Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Fresh water drain valve

Winter is just around the corner in my neck of the woods. Its already snowed South of us last week. I will again be storing my CCC in the Southern states for the winter in a few weeks. It will get below freezing before I leave. I will have to winterize the Coach for the next couple weeks.

I have a switch in the Coach that is marked " fresh water drain" I threw that switch yesterday and watched under the Coach. Water drained from it for some time. Once it stopped I threw the switch back. I did shut off the HWH and opened all the taps while draining.

Will this drain water from my lines and the fresh water holding tank ?

Will it drain the water from my two heater water tanks?

I also poured RV Anti-Freeze in all the drains so the traps would have anti freeze in them.

Is there anything else I need to do to protech the ppes in the Coach ?
Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does your coach have an Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Does your coach have an Aqua Hot or Hydro Hot?
Im not sure but will check. It has a wabasto furnace and I have heat while on the road using the engine coolant. What I do know about this Concept that it seems to have what ever was the best in 1989.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
A Webasto is a diesel burner/motor that is usually associated with a hydronic heating system like Hydro Hot. If you have that merely draining the water will not winterize the hydronic system. Even blowing it out with air may leave water in the heat exchanger coil that might freeze. If you have a Hydro Hot, they recommend pumping RV antifreeze thru the system to ensure it gets protected from freezing.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

You know, being a fan of the Concept. Let me help you avoid the aggravation of having to winterize. Leave the keys in the ignition, full tank of fuel, fuel credit card on the dash, and a bottle of scotch in the cabinet - and I'll go run that little coach of yours for you over the winter... Yep, we're a friendly group here - all pitching into help each other. (But fair warning, I like a clean exterior coach - so be sure that pup is waxed well before I pick it up for you...)

All kidding aside, you have a rather unique coach. You might want to consider signing up for Kevin Waite's yearly phone tech service. This is a classic example where you could call him with the cell phone in hand, walk around the coach and you two talk out the step by step needs for your specific rig!

Having his knowledge on the phone, comes in handy at other times too...

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
You know, being a fan of the Concept. Let me help you avoid the aggravation of having to winterize. Leave the keys in the ignition, full tank of fuel, fuel credit card on the dash, and a bottle of scotch in the cabinet - and I'll go run that little coach of yours for you over the winter... Yep, we're a friendly group here - all pitching into help each other. (But fair warning, I like a clean exterior coach - so be sure that pup is waxed well before I pick it up for you...)

All kidding aside, you have a rather unique coach. You might want to consider signing up for Kevin Waite's yearly phone tech service. This is a classic example where you could call him with the cell phone in hand, walk around the coach and you two talk out the step by step needs for your specific rig!

Having his knowledge on the phone, comes in handy at other times too...

Best to you,
Smitty
Great advise thank you
Old 09-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #7

Quote:
A Webasto is a diesel burner/motor that is usually associated with a hydronic heating system like Hydro Hot. If you have that merely draining the water will not winterize the hydronic system. Even blowing it out with air may leave water in the heat exchanger coil that might freeze. If you have a Hydro Hot, they recommend pumping RV antifreeze thru the system to ensure it gets protected from freezing.
I thought that system pumped the engine anti freeze through that system not plain water?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
I thought that system pumped the engine anti freeze through that system not plain water?
A Hydrohot provides heat to the coach by heating boiler coolant (not engine coolant) and circulating that boiler coolant thru heat exchangers placed in various locations throughout the coach. In some early models the boiler coolant is the same stuff as the engine coolant but they are separate circuits. The coolant in the boiler does not mix with the engine coolant. Now, there are three ways to heat up the boiler coolant; 1. run the Webasto burner, 2. switch on the electric heating element/s, 3. when driving the coach the engine coolant will heat up the boiler coolant (via a heat exchanger inside the Hydrohot connected to the engine cooling system).

