Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Exploding Air Bags

2006 Intrique 450. While parked, the electric compressor apparently runs continuously and it exploded a front air bag last week. Replaced both front air bags and yesterday "Boom" the Left Rear tag bag blew. I'm guessing the leveling system is malfunctioning and thinking it needs to level the coach.

Shouldn't there be a high pressure relief on that system down in the front run bay? Also, it seems like the cut in/Cut out switch must be malfunctioning. Where are those two items located? The compressor starts but never shuts off. ??? This is my neighbor's rig and I have not had a chance yet to consult the manual and troubleshoot. I know my HWH air leveling system times out and stops the compressor eventually if excessive slope is encountered.

My friend has a lot more issues with his Intrique in one year than I've had with my 2000 Magna in three years and 30,000 miles.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd think the pressure regulator on the electric compressor is malfunctioning. I'd pull the fuse on the compressor until you figure out the problem, air springs aren't cheap. I'm guessing the RV also has an engine driven compressor for brakes and ride height while traveling?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

There should be a high pressure switch that shuts the compressor off. Mine also has a relief valve that should also prevent over pressurization.

The original Thomas compressor only puts out .24 CFM at 100 psi. That is why the compressor seems to run forever when it is re-leveling. I replaced my original compressor with a Viair Compressor that puts out .98 CFM at 100 psi. This compressor re-levels much faster.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #4

I went over to the coach last night for more discovery. Number one; there is a regulator on the water separator installed in the output line from the compressor. That regulator was cranked all the way up so the compressor could have been putting lots of pressure into the system with no outlet? Number two; the tag axle was lifted and I think you need to have the tag down in order for leveling to work. We replaced the blown air bags and it seems to function normally now with the tag down.

I was unable to locate the cutin/cutout switch for the system. The relay that controls the compressor is mounted right on the back side of the water separator. And it appears to be wired through a fuse direct to the HWH panel in the front run bay. (more to come on that).

I'm sure it was operator error on the part of my neighbor, but it seemed very odd that it could explode air bags; maybe the regulator turned way up combined with an excess slope situation.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #5

it should not be able to "pop" airbags, they are designed to run pretty high impact resistance and either way, one corner would be way way way up ion the air before they blew.

I am curious if this was more of a slight error coupled with dry rot in the airbags or something. We had one of ours over inflate once when a leveling valve actuator arm mount broke an the corner of the coach way sky high.
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #6

something is missing. the air system would not have the capacity to blow a bag. If it got that high you would have ride height valves and air dryers coming apart first.blow off valves are built into the purge valves.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #7

Yah this is a strange one for sure. He has a trip planned to Michigan next week so we'll see how it goes.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN

Tags
air