RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Generator Slide

On my 2001 Country Coach Affinity, I've had the generator out at least 12 times, now it won't come out....is there a lock on it that I don't know about? It's always come out before and now it won't. Thanks

Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #2

You need to get someone to extend the generator slide while you jiggle the slide. Probably something obstructing the path of the track.

Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's a thread from CoCoDave that might add insight....

Generator Slide Will Not Extend

My early 2000 Affinity does not have a lock on it.

If you describe more about what it does or doesn't do someone might have other ideas to suggest.
2000 Country Coach Affinity #5695, 42' double slide Bed & Breakfast
All-electric, 455HP Cat C-12, tag axle
Tucson Arizona
gruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #4

Slide on generator

Thanks I checked that other post and mine is doing the same thing. Makes the same noise trying to go out as it does going in and stops,clicking.must be jammed.thank you
Old 11-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

The few times mine just clicked and didn't come out was a low battery. I start the diesel engine and it opens right up. The step will do the same thing if low voltage.
Jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 PM   #6

My motor/screw drive failed. To gain access I detached the entire power drive unit. From there I could just pull the slide latch downward and then manually pull/push the generator slide to wherever I wanted it. Eventually, I found a replacement power unit for around $500 and replaced the failed unit. All-in-all, I think I'd rather have the $500 back and just leave it as a manual slide.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kevin Waite in Junction City has new ones that might be what you need.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #8

Must be some bad ju ju on the loose around these generator slide actuators. Mine had no problems since it was repaired 10 months ago until Bobhoy posted his problem and then mine stopped working again.

While the symptoms are the same as last time, the actual problem is different. Last time the tray was stuck in the retracted (fortunately) position. This time I unhooked the actuator from the tray and it slid out and in with hand pressure. Even when detached from the tray the actuator would clatter but not move the ram. So I took the whole thing out to see if anything could be done to make it work again and it was good that I did.

The motor part had a label on it. Though the printing was very faint, it was possible to read enough of it to determine that it was made by Knudtson Mfg. in Junction City. Looked up the number, called, and the phone was answered by the owner, Mr. Byron Knudtson, himself. He very kindly gave me some simple troubleshooting steps which turned out to identify the motor/gearbox assembly as the problem. Not only that, but he could still get one for us at $232.00 plus shipping. Needless to say, I ordered one.

On our coach the actuator is held in place by a 1/2" bolt at either end. Remove those and clip the two power wires and it will come out. The generator on its tray will need to be pushed out some by hand to get clearance but that's easy.

Once out the motor/gearbox assembly and the tube need to be separated. Three 3/8" hex head bolts hold them together and the two pieces come apart with very little force required. Stick bar of some kind in the tube's coupling slot (I used a piece of 3/16"X 1.5"X 8" bar stock) and rotate it clockwise. It may take a little force to start but once it turns it should rotate freely with only finger strength torque needed. If it's hard to turn then the tube or the long screw inside is bent and you'll need a new one of those. Mr. Knutdson can get those too.

Knudtson has been in the linear motion business for over 50 years and has worked with Country Coach from its begining and supplied parts to other motor home manufactures as well. They make the step cover actuator, air bag valve assemblies, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff for our coach.

Dealing with him was like stepping back into an era when we (the USA) made stuff and supported the customers who bought it, used it, and repaired it. This is not over but I'll follow up when the motor/gearbox is installed and working. I've a good idea that it will work fine.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #9

Generator slide

Let us know what it was. What makes the clicking noise. Did it work one day and then the next time stop working.from the pics I don't see what could be clicking. I haven't tore in to mine yet. Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Google 12v linear actuator. Lots of choices without "RV" attached to the price.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhoy View Post
Let us know what it was. What makes the clicking noise. Did it work one day and then the next time stop working.from the pics I don't see what could be clicking. I haven't tore in to mine yet. Thanks
The clicking noise comes from the clutch inside the gearbox. The clutch starts slipping (clicking / clattering) when the ram hits either end of its travel. The clutch is inside the gearbox and not visible.

