Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #1

Front end alignment and shocks

I need some guidance here. Last October we purchased a 37 ft 2007 Allure 470. The coach has only 16,000 miles on it. While up in Junction City, we had new Toyo’s put on the front. On our trip home and also on our maiden trip in December I noticed that when the coach gets above 55 mph on the interstate it wanders. I am trying to think of what could be done to minimize or eliminate this. I was thinking of changing the shocks to Koni SP3’s and having a front end alignment done. My underlying questions are:
1. Can I change the shocks without taking the wheels off or should I have a shop do this?
2. In Northern Calif., who am I looking for to do a front end alignment?
This is our first motorhome and I am not sure how to proceed.
I thank you for guidance and opinions.

Scott
Livermore, CA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

I don't know about a class A, but on a class C, riding with the wrong tire pressure (way too high) for the weight being carried, can give that wandering feeling.

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
You should have the coach weighed and set your tire pressure accordingly. Most likely you now have 120psi in the front tires which is to much.

Don't know the route you took home from JC but there are areas of 5 and also 99 that are really grooved from truck traffic.

Also, some new tires will exhibit a small amount of wondering until they get some miles on them.

Seeing as how the coach is new to you, I would put some more miles on it before I started throwing money away to fix a problem you most don't likely have. You probably have a tendency to over steer.

To answer your questions, yes you can change the front shocks without removing the wheels. As far as an alignment shop, I have experience with Henderson's in Grants Pass Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc. and Kaiser in Eugene Kaiser Brake and Alignment, Inc.

Both are excellent shops
Old 01-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with Don. I had new tires installed on my previous DP (36') and the thing wandered all over the road. It had not done that before the new tires were installed. The shop had inflated them to max (120psi) and, based on my actual weights, I could safely run them at 105. It handled fine after the pressure adjustment.

Adjust pressure based on your real front axle weight after consulting with the load/inflation table for your tires. My bet is that will cure the problem.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Mich F, Dons2346, and Smlranger thanks for the replies. I have the air pressure for the front tires at 108 lbs and 111 lbs. The placard next to the drivers seat calls out for 110 lbs. I know that we had just the basic needs in the coach, about 600-800 lbs total. Most of it in the back. The mechanic I use gave me a name for Hewlett Alignment out of Stockton, Ca. But, I first need to fine a cat scale to get my front and rear axle weights. Then will reduce the air pressure accordingly and see what that does. We have put on 2500 miles on the tires so far. I will let you know if this helps.

Scott
Livermore, CA
Old 01-15-2015, 02:08 AM   #6

The best way to get a true reading on coach weights is to have a 4 corner weigh. This is where they place your coach on 4 scales at one time to get a true reading, cost $60.00 Mine was done by (Weigh to Go) at an FMCA Rally.
My tires are 295/80R22.5 and comes in at 94%(under)730lbs in the front and 106%(over)1150lbs rear.
Total wt Front 12470lbs --Rear 21150lbs and was told to run 105PSI Front and 100PSI Rear, ride great.
RF-6405lbs= LF-6065lbs RR-10195lbs= LR-10955lbs
The only thing I came up with is the LR has the radiator
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

I agree with you on the 4 corner weigh and will have that done at the Escapees "Escapade" rally in March (in Tucson, AZ). The best I can do until then is to find a CAT scale and weigh the front end. Thank You for the suggestion.

Scott
Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #8

" I have the air pressure for the front tires at 108 lbs and 111 lbs"

What? Are you saying that you have 108 in one front tire and 111 in the other? If so that can contribute to wandering

Air pressure should be the same for all tires on an axle, be it front or rear
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #9

Yes, I have 108 lbs in Driver side tire and 111 lbs in passenger side tire. I will make them both the same air pressure. See if that helps then go and get the front end weighed and go from there. I see that there is a CAT scale in Stockton, about 45 minutes away from me. Thank you for your suggestion.

Scott
Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I second "Henderson's Line Up" in Grants Pass. They do a drive assessment with you and weigh it along with alignment. I was just there, got front tires, shocks and alignment along with "Motion Control Units".
They make you reasonably comfortable with power and water if you need to stay. i was there a week.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
I second "Henderson's Line Up" in Grants Pass. They do a drive assessment with you and weigh it along with alignment. I was just there, got front tires, shocks and alignment along with "Motion Control Units".
They make you reasonably comfortable with power and water if you need to stay. i was there a week.
I know they have a stellar reputation and I have used their MCU's on both of my DP's. However, curious why it took a week to get two tires, alignment, shocks and MCU's. Were they waiting on parts or did you not have an appointment?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Yes, waiting for tires and when we got them they were the wrong model/tire tread so waited through the weekend and a Tuesday delivery.
Plus I banged my head on the slideout and had to go to the emergency room. :(
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #13

Henderson's will be at the Escapees rally in Tuscon (in March) and I plan on talking to them at that time.

Scott
Old 01-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #14

Your are not alone when it comes to going to the emergency because of a bay door! So for me, I open a door and close it as soon as I back away even if I know that I will be returning to the same door. :-(

gilbour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks