Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Front Door - Seal & Weatherstripping - Air Noise

The seals on my 97 Allure doors appear to have been replaced at some point. Makes anything over 50 mph, pretty darn annoying with massive air noises. I haven't noticed any water related leaking during rain.

I've tried weathering stripping from Home Depot (1/4 - 1/2 height). But these were too easily compressed and over a short period of time did NOT uncompress when the door was opened. Regardless, they didn't improve anything.

I then tried a more expensive automotive door seal. Improved things but didn't eliminate the air ingress entirely. I was forced to remove as people were having trouble closing the door without a lot of force. And my wife, could not get the deadbolt to close without my help. So this particular seal with too thick.

One other thing I've noticed. The long edge of the door from top to bottom, isn't straight. The door is slightly cupped and bows outward. So the door seats fairly well at the upper and lower corners but at the middle (deadbolt & lower handle area). Without any stripping, I can actually see 1/8" of an opening near where the deadbolt locks. The corners are flush against the outer door frame.

Any recommendations on replacing the seals or dealing with a "bowed" door?
customfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by customfab View Post
The seals on my 97 Allure doors appear to have been replaced at some point. Makes anything over 50 mph, pretty darn annoying with massive air noises. I haven't noticed any water related leaking during rain.

I've tried weathering stripping from Home Depot (1/4 - 1/2 height). But these were too easily compressed and over a short period of time did NOT uncompress when the door was opened. Regardless, they didn't improve anything.

I then tried a more expensive automotive door seal. Improved things but didn't eliminate the air ingress entirely. I was forced to remove as people were having trouble closing the door without a lot of force. And my wife, could not get the deadbolt to close without my help. So this particular seal with too thick.

One other thing I've noticed. The long edge of the door from top to bottom, isn't straight. The door is slightly cupped and bows outward. So the door seats fairly well at the upper and lower corners but at the middle (deadbolt & lower handle area). Without any stripping, I can actually see 1/8" of an opening near where the deadbolt locks. The corners are flush against the outer door frame.

Any recommendations on replacing the seals or dealing with a "bowed" door?
OK...I'm thinking that your door is likely an aluminum frame. They don't lend themselves to straightening very easily. 1/8 of an inch is a pretty big gap. I think I would consider getting a new door or replacing the long rail that is bent. If you really want to fool with it, you could remove the door and lay it down on a flat surface. Then you could try to re-flatten it using weights. You might have to bend it a little past flat to make it flat when the weights are removed.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, I have adjusted my door hinge using a 2x4 on the door edge and a small sledge hammer.

That might work on your problem, but could be hazardous to your paint job.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Well, I have adjusted my door hinge using a 2x4 on the door edge and a small sledge hammer.

That might work on your problem, but could be hazardous to your paint job.

LOL!! We had Oregon Motor Coach take a turn at adjusting ours, it's had air noise at certain angles ever since we bought it. Two shops, and even I, have taken shots at removing/adding different weatherstripping. Some improvement, but never completely gone.

OMC tech took two shots at it. First thing they did is remove all of the 'add on' strips, getting back to the stock weatherstripping. They adjusted the door latch some too. These two helped, but still the whistling noise at certain angles. Second shot was one where the tech said 'You do not want to see how we tweak/adjust the full door! They wood blocks, good old fashion muscles, and an occasional hard tap or two at strategic places. This really helped a lot, not completely gone, but our road testing did not determine that we still had a some wind sounds at some angles. It was the day we left, about 5 hours into the trip South on 101, that the right combo of wind and angle produced the sound.

We've come to the conclusion that we may be best off leaving it 'as is'... We have one more trip to OMC planned - we'll see if they want to give it another shot!

Good luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Our '02 Intrigue has the same wind noise. To troubleshoot the problem I have had the wife tape the entire door frame with me in the coach and then I go drive. Same wind noise. I have used masking tape to completely surround the windshield, same noise. I have mask taped the ICC lights, same noise. I have put tape on the horns and still get the same noise. The original awning was a Zip Dee so I masked the legs, same noise. Put on a Girrard and still have the wind noise. I have taped around the mirrors and yep, same noise.

I figure the best way to get rid of the wind noise is to get a different coach which I'm not going to do. Next best thing is to turn the music up.

On edit, I just might try taping up the steps!
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Our '02 Intrigue has the same wind noise. To troubleshoot the problem I have had the wife tape the entire door frame with me in the coach and then I go drive. Same wind noise. I have used masking tape to completely surround the windshield, same noise. I have mask taped the ICC lights, same noise. I have put tape on the horns and still get the same noise. The original awning was a Zip Dee so I masked the legs, same noise. Put on a Girrard and still have the wind noise. I have taped around the mirrors and yep, same noise.

I figure the best way to get rid of the wind noise is to get a different coach which I'm not going to do. Next best thing is to turn the music up.

On edit, I just might try taping up the steps!
Couple of pieces over the ears would be easier. Lol
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, seal