Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
TTD

First "bad" Country Coach build item.

So overall, everytime I have to do something on my coach, I am generally pleased with how Country Coach built my unit.

I spent this weekend fixing a bathroom leak and found my first "bad design" item.

The actual leak was from a threaded joint in the pex pipe where CC intalled a shut off valve. The fix was simply tightening the threads a couple of turns... which I would have been able to do through the access panel they provide.

The problem was the PEX line was obviously installed first in the very corner (where the floor and walls touch), and then the black and gray tank drain pipes were installed... directly on top of the pex line!

This made getting to the threaded connection virtually impossible, as well as making the shutoff valve useless because you cannot turn it ... as the black drain pipes are in the way (it's a flat handle shutoff valve - not a round one - so impossible to turn with pipes sitting on it).

Oh well... I eventually got it done, but it turned a 2 minute job into a full day. Instead of just using the access panel, I had to take the entire cabinet behind the toilet off... and then mess with the drain pipes... which led to me replacing some discharge hoses for the macerator toilet.

Oh well... at least I know it is done right this time... unlike when Lazydays "fixed" it the first time.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

I feel your pain! We're you working in rear full bath? If so, then QUIT COMPLAINING! (sarcasm font needed)

If you ever find that your Silverleaf electronics dash display won't remember the correct time you're in for a treat. Country Coach, in their wisdom, stowed away some vital electronics that are part of your dash Silverleaf VMS electronics display and automatic generator start (AGS) system. The hidden electronics are responsible for your AGS and system clock. The big secret is that the electronics are hidden in your half-bath vanity and there's a critical battery that must be replaced when it runs down.

No, not where you can see it, but instead behind a false wall. No, not a false wall that is marked or has a finger hole in it to help with it's removal, but completely hidden. When looking inside and underneath your vanity, it's the right hand side wall. But don't try to remove the wall first. First, you have to remove the false floor of the base cabinet. No, there's not finger hole in it either. You have to search out the hidden screws in the carpeted floor and find a way to get the floor completely out of the base cabinet before attempting to remove the right wall. There's only one, correct, magical way to do this. It's a lot like those interlocking bent nail puzzles that somehow just fall apart and you can't figure out how it happened .

Anyway, the right removes with several long wood screws, a few short ones, and the fun starts all over again as you try to remove the plywood from the cabinet as well. All this before you can even see the electronics module that I'm describing! The module must be unscrewed and removed to replace a single button battery within it. The real fun starts, though, in fitting and reinstalling the module and panels that your removed.

Now, with all that described, think about doing this in you half-bath where there's about 18" of space between the cabinet and toilet! In hindsight it may have been easier to remove the toilet before starting. But that would have dictated that I knew the module was there in the first place. At least you'll know that you're not digging in vain.

Now, it may be that CC put your AGS module somewhere besides where I just described as it seems that they have stuffed that module in many other places and Silverleaf tries to keep a record of them. They didn't know about this one until I discovered it. Can you imagine how much detective work it took to do so?!
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did you buy the CC new or used? That sure doesn't seem like what CC would do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
I feel your pain! We're you working in rear full bath? If so, then QUIT COMPLAINING! (sarcasm font needed)
LOL... yeah, I agree that working in the full bath did make things easier.

Hopefully I won't have to deal with the Silverleaf issue.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Did you buy the CC new or used? That sure doesn't seem like what CC would do.
If you're asking me, Mr.D, then I'm the second owner, but I do know the Silverleaf AGS location is original to CC. Silverleaf knew of this, and pleaded with them to wire it to continuous power so the battery wouldn't run down but it fell on deaf ears. I changed the wiring to the recommended "continuously powered" method when I was messing with it.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #6

Can Confirm!

The Silverleaf "Brain" in my '04 Magna is indeed under the vanity cabinet in the toilet room. Given the rest of the system is in the dash...and there's plenty of room for the remainder; I can't come up with a good idea of why they chose to put the AGS control, etc under a slew of plumbing fixtures and pipes...a good 30ft back. Just one small leak could easily fry that module. There must have been some good reasoning...right?

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
country coach