Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Engine Brake ISL 425

The saga of my intermittent Engine Brake continues. I have replaced the OEM switch that CC install for Hi-Off-Lo at the dash, I have checked out all the connections in the bay under the driver and have isolated the Brakeswitch.com box out of the circuit, but no solution so far; except I now have a definitive repeatable time/distance frame. I know I can drive about 20 miles or so and then the engine brake starts to become intermittent for a couple of times then ceases completely (in either Lo or Hi setting). It does not resume after engine restart except after an undetermined period of the engine being off. After it fails the light at the OEM switch continues to work when the accelerator is released and Hi or Lo are selected, suggesting that the problem is after the switch.

I have now found a relay in the mix, in the drivers bay, it is a 301-1C-S-R1 12vdc, a simple plug and play black unit, it is in one of the Bussman fuse boxes along with other relays. I have ordered a replacement.

One of my issues is that to test any change requires an hour or so round trip to confirm.

I have been unable to find any advice to confirm that a relay could fail in this way; i.e. work for a short period then get stuck, maybe due to heat or whatever which clears itself after cooling down. I do not know how to test the original relay to confirm if it is the cause. Anyone have any clues or experience with relay failure?
2008 Allure

sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
The coil could be getting warm...

So connect it to a Battery, get a headlight and have the Relay provide its power.

If the contacts or coil are failing then this may simulate it.

All you need is some wire and connectors

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
SOLVED, I hope!
As previously mentioned I found a relay in the front drivers bay, which was labeled on the inside of the lid as "engine brake load relay". This relay is not described on any of my schematics, especially the page relating to the engine brake!! Although it is mentioned in the wiring list relative to about 5 or 6 wires.
I was able to test the replacement this morning and did well over the 20-30 miles which would have previously seen the engine brake fail, and it continued to work fine. Not only that but I am now able to feel the difference between Hi and Lo which frankly have have been unable to determine in the 18 month I have owned the coach!
So what was causing this relay to give up after a period in use or indeed what its function is specifically I have not a clue. But I hope this post will provide some insite (no pun intended on Cummins software) for anyone with a similar scenario.
2008 Allure 31683
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Accelerator Pedal wiring/ engine brake

Well, I thought I had cracked the engine brake issue I reported on with the replacement of a relay. That turned out to be a fluke it was not the fix the engine brake failed after 38 miles.
I had a dual fix, sort of, when I replaced the relay; I had also been grubbing around under the dash and had seen that the harness to the accelerator pedal was taut at full forward pedal slide extension. (Towards the driver) I tried to correct that and also checked the plug and wires for any problems.
So the coach went in for its annual service and the engine brake was fine. The mechanic took her to the local government test station (over here in the UK after a vehicle is 3 years old it has an annual test) and did 20 miles each way without an issue on the engine brake.
I collected her and was nearly home and the engine brake stopped working!!!!!!
I drove straight back to the garage
They looked at the accelerator connections and declared them OK. Various other checks revealed a Cummins service bulletin on Engine Brake wiring in the rocker box. A replacement harness and special clips were available for a solution to possible chaffing causing an intermittent fault. Well we all thought that was it.
I picked her up yesterday and once again was nearly home, and sitting at some lights, thought that the pedal slide was too close so moved it to suit me. Turned down the hill and the engine brake was not working!!! I stopped and fiddled with the plug and wires to the accelerator. The engine brake returned!! So it must be in this plug/wiring or switch.
What I find difficult is that I have no issues with the throttle itself so which of the 6 wires has an effect on the engine brake?
Anyone have any thoughts or help here?

2008 Allure Cummins ISL 425

brake, wiring