Heating up your domestic hot water for showers, washing, etc. occurs when cold water from your fresh water plumbing flows thru another heat exchanger (a coil of tubing) dedicated to heating domestic water. That coil cannot be drained well enough to prevent freezing according to the folks that make the Hydro Hot/Aqua Hot units. You must fill that coil with RV antifreeze (the non toxic kind....pink stuff). Most folks use the 12 volt water pump to do that. Pump enough RV antifreeze thru fresh water system until it flows at all of the hot water faucets.

You can avoid winterizing the Hydro Hot if you can leave the coach connected to shore power and just leave the electric element/s on. That will keep the coolant in the boiler hot and prevent any water left in that coil from freezing. Just have to make sure there is no power interruption in very cold temps.

I know very little about the Concept except that it was very advanced and complex. Perhaps you have a separate water heater for your domestic water and your Webasto only provides heat for the coach interior. Bottom line, you need to know to make sure you winterize properly.

I agree with Smitty about using Kevin Waite's tech support. I subscribe to it (you pay an annual fee). You can call, email or text Kevin and he will walk you through just about anything you need to know to fix and maintain a Country Coach. He is also a great source for parts, especially those hard to find things.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
A Hydrohot provides heat to the coach by heating boiler coolant (not engine coolant) and circulating that boiler coolant thru heat exchangers placed in various locations throughout the coach. In some early models the boiler coolant is the same stuff as the engine coolant but they are separate circuits. The coolant in the boiler does not mix with the engine coolant. Now, there are three ways to heat up the boiler coolant; 1. run the Webasto burner, 2. switch on the electric heating element/s, 3. when driving the coach the engine coolant will heat up the boiler coolant (via a heat exchanger inside the Hydrohot connected to the engine cooling system).

Heating up your domestic hot water for showers, washing, etc. occurs when cold water from your fresh water plumbing flows thru another heat exchanger (a coil of tubing) dedicated to heating domestic water. That coil cannot be drained well enough to prevent freezing according to the folks that make the Hydro Hot/Aqua Hot units. You must fill that coil with RV antifreeze (the non toxic kind....pink stuff). Most folks use the 12 volt water pump to do that. Pump enough RV antifreeze thru fresh water system until it flows at all of the hot water faucets.

You can avoid winterizing the Hydro Hot if you can leave the coach connected to shore power and just leave the electric element/s on. That will keep the coolant in the boiler hot and prevent any water left in that coil from freezing. Just have to make sure there is no power interruption in very cold temps.

I know very little about the Concept except that it was very advanced and complex. Perhaps you have a separate water heater for your domestic water and your Webasto only provides heat for the coach interior. Bottom line, you need to know to make sure you winterize properly.

I agree with Smitty about using Kevin Waite's tech support. I subscribe to it (you pay an annual fee). You can call, email or text Kevin and he will walk you through just about anything you need to know to fix and maintain a Country Coach. He is also a great source for parts, especially those hard to find things.
You guys are great, thanks so much. How do I get the info to join up with Kevin
Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
You guys are great, thanks so much. How do I get the info to join up with Kevin
http://www.countrycoachforums.com/in...?topic=11992.0

A few years old, but still may work
ccssid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Kevin's info:

K&M Mobile RV Repair
Junction City, OR
kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #12

I talked to Kevin last night. He was very helpful. He also told me he would have been a part of the team that built my Coach. How cool is that !
Old 09-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #13

Quote:
It does, there is no plain water in your heating system unless you do not have antifreeze in your motor.

I can send you the winterizing pages of my manual if you need them or just give me a call and I a can walk you through it

FYI make sure to drain the water heater, open all the faucets, I keep them open all winter as well
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #14

looking at your avatar it seems you are pulling an old Chevy on a car hauler behind your coach. You know the Concept has almost no towing capacity (3000lbs) and is rated for a tongue weight of only 250lb right?
Has yours been beefed up somehow?
We tow ans Wrangler 4 down because it is one of the few vehicles on the road still close to 3000lbs although we are actually a touch over.

Just checking if you do not have the manuals you might not know.
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, valve, water