Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #15

The One We are Considering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
sorry duplicate post. I'll add a pic

The one we are considering:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	233795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	233796  

USA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Thanks Mike!!

Not sure of the years that Gillig had the Velvet Ride, but I thought I remembered
that some of the 36' Concept's were on the Gillig(?) and Magna's too(?).

Here is one link that talks about Velvet Ride...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/safa...ion-78938.html

I just ran into a gent here at Lost Dutchman State Park with an 04 Intrigue Sweet Sensation. I noticed the exhaust was on the passenger side, with usually means something is 'purring' inside the back end (CAT!). Asked if it was a C13, and he said nope - it's the C12 with 505HP... I tell you, M11/ISM, C12, DD-60's, C13 - none of those engines would ever be rejected by me!

I do like our CAPS era ISL, but do feel it is at times, working a bit harder then I'd like... And like the larger displacement Braking Horsepower of the bigger
blocks! But zero complaints on MPG...

Best to you, and all,
Smitty

I think you are confusing the magnum chassis with the Magna coach.
Safari magnum chassis had a bunch of problems with the velvet ride and trailing arms.
As far as I know their is no Gillig chassis with the BFG velvet ride but I could be wrong.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #17

Mike Brez,

Thank you! This is exactly the information we are looking for! With the number of miles we drive, we needed to "Count the Cost" in that area. We have mainly had Newmar products and everytime we have stepped out of the Newmar ring, we hear their motto "Newmar - When you know the Differance" clanging in our heads. So I am still somewhat hesitant on a non Newmar product. We have not actually looked at it, but plan a trip soon. Yes, we are aware that there are no slides and that will take some getting use to. But with slides comes dust, pollen, water and etc into the coach and with slides it is harder to heat. We plan on removing the couch and putting in a desk (did I say we still work?). But I still look for a Mountain Aire DP. It still maybe a couple of weeks, but should we decide to "pull the trigger", I will let you know.

Again, Thank you for your time and "Two Cents"!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Mike is the owner I first though of when I read the OP's post! And hope he know the answer to this question.

Are not some of the Gillig Bus Chassis coaches with BF Goodrich's Velvet Ride? And I believe I recall reading that locating replacement components for the BF Goodrich's Velvet Ride rubber (or rubber like) components was becoming difficult(?). Not all Gillig chassis in CC's have the BF Goodrich Velvet Ride, so it would be specific Gillig chassis related, not all of them. And the Gillig chassis has a good reputation under some of the later higher end CC Concept and Magna models. (Don't recall if Intrigue had a Gillig chassis or not(?).

Me? I'd rather have a DD 60 series over a 40 series. (60 Series is one of my favorite engines.).

All that being said, if the coach you're looking at is in well cared for with good documentation - and more important, it meets your needs - DD 40 and if it has Velvet Ride, would not keep me from considering it... For sure, the CC's of that era were well designed and built!

Best of luck to you on your hunt,
Smitty
Smitty,

Thank you for your advice and encouragement!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Arch has a pair of good eyes . Notice the OP's id is USA Traveler; imagine he/she/they are working while on the go 30k miles isn't out of boundary.

(OP has not returned yet)
Country Fit,

You are correct! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Mike!!

Not sure of the years that Gillig had the Velvet Ride, but I thought I remembered
that some of the 36' Concept's were on the Gillig(?) and Magna's too(?).

Here is one link that talks about Velvet Ride...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/safa...ion-78938.html

I just ran into a gent here at Lost Dutchman State Park with an 04 Intrigue Sweet Sensation. I noticed the exhaust was on the passenger side, with usually means something is 'purring' inside the back end (CAT!). Asked if it was a C13, and he said nope - it's the C12 with 505HP... I tell you, M11/ISM, C12, DD-60's, C13 - none of those engines would ever be rejected by me!

I do like our CAPS era ISL, but do feel it is at times, working a bit harder then I'd like... And like the larger displacement Braking Horsepower of the bigger
blocks! But zero complaints on MPG...

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77,

Is your reference to an "ISL" a 8.3 Cummins? If so, what is your mpg? TY!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #21

The ISL is an 8.9. It’s a stroked 8.3.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #22

I have a 98 Country Coach magma with the 40 series engine. I have 110,000 miles and so far no problems. I pull a Hyundai Sonata and average about 9-10 mpg depending on the wind. 40 foot with one slide. I’m very happy with this 21 year old coach. Still drives like new.
yzfyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzygirl2017 View Post
The series 40 is made by Navstar for Detroit diesel. Parts are not always easy to come by. Have a friend who has one in his 1998 CC Magna, turbo needed replacing, it is made by Perkins and had to be shipped from England and was pricey. The Cummins 8.3 is a all round better choice with parts available any where.
It's actually a International engine. Never saw or heard of one with a Perkins turbo. All I have seen are Garretts. Mine is a Garrett AR 58 is fairly inexpensive and usually can be found on the shelf. Full in frame engine rebuild kits are also cheap at $1200.00 and include

In-Frame Kit:

6 x Liner Kits (Includes set of crevice seals)

6 x Pistons

6 x Piston Ring-Sets

6 x Piston Pin & Retainers

1 x Head Gasket Set

1 x Main Bearing Set (Std.)

1 x Rod Bearing Set (Std.)

1 x Thrust Washer Set

1 x Set of Injector O-Rings

1 x Rocker Cover Gasket

1 x Oil Pan Gasket
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
The ISL is an 8.9. It’s a stroked 8.3.
Always learning, Thank you!
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzygirl2017 View Post
The series 40 is made by Navstar for Detroit diesel. Parts are not always easy to come by. Have a friend who has one in his 1998 CC Magna, turbo needed replacing, it is made by Perkins and had to be shipped from England and was pricey. The Cummins 8.3 is a all round better choice with parts available any where.
Interesting, Thank you for the information.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfyoung View Post
I have a 98 Country Coach magma with the 40 series engine. I have 110,000 miles and so far no problems. I pull a Hyundai Sonata and average about 9-10 mpg depending on the wind. 40 foot with one slide. I’m very happy with this 21 year old coach. Still drives like new.
Thank you for the info. Hope to look at this coach next weekend. We have our eye on four and we will see which one pans out.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Detroit

I'm pretty sure i know which coach you are talking about. Looks nice. The series 40 is indeed an engine put in a zillion trucks so can't imagine not being able to pick up parts for it. I think any international truck repair shop would be able to help out. I made an offer on a coach with an 8.3 and am settled but when I looked up how much the towing stuff and a decent toad cost that makes the coach with that detroit in it seem like a pretty good deal. The one I'm talking about includes the toad and towbar etc.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #28

First Time Motorhome Buyers Need Some Info/Help

I also have the Detroit series 40 in my 1998 Magna. It has plenty of power. The data plate on the engine says it’s an International dt530. I don’t know why Detroit Diesel sold them.
My turbo is a Garret also, Bosch fuel injection. No problem with finding parts so far.
moss9994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome