Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Engine access panel in bedroom

I am trying to find the source of a small coolant leak that is coming from the top part of the engine block area, underneath the bedroom/closet, (2006 Intrigue, 400 ISL Cummins). I am thinking that it might be a leaky hose or fitting that I can't see from underneath.

So, I located the engine access panel in the bedroom. I lifted up the carpet and saw threes sides of a square plywood frame, with carpet pad stapled to it. I could not locate the fourth and final side, as it seemed that the carpet and plywood dead ended into the bottom closet rail. I don't want tear up the pad and carpet without knowing how it will open.

Does anyone know how it opens?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

in the closet

you have to go back into the closet. Not that bad to do.
2005 Allure ISL400.
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

If it has bolts holding it down look through the door in the back and locate them, remove then I had to use a 2x4 and pry off a motor picking eye to pop the lid up. Yours may be different.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
" I could not locate the fourth and final side, as it seemed that the carpet and plywood dead ended into the bottom closet rail. I don't want tear up the pad and carpet without knowing how it will open."

It does. You can pry up the front of the hatch enough to get a grip on it. Then as you pull up, you can slide the hatch out from underneath the closet rail. It is a really tight fit.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

Ok, thanks! I will try it today!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

With the slides out, I removed the closet doors and then the bottom rail, 4-6 screws. The the access panel is easy to get out. We have an oh six Intrigue.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

I also had to remove the closet rail and closet doors. Then I lifted the carpet, and took off the top carpet pad board. After that I removed all eight bolts from the 3/4 “ plywood hatch. Now, the plywood does not want to budge. I tried using pry bars, and other tools but I am afraid I’ll rip the plywood trying to pull it up. My next step will be going under the coach and trying to pop loose the panel with a metal post. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #8

EF, not sure where you live, but I wonder if humidity is swelling the wood? I pried mine fairly easily compared to what you are describing. I am wondering if a dehumidifier would help dry out the wood causing it to constrict.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #9

I have only pulled the cover on a 05 inspire and an 08 magna and both were steel covers.They both had wood with carpet. I cant believe it would be swelling and it should not need that much force. Force usually causes secondary repair needs. Pictures of what your working with would help. Also you should be able to visibly see the cover from the underside and confirm the dimensions with the topside area your working with.Take pictures for the help of other members please.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #10

I finally got it off. I posted the results under 'slow coolant leak"

Tags
engine, panel