Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #1

Engine cranks but won't start

After removing the chassis battery cables to clean the posts and reinstalling the cables, the engine will not start. It cranks fine and everything else seems fine. I did not short either cable during the process but I did see a small spark when I remove the first cable. My guess is it is not getting fuel and its probably a fuse our circuit breaker but I don't know where to look.

Can someone enlighten me on the fuse and circuit breaker boxes with the clear covers on them? There seem to be amber and red LEDs next to each. There is one red LED on but no others of either color on. There is one of these boxes in the passengers side rear compartment and one on the drivers side front compartment.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #2

Cat or Cummins, engine ? Size ? Does the wait to start light come on , dash warning lights go through a bulb check ; on for 3 secs. after key turned?
Do you have a voltmeter or a test light?
Any chance you left a small wire off the chassis battery positive terminal.
Reason I ask is Cat engines the ECM, is supplied it's battery power with an inline fuse direct from the battery to the engine.
Cummins engines use as many as 5 fuses to supply battery power to the ECM. So checking all your fuses is in order.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #3

Cat C13, the book says C12 but the Cat folks tell me according to the numbers its a C13 525hp. I do have both a test light and a multi meter and know how to use them. All the dash lights work as usual. The wait to start illuminates for only a second or not at all if its warm. I'll definitely be checking the fuses in the morning, the rain shut me down for the night. I'll also double check that the ecm wire is connected.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
On my old mechanical Cummins I would check that the fuel shutdown solenoid is working.

If not I would wire it open to start the engine. Release the wire to stop the engine.

Not sure if electronic engines have such a gizmo.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

There's a hidden fuse in a wiring bundle going to the ECM. The fuse holder corroded on ours--could be your problem.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Well, it started this morning. I began to level the coach and it shut off during the process. I went and checked the LED in the HWH fuse /breaker box in the red LED next to fuse F9 was lit again. I pulled the fuse and the LED went out. I pressed the HWH reset and tried to start it with the fuse out and it started. I put the fuse in and it continued to run. I'm currently looking through the manual trying to find what fuse F9 is for. F9 is a 3 amp fuse.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Operating the levelers with the engine running may have triggered an over ride of some sort. Not 100% sure but worth a read , in the levelers instructions.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

I think the problem is solved. It seems there was an issue with the E-stop button in the engine compartment. It was stickining and not all the way released. I guess starting with the fuse removed was just coincidence.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

If it happens again check the battery ground cables where they attach to the frame, they may be loose. I had the same problem with my 2000 Magna with Cat engine.
Lewis Eden is offline   Reply With Quote