RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #29

I've never heard of a Gillig chassis that has Velvet ride. I had a really nice Safari MH with Velvet ride, I WILL NEVER EVER OWN VELVET RIDE AGAIN... EVER. Yes I think someone else said it correctly that you are likely confusing Magna (made by Country Coach) with Magnum (the proprietary chassis made by Safari). Magna is a very high end Country Coach, and IMO Country Coach is one of the best.

As for Detroit Diesel as a company, there's pretty much a shop in ever decent size city, so I'm not scared of the DD 40 at all.

As for Gillig, they quit selling motorhome chassis in the US in 1997-98 to focus on their bus chassis. They are said to be 1,000,000 mile chassis. On my 1997 American Eagle, the Gillig chassis was a $30,000 extra over the normal Spartan chassis. You will find many Gillig chassis lovers here on irv2.

TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
I also have the Detroit series 40 in my 1998 Magna. It has plenty of power. The data plate on the engine says itís an International dt530. I donít know why Detroit Diesel sold them.
My turbo is a Garret also, Bosch fuel injection. No problem with finding parts so far.
Moss9994: Thank you! I know the DT466 we had was very dependable and highly spoken of. My husband says I got it mixed up and this is a DT503. Really appreciate your comments.

USA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZinke View Post
I've never heard of a Gillig chassis that has Velvet ride. I had a really nice Safari MH with Velvet ride, I WILL NEVER EVER OWN VELVET RIDE AGAIN... EVER. Yes I think someone else said it correctly that you are likely confusing Magna (made by Country Coach) with Magnum (the proprietary chassis made by Safari). Magna is a very high end Country Coach, and IMO Country Coach is one of the best.

As for Detroit Diesel as a company, there's pretty much a shop in ever decent size city, so I'm not scared of the DD 40 at all.

As for Gillig, they quit selling motorhome chassis in the US in 1997-98 to focus on their bus chassis. They are said to be 1,000,000 mile chassis. On my 1997 American Eagle, the Gillig chassis was a $30,000 extra over the normal Spartan chassis. You will find many Gillig chassis lovers here on irv2.
TurboZinke: I think you are right! When we owned our International with the DT466, every year we would be in Phoenix in November and the International dealer there would give us phenomenal prices on Baldwin Filters. We would stock up for the whole year. Thank you for your comments & encouragement!
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Traveler View Post
Moss9994: Thank you! I know the DT466 we had was very dependable and highly spoken of. My husband says I got it mixed up and this is a DT503. Really appreciate your comments.
I think you got it mixed up again. Lol I'm sure it's a DT530 not a 503
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I think you got it mixed up again. Lol I'm sure it's a DT530 not a 503
You are correct! Thank you for being kind!
Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #34

Number one: find a side mounted radiator Class A ... the rear radiators make doing anything yourself nearly impossible, and the mechanics will have to trapse through your RV and tear your bedroom apart to do any maintenance. Two: a raised rail chassis will allow for generous basement storage. Three: don't go under powered - 375-450HP. Cummins/Allison is a great drive train. I don't know the dates when DEF (diesel exhausst fluid) became manditory but avoid this if you can - one more system to break down, and to feed (DEF is about the same as diesel fuel). Peter
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:55 PM   #35

I too have owned a 5th wheel and somewhat experienced in camping for approximately 15 years but my wife & I retired recently and decided it was time to move up to a MH and we havenít looked back. We are new to the MH lifestyle and couldnít imagine traveling without one. As my signature shows, we have a 40í Travel Supreme which we absolutely love and itís everything we could have ever imagined owning. Itís a smooth riding MH that gets about 9-10 mpg pulling a Corolla on a tow dolly. Good luck in your decision and safe happy travels.
Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #36

Power up Cummins

I don't know if any of you have used any of the Banks systems but I had one added to a Cummins. It provide more power and torque and it allowed me to climb some hellacious mountains in Colorado. I don't know if they are still in business. Cummins did not approve but my coach ran much better.
Judge32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Detroit 40 or 60

Donít know much about the 40 series, but my father in law has a 60 series in his 40í Prevost and gets about 8 mpg no matter what heís towing. I have a Cummins ISC 350 hp in my 38í Monaco and get the same 8 mpg no matter what Iím towing
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
Number one: find a side mounted radiator Class A ... the rear radiators make doing anything yourself nearly impossible, and the mechanics will have to trapse through your RV and tear your bedroom apart to do any maintenance. Two: a raised rail chassis will allow for generous basement storage. Three: don't go under powered - 375-450HP. Cummins/Allison is a great drive train. I don't know the dates when DEF (diesel exhausst fluid) became manditory but avoid this if you can - one more system to break down, and to feed (DEF is about the same as diesel fuel). Peter
Peter, Thank you! Excellent information and advise.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean56 View Post
I too have owned a 5th wheel and somewhat experienced in camping for approximately 15 years but my wife & I retired recently and decided it was time to move up to a MH and we havenít looked back. We are new to the MH lifestyle and couldnít imagine traveling without one. As my signature shows, we have a 40í Travel Supreme which we absolutely love and itís everything we could have ever imagined owning. Itís a smooth riding MH that gets about 9-10 mpg pulling a Corolla on a tow dolly. Good luck in your decision and safe happy travels.
Jeff & Sandy, Thank you for the information. So glad you love your MH! Safe travels!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Donít know much about the 40 series, but my father in law has a 60 series in his 40í Prevost and gets about 8 mpg no matter what heís towing. I have a Cummins ISC 350 hp in my 38í Monaco and get the same 8 mpg no matter what Iím towing
Ken, Thank you for the information. Yes, the 60 Series seems to get raving reviews here as well. Safe Travels!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Mike is the owner I first though of when I read the OP's post! And hope he know the answer to this question.

Are not some of the Gillig Bus Chassis coaches with BF Goodrich's Velvet Ride? And I believe I recall reading that locating replacement components for the BF Goodrich's Velvet Ride rubber (or rubber like) components was becoming difficult(?). Not all Gillig chassis in CC's have the BF Goodrich Velvet Ride, so it would be specific Gillig chassis related, not all of them. And the Gillig chassis has a good reputation under some of the later higher end CC Concept and Magna models. (Don't recall if Intrigue had a Gillig chassis or not(?).

Me? I'd rather have a DD 60 series over a 40 series. (60 Series is one of my favorite engines.).

All that being said, if the coach you're looking at is in well cared for with good documentation - and more important, it meets your needs - DD 40 and if it has Velvet Ride, would not keep me from considering it... For sure, the CC's of that era were well designed and built!

Best of luck to you on your hunt,
Smitty
Gang, my apologies, I BLEW THIS.

I checked my records from when we were shopping, and the Concept I looked into had the Gillig chassis - but no notes on the Velvet Ride.

It was a memory crossover with a Safarri coach of the same vintage... A sadly abused/neglected coach from my notes...

Sorry if this murkied the waters...

Smitty
Old 02-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I think you are confusing the magnum chassis with the Magna coach.
Safari magnum chassis had a bunch of problems with the velvet ride and trailing arms.
As far as I know their is no Gillig chassis with the BFG velvet ride but I could be wrong.
Yep, I did!

Smitty

Tags
motorhome