Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Fresh water tank won't stay full

Greetings friends. New to me 2006 42' Magna. Took my first shakedown cruise this past weekend and I have a few things on my list but all in all, great time and I just love my "Bus".
This problem was going on before I left. I would hit the tank fill button on the silverleaf and the fresh water would fill. I shut it off and it vents over the side until it hits about 35% and then stops. I haven't been able to crawl underneath yet but it seems to be a hose type flow rather than a crack in the tank. It's coming out just forward of the drive axle and is just about equal distance from each side. Does anyone know of a valve or something that might be opened without my knowledge? The dump switch works as it should and the water dumps from the lowest point on the tank. So this is something nearly halfway up the tank volume.
Thanks, Don
PS: There's a couple other issues but I want to keep hunting for a solution before I post.
Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman50th View Post
This problem was going on before I left. I would hit the tank fill button on the silverleaf and the fresh water would fill. I shut it off and it vents over the side until it hits about 35% and then stops. I haven't been able to crawl underneath yet but it seems to be a hose type flow rather than a crack in the tank.
Thanks, Don
Stratman50th
On some coaches, (mine for example), if the water tank is filled until water runs out of the overflow tube it will continue to "siphon out", (down to the 3/4 to 2/3 mark).
On my coach, and others with that problem, if the tank is not filled completely, it will not siphon.
BTW, running a few gallions out of the tank using the 12V water pump sometimes stops the siphoning.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

I have the same issue. It's a pressure issue when the air in the top of the tank forces out the water.
My solution, Once filled I insert a small rubber stopper into the overflow tube. After I've used some water, I remove the plug. Simple, problem solved.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I have the same issue. It's a pressure issue when the air in the top of the tank forces out the water.
My solution, Once filled I insert a small rubber stopper into the overflow tube. After I've used some water, I remove the plug. Simple, problem solved.
Winepress
Good solution
But always remember to remove the plug!
The tube we are calling the "overflow tube" is there to allow air to escape as the tank fills ...AND to allow makeup air into the tank as the pump draws water out.
Mel
Old 05-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
I used to do that, until the following...

I had installed the small plug..then promptly forgot. Later that day or the next, I filled up the water tank on my old monaco.

After a bit, I noticed water runing out the bottom of the coach. Light went on and I ran to shut the water off and pull the plug out...water still coming out the bottom. Hmmm...
Finally pulled the side panel off and holy smut..that tank had ballooned big enough so that it broke the shelf above it and pushed the black water tank up high enough so that it broke the vent line.
By the end of the day, the tank had leaked dry.
I ended up pulling the fresh water tank and found that it had split in a couple places on the bottom of the tank. I plastic welded it back togehter, fixed the shelf above it, repaired the vent to the waste tank and put everything back together.

Lets just say i'm not a big believer in using a plug for the fresh water tank vent any more.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM   #6

If you can get to the high point of the overflow tube you could put a tee in the line and put a short hose running vertically upward to break the siphon. I've heard of this happening on several different brands of motor homes and cannot believe the manufacturers didn't think about this problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
If you can get to the high point of the overflow tube you could put a tee in the line and put a short hose running vertically upward to break the siphon. I've heard of this happening on several different brands of motor homes and cannot believe the manufacturers didn't think about this problem.
phays
IMO, the problem is not as much with the manufacturer as much as it is with the owner/operator.
Since I quit over filling the water tank, water never "siphons out".

(BTW, I'm not defending the manufacturers, they do a lot of things wrong, but I also know that many owners don't have a clue about how a lot of things work and/or how things should be done).
Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Winepress
Good solution
But always remember to remove the plug!
The tube we are calling the "overflow tube" is there to allow air to escape as the tank fills ...AND to allow makeup air into the tank as the pump draws water out.
Mel
The key word is "remember". You need to have a system where you don't depend on "remember". It's best to have a checklist for these kind of things. I use my phone timer when filling just to remind me. My M/H checklist is pretty extensive.

Checklists prevent those "Oops, what was that?" For example, when landing a plane with retractable gear, it's best to land with the gear down
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

If it keeps siphoning you may have a bad check valve in the fresh water pump. Search around on this site to find more on that issue.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #10

Thank you all for your replies! Mel s, I think at this point you win the prize. so I've asked this same question in several places and I frequently get the "overflow-siphon" answer. Why would that be if I'm not topping the tank off? On this forum I find some awesome names... Kevin Waite, and Butch Williams, formerly of Country Coach. For a small yearly fee They provide unlimited tech and parts support for Country Coaches, and I will tell you it's worth every penny to me.
So the answer to this question was in fact the overfill tube. But it didn't explain "TO me" why it did it when the tank wasn't full. Answer: It was full. The tank sensors need to be re-calibrated. All of them. Mystery solved! I was advised to wait until my next trip. Start with all tanks empty and calibrate at that time.
Again, I do appreciate the assistance from everyone!
Don
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #11

It's been almost 4 months since I posted this question. Had a lot of responses so I thought that I would update this for anyone who may be interested.
I just got the problem straightened out about a month ago. The tank is 104 gal. First clue, only took less than 10 minutes to go from 35% to 100%? Little quick. Then even less time to empty again. Second clue. The hose was not high pressure so something was up. <= (Meaning it was filling way too quick).
Ok, turns out the calibration was off on the tanks. The entire time I have been running around with a full fresh water tank. The water coming out was the overflow. And indeed, some did siphon out when it overflowed, but not 70% worth. Problem was as simple as tank calibration. Waited till I was at a campground and completely purged all tanks as best I could. Then with all empty, I recalibrated the sensors. Now everything works as it should. The readings are what is to be expected. Oh, the bus handles much different without that extra 1,000lb 0f water in there!
Thanks again everyone who responded!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If is a siphon that is causing the water loss, an easy fix is to drill a small hole in the top of the overflow line, this will keep a siphon from starting.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If is a siphon that is causing the water loss, an easy fix is to drill a small hole in the top of the overflow line, this will keep a siphon from starting.
Stratman50th
My overflow line had a 1/8" hole drilled in it.
It is surprising how much water ran out of that small hole, and into my carpeted "basement", every time I filled the tank to capacity.
Be aware of that possibility before you drill one.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #14

OP - Thanks for coming back and closing the loop on what you found out. This helps others when the do searches for similar problems.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water