Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Engine would not turn over...

after sitting for a couple of months. The CC was plugged into shore power the whole time. I thought the batteries for the engine would also be charging as the house batteries do. I Hooked up a battery charge for 10 minutes and she fired right up..Any thoughts?

2005 Country Coach Allure
ISL 400

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkgunner View Post
after sitting for a couple of months. The CC was plugged into shore power the whole time. I thought the batteries for the engine would also be charging as the house batteries do. I Hooked up a battery charge for 10 minutes and she fired right up..Any thoughts?

ISL 400
Gunner,

I suspect your echo charger has failed. Not unusual. If this is the case I recommend you trash the Xantrex product and replace it with a the Magnum Battery Combiner. Much better at doing it's job. Mine is located in with the chassis battery up high, not easy to see. I know others can be found in different locations.

Magnum Energy ME-SBC Smart Battery Combiner Compatible with 12V or 24V Systems

Old 08-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #3

if you don't store it under a shelter try a solar charger.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

Hi folks,
After reading many post about the same problem I am having, I decided to buy a Magnum Battery Combiner and not mess around..

How tough is it to install? Any pointers?

I checked with Magnum Energys web site and they have no mention of this product. Are they still surpporting it?

Thanks for the answers, have a great day!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #5

I got mine here Magnum Me SBC Smart Battery Combiner 25A Combines 2 Battery Banks for Charging | eBay
and wired it up in my shop using #12 blue wire and put a strip on the starter wire with felt pen. I moved mine to a spot where I can see it when I open the battery door.
I used the same water tight fuse holder from the old one.
This is what you are looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-82-012...x+echo+charger
On mine
Connect 13.3V
Low V 12.9
High V 14.3
Then I placed a volt meter in the power port on the dash, can check the chassis batter by looking in the front door
http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products...rds=volt+meter
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #6

I had the same problem as you last winter. I did as 2stroker recommended on my 2007 Inspire and it now works fine.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

I ordered the Magnum Me SBC Smart Battery Combiner 25A Combines 2 Battery Banks for Charging and am waiting for it to arrive. Looks like it will be an easy install.

Thanks all!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #8

Installed the Magnum today..

unplugged from shore power and removed the other charging unit. Connected the 3 wires and checked the fuses..All looks good..hit the reset and the Green Status light goes on but a few seconds later the "Disconnect" yellow comes on..Having lunch but will check later today. The meter arrived today so I will plug that in..

Note: I set it up as 2Stroker mentioned;
Connect 13.3V
Low V 12.9
High V 14.3
Old 08-28-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV's charge both batteries off Shore, Some house and if a fuse or breaker is blown;/tripped Neither. (or if the converter is unplugged (In at least my case not all can be) or ... defective.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On my 99 Country Coach I never knew there was a problem, but I did notice that the starting battery didn't charge from shore power, so I just hooked a pair of jumper cables from the house batteries to the starting battery when stored for any amount of time. Worked fine and never had any problems with my $15 jumper cable fix.
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
unplugged from shore power and removed the other charging unit. Connected the 3 wires and checked the fuses..All looks good..hit the reset and the Green Status light goes on but a few seconds later the "Disconnect" yellow comes on..Having lunch but will check later today. The meter arrived today so I will plug that in..

Connect 13.3V
Low V 12.9
High V 14.3
It could be that your chassis battery is so discharged, the combiner won't work. I would use an external charger to bring the chassis battery up to 12.7 (at rest) and then see what happens. It could be that your battery is toast.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #12

Quote:

Connect 13.3V
Low V 12.9
High V 14.3
Gunner,

What you are looking for is that your chassis battery is being charged the same time your house batterers are. So when you disconnect the charger the voltage in the house batteries will drop fairly quickly below the 5.9v setting and the battery combiner will disconnect to make sure the chassis battery does not discharge the house batteries. It is normal for the yellow light be to be on when you are NOT connected to shore power. The green light should be on whenever you are connected to shore power and the charger is operating.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

ISL 400
My coach is older than yours ('90 CC Concept) and likely a different configuration but I am certain that my chassis batteries are not being charged when plugged into shore power. They only get charged when either the engine is running or if I use the continuous "Boost" switch to jump start the chassis batteries off the running generator.

I recently had to replace this boost relay solenoid. It failed and welded itself shut and the chassis battery drained down as a result of being grounded out. I also have a separate momentary boost switch to jumpstart the generator from the chassis batteries if needed. In any case, my chassis batteries are not connected to my house batteries in any manner. Hope this helps.

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
1997 Jeep Wrangler, Blue Ox
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine