Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Genset not shutting off at 1/4 fuel tank ?

My 2008 Intrigue generator does not shut off when my fuel is below 1/4 of a tank. I am wondering if this a tank sensor or maybe a fuel gauge issue. Any help or thoughts about this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have noticed that on many of the diesel units that the generators will pick up fuel below 1/4 fuel level of the tank. I guess it it due to the amount of fuel still available. Have you tried running it until it does run out and see what level you are at? If not you will want to be close to a source for fuel and even have some on hand, just in case. I think that you will find that the pick up point is more like 1/8 fuel level.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On many rigs it's not a sensor, it's not a gauge (though your issue could be) it's a 2nd fuel outlet pick up tube in the tank

One (the main engine outlet) is just off the bottom of the tank, the other outlet pick up tube is about 1/4 tank level, this feeds the generator

now: KEY WORD: ABOUT. Might be 1/8 or 3/8 tank, usually somewhere between those.

As for sensor/gauge: Fuel gauges are the least accurate guage made in most cases. it's possible that the generator runs out of fuel at 1/4 thank but the gauge says: Something else entirely
Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I watched them make the fuel tanks and Elkhart, IN. The Gen-Set supply tube is in the top center of the tank. It goes down from the top and stops 1/4 of that dimension from the top. This leaves no way for a leak or anything to supply fuel after the level goes below this point. Due to this design it may produce fuel starvation to the Gen-Set while driving with more than 1/4 tank if you have uneven roads. I have a Monaco DP. Also on my indicating system, both the fuel level (Gage) and Low Fuel warning come from the same source. The Gage sends the signal to the light. There is NO separate warning!

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #5

What I think is going on is that my fuel gauge is showing about 1/8 of a tank or so and at that low it becomes really to read. My tank holds 135 gallons and the Generator should shut of at about 20 gallons which is about that 1/8 of the tank and it has yet to shut off on its own. I think the gauge is probably not that accurate anyway. I am going to do a test and let it run down to almost empty and hope the generator shuts off, if it does the problem will explain it self. I will keep you informed.
Thanks for help.

Ben kitay

2008 Intrigue # 12247
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I do not have a CC I have a Monaco, but I think this will apply. The tank capacity advertised is for the total fuel capacity, it is the capacity of the tank by measuring the size of the container. This would mean that the number of gallons calculated to be in the tank at 1/8 reading could be off. Also the location of the sending unit could present additional problems, especially if you are parked (No Averaging).

That aside, you should be able to insure that the GenSet will run out of fuel by simply parking, or tilting the coach, wile in a low fuel state. This would help insure that you can make it to the next fuel stop without running the vehicle dry.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote