Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine running to activate slides

Our 2007 Allure has one Power Gear slide and 3 HWH slides. Power Gear slide works any time I hit the switch. However, I have found that I must have the Cummins running to move any of the HWH slides. This is not a problem and, in fact, I would often have to run the engine to do same on our former 2002 Winnebago Journey.

The chassis batteries are fairly new (2011) and show a full charge. I am guessing this particular HWH pump motor is very sensitive to low voltage. The 'Quick Guide' does say it is recommended to have either the genset or coach engine running to move slides unless you are on shore power. Mine only seem to work with the Cummins running. The coach does have a Xantrex Echo charge so the chassis batteries should be getting charged while on shore power.

Is this unusual for the CC's of this era?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2

My 2003 will not operate slides with engine running. Seems to be a safety issue to me.
You wouldn't want accidentally to extend the slide while trundling along at 60mph
My manual states don't operate slides unless air is fully inflated. This can be a pain because my procedure is:
Arrive:
1. extend slides
2. dump air
3 level. Must be done with ignition on so have to listen to the low-air alarm while levelling.

Depart:
1. raise jacks (while listening to alarm)
2. start motor to air up (fingers in ears)
3. STOP engine to retract slides
4. Start engine. Do final walkround and off....
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
My 2003 will not operate slides with engine running. Seems to be a safety issue to me.
You wouldn't want accidentally to extend the slide while trundling along at 60mph
My manual states don't operate slides unless air is fully inflated. This can be a pain because my procedure is:
Arrive:
1. extend slides
2. dump air
3 level. Must be done with ignition on so have to listen to the low-air alarm while levelling.

Depart:
1. raise jacks (while listening to alarm)
2. start motor to air up (fingers in ears)
3. STOP engine to retract slides
4. Start engine. Do final walkround and off....
My coach has air leveling only, no jacks. My procedure is:

1. level coach
2. extend slides

In reverse,

1. retract slides
2. push 'travel' mode on leveling system which ensures air bags are inflated to proper ride height.

Even though I am having to run the engine to move the slides, there is a key lock for each slide switch. Once the slide is retracted, you switch off that key lock which would prevent any slide deployment while moving.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Our 2007 Allure has one Power Gear slide and 3 HWH slides. Power Gear slide works any time I hit the switch. However, I have found that I must have the Cummins running to move any of the HWH slides. This is not a problem and, in fact, I would often have to run the engine to do same on our former 2002 Winnebago Journey.

The chassis batteries are fairly new (2011) and show a full charge. I am guessing this particular HWH pump motor is very sensitive to low voltage. The 'Quick Guide' does say it is recommended to have either the genset or coach engine running to move slides unless you are on shore power. Mine only seem to work with the Cummins running. The coach does have a Xantrex Echo charge so the chassis batteries should be getting charged while on shore power.

Is this unusual for the CC's of this era?
Unless CC changed something, you should not have to have the motor running to work the HWH slides. You should have to have the ignition in the "on" position and then the slides will run. It is best to have either the motor running or plugged into shore power just to be easier on the batteries but you don't have to. The slides run off of the house batteries.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #5

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'll have to check mine tomorrow. We're moving in then. So far I have had the engine running, but I will try it without the engine next. I'll try to remember to post back afterward.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
If this coach is set up like my Journey, the HWH pump motor was powered by the chassis batteries and not the house batteries. I did discover tonite that my Xantrex Echo Charger is not working so my chassis batteries are not being charged/maintained when I am plugged into shore power. I will be replacing the Echo charger with a Trik L Charge which I had on the other coach and it worked like a charm.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our Navistar coach procedure is modified so that when I arrive at site turn off engine. Connect utilities extend slides, dump air (NO BONGING) and lower jacks. To leave start engine (air up) raise jacks, and bring in slides. Go out and disconnect all utility connections. Drive off........... your procedure might be different. My coach wiring has been modified to accomplish the above, and I approve of the end results. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

I have always run the motor when moving the slides. I did that because they would not move with the motor off. I may try it with the key on but motor not running.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have always run the motor when moving the slides. I did that because they would not move with the motor off. I may try it with the key on but motor not running.
I do know that the HWH pump motor is a power hog so I think if the chassis battery voltage is below a certain level, the motor fails to run. In my case, my Echo charge gizmo is not working so my chassis battery voltage was at 12.5 V. Starting the Cummins boosts the voltage at the chassis batteries to about 14 volts which lets me move the slides.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

I have a 2002 CC and I can run my slide in with the key in the on position but I preffer to have the engine running. It will do nothing with the key in the off position.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #11

Retired Fire Service RVer's
06 Magna. Slides work with ignition key in Off position. I just verified this. Each year and model must be set up slightly different.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #12

2000 Magna and I have to have engine running to operate the slide. The manual that came with the coach says that the engine needs to be running.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #13

We are at a rally this weekend and I tried my slides with just the ignition key on but without the motor running. Slides worked great. Just as well as when the motor was running. Thank you to this forum for this bit of information.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
laj

03 magna slides work with engine off, and key in off position. I prefer to either have the engine running, or shore power to keep the voltage up. as said, slides are power hogs.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote