Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Entry door whistles

I had a look at a 2004 Intrigue last weekend. It's dealer owned and this issue would have to be repaired for me to make a deal, but wanted to get an idea of what you folks have to say.

The entry door doesn't seem to close very tight and there is a whistle somewhere around the door at highway speed. Has anyone had this issue before and what was the solution to the problem? Now, I am assuming the whistle is coming from the door, I may be wrong.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #2

You can check the door seal just like you check a fridge with a dollar bill. See how tight the dollar is to pull when door is closed. This is a very common problem and can be repaired with weather striping. Tom 04 Essex
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Keep hunting for a different rig, unless you see an obvious fix. That will get annoying fast, plus what if the house is flexed?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I thought my door had wind noise so here is what I did. I got in the coach, shut the door and had a friend seal the entire door frame with masking tape so there was no gap at all. I then drove the coach and still had the wind noise. You should do the same.

Found mine to be the mirror on the pax side. Adjusting the mirror got rid of the wind noise.

This is on a '02 Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

I have a 2002 Affinity. We had an air noise in the door when we got our coach 4 1/2 years ago. I sprayed it with WD40 and the noise went away. It has never come back. I think our door fits fairly well though. I say fairly well as it is not as snug as the doors on my wife's acura MDX.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found that that door awning arms made noise on my HR put foam pipe inside arm. quiet as a mouse now.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

We worked for a few months to get rid of our door noise on a 2004 Allure. To add to what the others have suggested:

-Check to see if the door window has weep holes, if yes, bet the covers for them if missing.
-After years of closing, the doors latches can get out of alignment. A competent repairman can adjust this to make it a snugger closing.
-We added standard 1/4" foam insulation around the door, attached to the door itself, and that helped greatly.
-Yes to the mirror adjustment. I swapped the two headed mirror with three headed units (wanted the top mirror for looking up when backing in). Gog mine from a RV Surplus store that bough much of the Monaco inventory when they closed up shop. This seemed to reduce the whistle from that area.
-While not involved on our coach. We did hear of whistle sound from the windshield gasket area. When we were testing, we blue taped the windscreen on the passenger side. (Sometimes the seals break loose just enough, to allow a small whistle via gaps.)

And yes it was annoying at times. Even now, in just the right cross winds, we get a bit of wind noise. But the combo of the door adjustment, and 1/4" insulation made the difference on our coach.

Best to luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Why not have the seller fix the air whistle noise before you purchase the rig?

At 10 years old the adjustments mentioned above or door jamb, door striker, or door hinge might need adjustment.

We have replaced the weather stripping and I have also used a 2x4 against the door edge with a tap from the sledge hammer to adjust our door. No whistle now.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I fought the same thing on my last coach from the time it was new for about 4 years. Finally a trip to the factory where the trued the door with a large door jig and got 90% of the wind noise out. The other 10% was trial and error with different sizes of weather stripping. Got rid of all of it except in a quartering head wind, it would still whistle.

Check and see if any of the dealers in your area have a door jig....larger shops do from what I was told.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

Eliminating the whistle will definitely be a requirement before I make a deal. I posted this so I would have a better understanding when the dealer begins to tell me what they did to remedy the problem. I feel pretty good about this dealer and don't think they would try to pull a fast one just to make the sale, but now I have a little more knowledge about whistling noise. I would have never considered it may be coming from the mirror.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

If you have a air leak around the door it is always possible that the coach has been in an accident and not properly repaired. Look under the front of the coach and under the door area to see if there is any damage to the frame or other structures that have been repaired.

Tags
door