Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Exhaust brake question

We finally have the CC Intrigue ready to head west to Seattle, We will be heading from Iowa to Salt Lake City to Portland and Eugene then to Seattle. On that drive I suspect I will need to utilize the exhaust brake. So far in Iowa I have tried it around town and on a few short but steep hills. When engaged (switch down/forward) the transmission drops to 4th gear and the speed appears to stabilize around 40 mph. Of course before it really can work I have reached the bottom of the hill and need to accelerate. So my question is what happens and what speed will the exhaust brake hold when placed in the switch down/rear position? I assume this will be more aggressive but do not know. Will this position drop the transmission to 2nd gear? When would it be appropriate to use this exhaust brake position? I really would rather not experiment on Interstate 80 as I head west! While I have traveled these highways with my 38' gasser pulling my jeep I have never had air brakes or an exhaust brake so I am struggling a bit. Any information you can provide will be much appreciated!
Thanks for your time and help,

Ed and Barb Burgess
2004 42' Country Coach Tag, Intrigue
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a two position switch it sure sounds like you do NOT have an Exhaust Brake but rather an Engine Brake.

Two different animals.

Maybe this will help you understand the difference and how each works.

HowStuffWorks "How Engine Brakes Work"

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
The brake comes on when you have removed pressure on the throttle. I keep mine on and set to high when driving so if I have a panic stop I have help stopping. When descending a hill I start with low and if its not holding at that speed I move to med and then high. I rarely need high and I keep my decent speeds within reason. I hardly ever need to use brakes and I never downshift manually. Experiment with how the brake works with cruise on and off.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Pretty sure you have a two-stage Jake brake rather than an exhaust brake. When you turn the Jake on, the transmission will downshift to 4th gear unless your speed is too high. It will not downshift to a lower gear unless you manually do so. Our transmission downshifts all the way to 2nd gear--manufacturers changed this due to some owners complained about the harsh braking in lower gears. You can have this reprogrammed if you wish. The lower the gear the Jake brake is in, the greater the braking. With the Jake brake on high and in 2nd gear, it will feel like you threw out a boat anchor!
The two-stage Jake brake will use either three or six cylinders for braking. Appropriately used, with a Jake brake you hardly need service brakes while on the highway.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote