Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 04:40 AM   #1

First Coach...now what??

Greetings everyone,

Vicki and I have finally purchased our first Coach. A 2004 Intrigue "Suite Serenade".
We are due to pick it up this week. So the question is what necessary (Need) items should we be looking into picking up (Will work on the wants later)
Tools that are handy? Spare parts possibly I hear a HCV is usually good to have on hand (After lurking here the past week)
Things we should look more in depth to on the coach, now that we will have more time to really see what we have gotten into

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Great Forum here! Looking forward to engaging with you all,

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 05:07 AM   #2

Spare belts, fuses, and fuel filters.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
First Coach...now what??
Go west young man! I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Plus for you I guess that would be, "Go East young man".

I don't think you said if you're towing or if you're going to be FT'ing.

My advice is to use it at a close campground and just get what you need as you see a need. That's what we did. Walmart was only 3 miles away.

Random thought of the day....... we seem to use a lot of the large Zip-lock bags. Also, we just picked up a label maker. Very nice addition.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

Congratulations. Surge protector,tire pressure monitor,coachnet or good Sam.

Check out radiator good. See if you have a pto and if you do if a wet kit has been installed on it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Has TPM system
Insured through Good Sam with Good Sam Package
Not sure if it has Surge protector or Electrical Monitoring System. Was thinking about that earlier...Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on what maintenance/service items the seller has done/is doing, you may need to plan on setting aside some $$ to get critical service items up to date. A 13 year old coach may need some things addressed. Some items might include: fuel filters, air filter, air dryer service, generator service, serpentine belt, coolant hoses, coolant system drain-flush-refill, batteries, chassis lube, hydraulic fluid filters. If the generator has more than 1,000 hours, Onan recommends a full service which includes valve adjustment, new coolant hoses, new thermostat, temp sensor, water pump belt, along with the basic service of oil change, oil-fuel-air filters.

Aqua Hot/Hydro Hot may need annual service. They are great but need regular maintenance to operate properly.

Coach likely has factory-installed surge protector and should have the Intellitec energy management system. If no surge protector, Progressive Industries surge protector is highly recommended.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #7

Good advice above,,, make your first trip close to home. Check the Date codes of the tires. A "drinking" water hose, and filter, sewer hose, surge protector , assorted fuses, other than that, have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff... It will fall into place over time.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
TR4

I don't know if you already have this, but this is one of the most used upgrades l purchased.

SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower

Bill
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #9

Without a doubt, I would have Kevin Waite check it from top to bottom.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Join FMCA, then join the Northwest Country Coachers chapter. We have a bunch of Country Coach owners in the Wa, Or, and surrounding area that get together for rallies of friendship.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #11

Other may disagree but this is our list and when we get a new coach this is what I will do.
1. Get a notebook and have the seller operate EVERY system on the coach and make notes on what he did or did not do.
IF anything squawks, jump on here and let us help. Little things can be huge things or nothing. But make sure you know what it is. Call Greg Bootes and CC (you will get to know and love him)
2. Get any and all service history and find out when the last service was done on everything
3. Date codes on the tires and the tow insurance from Good Sam are a must. We had to be towed 2.5 hours into Billings for a busted throttle cable once. The bill was, well..... We will pay good sam the rest of our lives and still be way ahead
4. MANUALS are worth their weight in gold on these coaches. Every single bit of documentation but the manuals are a big deal.
5. check anything aftermarket carefully. CC built awesome coaches and things still go wrong over time, aftermarket stuff in my opinion was not near the original quality and the workmanship to install may be suspect.
6. Check for ANY water leaks or drips everywhere and address them asap.

As far as things we love, we keep a case of bottled water at all times, odor chems for the black and grey water.
Look up the instructions in the manual for sanitizing your fresh water. Some people (like us) do it every year some don't.
if its your first coach, do everything with the thought that items shift during flight and space might be an issue
go slow and have fun, that's what this is all about. Others race to the airport, for us vacation starts in the driveway
Welcome Aboard and you chose a great coach, we are looking for our second now!!
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Congratulations. Surge protector,tire pressure monitor,coachnet or good Sam.

Check out radiator good. See if you have a pto and if you do if a wet kit has been installed on it.
Mike what is the pto and what is the wet kit?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Depending on what maintenance/service items the seller has done/is doing, you may need to plan on setting aside some $$ to get critical service items up to date. A 13 year old coach may need some things addressed. Some items might include: fuel filters, air filter, air dryer service, generator service, serpentine belt, coolant hoses, coolant system drain-flush-refill, batteries, chassis lube, hydraulic fluid filters. If the generator has more than 1,000 hours, Onan recommends a full service which includes valve adjustment, new coolant hoses, new thermostat, temp sensor, water pump belt, along with the basic service of oil change, oil-fuel-air filters.

Aqua Hot/Hydro Hot may need annual service. They are great but need regular maintenance to operate properly.

Coach likely has factory-installed surge protector and should have the Intellitec energy management system. If no surge protector, Progressive Industries surge protector is highly recommended.
smlRanger good idea.
Gen only has about 270hrs. Coach has 39K . What does the round about service run? I like working on my own truck and wouldn't mind doing some of the service myself, a good way to get to know the rig. But also don't mind letting someone else do work as well.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Good advice above,,, make your first trip close to home. Check the Date codes of the tires. A "drinking" water hose, and filter, sewer hose, surge protector , assorted fuses, other than that, have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff... It will fall into place over time.
Monkey
I like the don't sweat the small stuff
Tires are a little over a year. Tag Axle tires are being replaced
Though about the hoses I am not sure but I think the coach has water filters and pressure regulator but will check
Any thoughts on sewer hose? Brand? Length?