Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Generator Slide Will Not Extend

Posted this on Yahoo Country Coach too.

Did a search on Yahoo Country Coach and found that Mark with a 2007 Inspire had a problem with his generator slide that was solved by replacing a load-carrying bearing. I don't think that's my problem though.

My slide does not budge. Flipping the switch to "Out" energizes the motor which apparently rotates, given the clatter of the clutch that drives the worm screw/gear. It's as though you flipped the switch to "In" when the slide is already "In". The noise is exactly the same that occurs when the slide reaches its limit, either extended or retracted.

Talked to Butch Williams and he suggested applying outward tension to the slide while flipping the switch. I did that but the result was the same. If that does not work then it's possible that the gears in the screw drive are bad. They are no longer made but Butch said that Kevin may have a replacement that could be retrofitted with some modification. Sounds expensive.

What gives me hope that the gears are OK is that the clutch is clattering which implies that the gears are transmitting sufficient force to rotate the screw but that the slide/screw assembly is jammed/wedged in place and prevented from moving out.

Thoughts?

TIA
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #2

No solution yet but I did get a call back from Winnebago/Country Coach in Junction City in response to a message I'd left requesting information about the generator slide. Spoke with a very knowledgeable and helpful fellow named Art.

The slide actuating mechanism, a geared worm drive, can be obtained. So if the existing one cannot be repaired, Country Coach can get us a new one for $426.00. Given the complexity of the beast, that did not sound too bad.

He confirmed that some coaches had a latch and some did not which explains why I could not find one on mine. I put a car jack under the generator slide and lifted much of the weight off the rollers and pulled out on the generator while actuating the switch. No movement.

Have an appointment with Premier RV in Junction City tomorrow afternoon.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Good luck! I've been pleased with the service I've received from Premier RV.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

Premier is great, love their service, BUT, how about Eric's RV in Sequim?
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Premier RV Junction City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Premier is great, love their service, BUT, how about Eric's RV in Sequim?
We like Premier RV. That Harrisburg-Junction City-Coburg-Eugene corridor has it all when it comes to motor homes. We bought our Affinity through Premier and they've done virtually all of the house related work on it since. Peterson CAT has serviced the engine.

We pass through the area at least four times per year. It's less trouble to swing off the freeway and into Premier than it is to haul the coach out of the storage barn just to take it four miles to Eric's. We did the same thing with our Monacos, taking them to the Monaco service center in Coburg or Elite Repair in Harrisburg.

FWIW
Old 01-06-2017, 05:56 AM   #6

Generator Slide Repaired

The guys at Premier in Junction City, got it repaired. They disconnected and removed the screw-drive actuator and bench-tested it. It worked fine.

Even with the actuator out the slide would not move until they used pry bars to leverage the slide out. It was very difficult to move, even with two guys bearing down on it. Eventually it moved about an inch and then popped free. At that point it traveled out and in freely using only hand pressure. Near as can be figured, there must have been a pebble or other foreign object lodged between the frame and the sliding tray.

They cleaned and lubed the rollers, installed the actuator, and tested. All good and all for two hours labor which amounted to $220. Worth every penny to me. We also got two nights free "camping" inside the shop. That was worth a lot right there since the outdoor temps were in the teens at night.

In about 4 hours we'll head south over the Siskiyou's and hope to thread the weather needle.

FWIW
Old 01-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Glad you guys are on your way, and very happy to see that Premier found and repaired the problem for a reasonable price. We don't hear positive comments about too many RV services places!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Great news! And YES, Oregon is downright cold right now!
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, slide