Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
gas spring struts

I am trying to replace the gas struts on our 05 County Coach Allure bay door. The strut is a Stabilus Interlock 4438 TW 0375N 236/04 A2, the extended length is 27". I contacted Country Coach in OR and they said that one has been discontinued. I wondered if anyone else has had to replace this and what did you replace it with and where did you find it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

I have and 2002 and I just went into a camping world and looked at their gas shocks. Bring along your number and look at their chart. Also it helps to bring along the the old shock to get anyother information off of it. The crew there didn't have a clue but I was able to figure it out from the cart they had at with the shocks.
Good Luck

Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

I have had good results and prices from SPD Hardware. Need to buy several lifts to
minimize the shipping cost impact.

http://http://www.spdhardware.com/
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I have had good results and prices from SPD Hardware. Need to buy several lifts to
minimize the shipping cost impact.

http://http://www.spdhardware.com/
Second SPD. They have everything you need plus some more good stuff.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

This is a business in So Cal called "Walts RV Surplus". They have these struts by the hundreds if not the 1000's...you can call them and find out if they have what you are looking for. I believe they will ship them if you are not close to them.

Home Page
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

gas strut

I have been told that the strut for our bay door has been discontinued but I found jwf Technologies that has the same part #but is considerably higher than some of the other sites. Is there a big diffrence in struts? I want to make sure I get the same as the strut on the other side. There are so many and I can't seem to find the exact extended length. Has any other Country Coach owner had this problem?
Part Number Quantity Price Availability
4438TW 1 piece $153.40/each 4-5 weeks
4438TW 2-9 pieces $115.05/each 4-5 weeks
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatty View Post
I have been told that the strut for our bay door has been discontinued but I found jwf Technologies that has the same part #but is considerably higher than some of the other sites. Is there a big diffrence in struts? I want to make sure I get the same as the strut on the other side. There are so many and I can't seem to find the exact extended length. Has any other Country Coach owner had this problem?
Part Number Quantity Price Availability
4438TW 1 piece $153.40/each 4-5 weeks
4438TW 2-9 pieces $115.05/each 4-5 weeks
Wow, those prices are thru the roof. I need to take a look at our new-to-us Allure to see if the struts look vastly different from what I have had on other coaches.

If you look at the link below, they have a table that shows the various extended lengths and weight-bearing specs on their gas struts. None are near the price you are talking about. Other than length, does the gas strut you are replacing indicate how much weight in pounds it is designed to support?

Gas Props & Struts
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update; I did look at the struts on my bay doors and most of them are SPD's with either a 40 or 60 lb rating, depending on the size of the door.

However, on the largest doors under the two forward slides, they are the Stabilus units. I suspect they may be different in that they do not let those doors fully extend upward and strike the extended slide. Also, if the slides are retracted, I can push on those doors a bit and they will raise more.

Perhaps a call to SPD might be in order to see if they make something that will replace the Stabilus strut.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When choosing struts, if you want to use the same mounting location, they must be of the same "extended" and "compressed" length. Then of course you want the same pound rating.

I have replaced many of these and some were of different lengths. This is not a problem if you want or can mount them in a different location. If they are shorter, they would have to be mounted nearer the hinge so they can still close and open to the degree of the originals. Depending how much shorter, this reduces leverage, therefore a higher pound strut is needed to hold the door up. With vertical hinges, this is much less important.

As an example, I built a queen bed frame which was hinged at the head of the bed, so the underneath could be used as storage. I installed 2 about 3' long struts on either side of the bed rated at 110 lbs. As it turned out it was difficult for DW to lift and will all the wieght of the blankets and such, didn't stay up well.

I bought a 2' strut at a local store rated at 50lbs and installed that in the middle of the bed. All 3 fully close and fully open at the same time, it's just the middle is positioned differently.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Tatty,
My Inspire is similar to SMLRANGER'S Allure in that the bay doors under the slides Stop before hitting the slide out but then if you lift on them (only when the slide is in) they will open higher to give more access. That could explain the increased cost.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

Bill

Try TRAILER PARTS SUPERSTORE AT www.easternmarine.com $10.00 each. Just got 10 of them.

Tags
gas