Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

Exhaust brake not coming on.

1993 cc magna, gillig chassis. I flip the switch on the dash and nothing happens. Any ideas how to start diagnosing this problem?

bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have any manuals to see where the fuse for the exhaust brake might be located? If not start looking at all the 12vdc fuse panels you can find and see if you can locate it (12vdc side of the exhaust brake) then Find the air line going to the exhaust brake cylinder, take the air line off at the cylinder and just use a air nozzle and push air into the cylinder and see if it moves, this will tell you if it is froze up. So if it moves reinstall the air line and follow it till it comes to a solinoid valve,Try and pop the switch out of the dash and make sure you have 12 vdc on one side of the switch and then You will have to take the solinoid valve out to test it as your coach has to be above a pre set speed to activate the 12vdc signal to the solinoid valve through the ecm. Let us know how this turn out and where you are at.

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
This is probably limited to my coach only but...there is a switch mounted on engine at the throttle once the throttle is closed the exhaust brake comes on, (if your dash switch is on) mine had ground wire hanging loose, reattached and now it works, when I replaced my fuel filters I hit it with my arm and thats when I figured out how it came loose the first time.
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 98,000 miles, Coach #4904
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
1993 cc magna, gillig chassis. I flip the switch on the dash and nothing happens. Any ideas how to start diagnosing this problem?
These might apply:

Cruise Control off for the test.
Releasing the accelerator causes it to engage.

Be above 35 mph to test the exhaust brake operation.
Does the exhaust brake light on the dash illuminate?

If still not working (tranny should downshift at the same time) then run a 12v positive wire direct to the solenoid near the exhaust brake to see if it triggers with power. If not, perhaps a fuse or ground wire problem.

If it triggers but the flap valve does not move, it is frozen open due to disuse/rust. Lube it with high temp superlube or similar and work the flap to break it loose.

Frozen open means it will not stop vehicle. Frozen closed will remove most acceleration power.

Lube it once a year. I leave the exhaust brake on almost all the time except in some city traffic situations which seems to help prevent siezure.

Go to the Pak Brake website for specifics and diagrams.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You should be able to close the Pac Brake by hand with a little force. If it won't move, it is frozen. I had to tap mine with a hammer one time to free it up. Then Lube it up with the correct oil and move it until it opens and closes freely. It should snap open when it is working correctly. I also put a squirt in the air cylinder. I hope this helps.
95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #6

I will check it out and report later in the week, hope to bring this coach home on Thursday!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #7

Turned out it was a bad switch on the motor at the throttle. Easy fix!