Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Erratic Slide Behavior

We have two HWH hydraulic slides. A small bedroom and a larger living room slide. Both are hydraulically actuated. The bedroom slide has adopted the habit of partially extending and then stopping even if the "extend" switch is held down.

To a point this was normal. It would move part way out and stop. If the "extend" switch was held down, the hydraulic pump would kick on and move the slide out for the rest of its travel.

Now when the bedroom slide stops the hydraulic pump does not spool up unless and until the living room slide is extended. The living room slide does not have to be fully extended. Moving it only and inch or two is enough to cause the hydraulic pump to come on and fully extend the bedroom slide.

It's like there's an interlock that's not getting satisfied. Or the drop in hydraulic pressure is not enough to be seen by a sensor that energizes the hydraulic pump.

Anyone seen anything like this in the past?

TIA

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in the first bay at driver side? that is the only thing i can think of. or a call to hwh might help too.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
have you checked the hydraulic fluid level in the first bay at driver side? that is the only thing i can think of. or a call to hwh might help too.
And is their not a filer in the mix too(?).

HWW is also pretty good at providing phone tech support, could be worth a call.

Best,
Smitty
Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #4

I had a switch problem on the activation switch on the wall that would engage the pump but the slide would not go out. If you can find one they are relatively cheap. These switches activate the pump on one side and the solenoid that lets the fluid go to the rams on the other. I imagine if the other contacts go out it might only let the slide go out so far and not engage the pump. You could probably check the switch with a multi meter.
Good luck
Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses. We're on the road right now. Will post results when they become known.

A blown transfer switch interrupted pursuit of the slide problem.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 01-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

I did get a chance to check the oil and it is at the correct level.

Another data point was confirmed this morning - the problem does not arise when retracting the slide, only when extending it.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

Prior to the switch replacement I had the same symptoms. The slide would have problems going out but no problems retracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
I did get a chance to check the oil and it is at the correct level.

Another data point was confirmed this morning - the problem does not arise when retracting the slide, only when extending it.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #8

Is your switch like this one?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

Switch

Yup that's the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Is your switch like this one?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Yup that's the one.
Thanks. Now that we're settled for a couple of months in north Phoenix, I've got nice weather and time to look into this.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #11

Pumper has a good idea here. I had the same problem with extension and it was one side of the switch shown in the picture. The switch is actually a two in one with one side running the pump and the other side releases the solenoid. I posted pictures of the dissected switch on the CC Yahoo forums. A small "tit" on one of the pins wears off allowing that side to become inoperable.

A new switch from HWH is about 8 bux.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #12

Got a chance to ohm out the switch today and it turned out to be fine. Discovered that the HWH documentation is missing from our accordion file folder. Determining the applicability of the HWH stuff available online is confusing. So I'll give them a call next week. There's a 5 pin automotive relay next to and wired into the switch. Am wondering... I'll just wait and talk to HWH.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #13

Another thing Dave. Our friends had slide problems and they found a broken trace on the circuit board that the switch attaches to. Might want to get your magnifying glass out and take a look

Tags
slide