Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Feasibility Study Replacing propane gas cooktop with Induction burners

What if I removed the gas cooktop and replaced it with induction burners on my 2007 Allure. Could I remove the propane tank (that has not been filled in 8 years) and enclose that compartment for additional storage?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Creek View Post
What if I removed the gas cooktop and replaced it with induction burners on my 2007 Allure. Could I remove the propane tank (that has not been filled in 8 years) and enclose that compartment for additional storage?
Of course. If you don't need propane, get rid of it.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

I would think the biggest challenge is getting the proper wiring to the (new) cook top. Are they 120 or 240? I'm sure you'd want them on dedicated circuit breakers.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Induction and radiant cook tops can be had in 120 VAC. I'd consider carefully in making the radiant vs induction decision. Home Depot, Walmart, etc. Have two-element, glass top, radiant cook tops for under $300.

Induction Cooking

Since I do the cooking my order of preference is gas, radiant, induction. Our new-to-us coach is all electric and has a two element radiant cook top.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
HD has a two burner radiant cook top that is about $280 and gets good reviews. 120VAC, 20 amp.

Fits in a 12" x 20" space. It certainly has me thinking. We can't think of a time when we'd ever need more than two burners and that compartment, with LP tank removed, would be handy
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I you have not USED propane in 8 years. by all means go ahead.

Advantages propane cooktop: Most top chefs prefer a gas stove to an electric, Propane cooktops work with all types of cooking vessels, Glass, Aluminum, Stainless, Cast iron or other If there is some slight "Damage" (Dent) no problem, you have full control of the "Flame" from lowest to highest, It is beyond a doubt the best way to cook if you are actually cooking and not just boiling water.

Electric: ALL electric, you have far less control. plus if there is damage to the pan efficiency suffers (Dents)

Induction: only works with SOME pots and pans, Glass for example will not work with Induction. Some metals are better than others.

PLUS: if you ever pull off into a boondock or Wal*Dock type spot for the night, You need electricity to power the electric range.

(Of course at a Wal*Dock there is usually somewhere you can pay to eat handy).
Old 04-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

Thanks for all the good advice. Guess I'll stay with the propane.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

Another option is to keep a propane cook top and use a portable single or two burner induction unit. That is what we do.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
Another option is to keep a propane cook top and use a portable single or two burner induction unit. That is what we do.
I agree with this idea. In fact, a buddy of mine was all set on ordering induction on his next rv, so he bought a portable one just to try it out. They decided against them altogether. Apparently boiling water is awesome on those things, but the heat is fairly focused in the center of the pan, and the heat didn't dissipate well across the bottom of the pan. Better to have experienced it with a portable than to convert and be stuck with it.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jablair View Post
We're kind of doing the flip side of that. With the new-to-us Affinity and the 2 element radiant range, I'm carrying a propane gas hotplate and 5 lb cylinder. Practically speaking it can only be used outside so it's fussy to set up for everyday cooking. But when you need that capability there is no substitute. Plus DW loves the idea of all the fall out from frying something stays outside and does not land on the stove or back-splash.

Also, we have found that a two-burner stove is preferred, be it gas or electric. I cannot recall needing the third burner and two burners allows the simultaneous use of two larger pans.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Another angle could be to keep the gas cooktop ant replace the large propane tank with a twenty pound portable tank, allowing you to use most of that area for storage. Just need vented area for the smaller tank.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #12

Different strokes for different folks! And, that is for sure OK!

I like propane for the added ability it provides in case of need. I do not understand why even in higher end coaches, they still seem to use the cheapest range tops around!

We're planning to add a single counter top induction burner. And I've got down in our 'B' priority - swapping out the stove top with a higher quality unit.

As far as propane, we did keep our Norcold 1200 as again for emergency situations and extended boondocking, I wanted to maintain the propane options. (I've added the amish cooling unit, extra pancake fans, smoke detector in the back of the fridge, and SS30 extinquisher.) I've also added a high pressure stubbed out valve into the coach, for use of the big tank with our Heat Buddy. And finally, I've added both an extended stay valve and stubbed out a second valve in the propane storage area, for use with a hose to the Webber Q and The Amazing Camp Fire In A Can (It's amazing!). I do carry a 5 lb tank took, so we can move the Fire to a different location if we want.

So even if you go with pure electric all around within the coach, do you have any planned usage for outside Propane needs?

And to be clear, I'm not knocking those who prefer all electric rigs. I've also beefed up my electric with 800AH bank of Lifeline's and 1200W of Solar Panels. I will probably only need to run the generator for house AC duty, and after multiple days of limited to no (6" of snow on top) sun days! So I do see the ability of all electric as of course a viable alternative.

No right or wrong, just personal choices on this one.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knob Creek View Post
Get this induction cooktop ....it's made for RV and works on 120v

http://www.trueinduction.com/rvinfo.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2508582793.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	60159  

Tags
gas, propane