Yes, it worked one day and not the next. When you rotate the coupling inside the tube you can feel the resistance as it hits the end of travel. It's like when tightening a nut on a bolt. Once tightened, it takes a similar, though slightly less, amount of torque to reverse the direction of rotation. At some point the motor/clutch in our actuator cannot deliver enough torque to reverse the tightened "nut" and it just clicks/clatters. Once that happens it's unlikely that it will ever reverse direction without some kind of external assistance.

As for finding aftermarket or generic linear actuators - I looked at a number of suppliers. Kevin Waite has one but it is not a direct replacement and it's $350. Yes, Kevin is RV focused but I looked at industrial sources too. RV pricing or not they are expensive. Knudtson says his is rated to move 500 lbs. So find one in the same configuration (motor and ram parallel), 36" stroke, 17:1 gear ratio, 48" hole to hole mounting w/ball joint on motor end, 12 VDC, and 500 lb capacity. Given those requirements I'm delighted to pay Knudtson $232 to get a new motor/gearbox for my actuator.

HTH

On edit: If you want to avoid the cost of replacement/repair, replace the forward bolt with a pin like the one (1/2") used on a Blue Ox tow bar connection. Then when access to the generator is required, you can crawl under the front end of the coach, pull out the pin, then pull out the generator by hand. Hinky but inexpensive.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia, Linux Mint
Old 12-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #12

Generator slide

I finally tore in to mine and it was not the motor or clutch but all the bearings were shot.now the steps stop going in all the way because the slides are worn out. Any one know we’re they can be had thanks.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

Gen slide

Found the bearings at bearings direct in cal.8 - small ones hbc-1614 RS. 14 bigger ones IXO- CRY20VUU. Thanks everyone
Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
Must be some bad ju ju on the loose around these generator slide actuators. Mine had no problems since it was repaired 10 months ago until Bobhoy posted his problem and then mine stopped working again.

While the symptoms are the same as last time, the actual problem is different. Last time the tray was stuck in the retracted (fortunately) position. This time I unhooked the actuator from the tray and it slid out and in with hand pressure. Even when detached from the tray the actuator would clatter but not move the ram. So I took the whole thing out to see if anything could be done to make it work again and it was good that I did.

The motor part had a label on it. Though the printing was very faint, it was possible to read enough of it to determine that it was made by Knudtson Mfg. in Junction City. Looked up the number, called, and the phone was answered by the owner, Mr. Byron Knudtson, himself. He very kindly gave me some simple troubleshooting steps which turned out to identify the motor/gearbox assembly as the problem. Not only that, but he could still get one for us at $232.00 plus shipping. Needless to say, I ordered one.

On our coach the actuator is held in place by a 1/2" bolt at either end. Remove those and clip the two power wires and it will come out. The generator on its tray will need to be pushed out some by hand to get clearance but that's easy.

Once out the motor/gearbox assembly and the tube need to be separated. Three 3/8" hex head bolts hold them together and the two pieces come apart with very little force required. Stick bar of some kind in the tube's coupling slot (I used a piece of 3/16"X 1.5"X 8" bar stock) and rotate it clockwise. It may take a little force to start but once it turns it should rotate freely with only finger strength torque needed. If it's hard to turn then the tube or the long screw inside is bent and you'll need a new one of those. Mr. Knutdson can get those too.

Knudtson has been in the linear motion business for over 50 years and has worked with Country Coach from its begining and supplied parts to other motor home manufactures as well. They make the step cover actuator, air bag valve assemblies, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff for our coach.

Dealing with him was like stepping back into an era when we (the USA) made stuff and supported the customers who bought it, used it, and repaired it. This is not over but I'll follow up when the motor/gearbox is installed and working. I've a good idea that it will work fine.

FWIW
While it took a bit longer than planned, the gear-motor found us here in Anthem/Phoenix, AZ. As it turned out, I'm happy to have been able to replace it here in the desert rather than at home. It's raining and windy there while the weather here is glorious.

The gear-motor fit perfectly. At $232 it was a bargain compared to other solutions and it keeps everything as original.

The conventional wisdom is that parts are no longer available the original supplier is still a going concern and can furnish needed repair parts. At least for this vintage coach.

FWIW

Tags
generator, slide