Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Engine -v- dash hours

Now that communication with the engine and transmission is now possible :-)

The Cat tech today advised that the engine ECM data showed a total of 803 'running' hours

This is a significant difference to the 719 hours shown on the dash

The small number of faults listed are all catalogued / referenced against engine hours - but in light of the disparity I was unable to expand the fault diagnosis / circumstances to assist the tech

(( Listing faults by engine hours in an 'on the road' engine, when everything is done in miles, makes real sense!! - but let us not go there !! ))

I am now noting the 'hours' at each journey to assist future diagnosis

Cat UK advised that they are unable to reduce / alter the engine ECM hours (they can advance but not remove hours)

Has anyone encountered this disparity before ?? / How was it solved ?? / Do we know if it is possible to alter the dash display hours ?? - if so, how ??

(Although 803 = 719 and so on, it would be nice if they could read the same)

Thanks in anticipation

Ian S.
2005 Allure 430 Hood River # 31321
Cat C9 400 bhp

IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

Ian; I'm not sure how many owners are aware of the engine hours recorded on the ECM, and how many other coaches have the info available on the dash display. I don't have access to the data on my dash, a shop tool has to be hooked up. But I'll tag along on your post for any info you manage to get from other members.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
The hour meter in the dash is usually "powered" from an switched power source (i.e. ignition switch is "on". This may be the case for yours. Maybe the power source was temporarily removed/disabled/failed for the dash hour meter.

Secondly the discrepancy could be attributed to the hour meter calibration in the dash? It measured a bit longer "hour" than the ECM?

I would trust the ECM, IMHO.

Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL
Toad: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi)
BrianGlenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club

For what little it's worth, my dash hour meter and odometer do not agree with ECM. The odometer is off by a few hundred miles and the hour meter is off by a dozen or so hours. Sorry but I don't remember which direction in either case.

This was revealed when I installed a Silverleaf VMSPC. The VMSPC takes its data from the ECM. I've never attempted to adjust the dash gauges to reconcile with the Silverleaf and would not have any idea how to do so.

The Silverleaf does have an offset function which allows one to adjust its readout to reconcile with the dash gauge, however. The respective units of time and distance rate of accumulation can also be adjusted to keep the two readouts in sync.

The ECM data is the true and correct representation. That said, I don't know what the situation would be if the ECM had to be replaced.

Good luck in resolving the discrepancy.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
Engine -v- dash hours - UPDATE

I have established that the dash gauges in the 2005 Allure were from Teleflex

The gauge product line is called Premier Line - Veethree Instruments of Florida - some of the gauges are no longer available in particular the larger speedometer and tachometer/hourmeter - many of the smaller gauges are also used in the marine market and are still available

The units will have shipped with less than 1 hour on the meter

The analogue hour meter has a design / shipping accuracy requirement of plus / minus 4%

The unit is sonically welded together and dismantling to manual alter the analogue display is not therefore really an option for fear of breakage

The hourmeter can therefore only be altered in real time

It requires a 12 volt feed and an ALTERNATING current of around 1.5 volts to the signal wire - this 'fools' the hour meter into thinking the engine is idling and the clock starts to advance

Hope this of assistance to others in the future

Thanks for your interest and responses

Ian S.
Exeter UK

CCAllure 430 - 2005
Cat C9
IanSmith-UK is offline   Reply With Quote

dash, engine