Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #1

GFI won't reset and A/C fan problems

Hello Al
I'm having a problem with my GFI that will not reset, so the ice maker and TV will not work or any of the out lets in the coach. Also I'm having the same problem as Nebraska Bob with his 96 Affinity that my roof air's, zone 1 and 2 won't work, but zone 3 works. I turned on the fans to cool the coach down in my indoor storage but only zone 3 would come on. The other zones, 1 and 2, wouldn't come on. I'm plugged into a 20 amp outlet, but I tried running just zone 1 by itself and zone 2 by itself and still they wouldn't come on.
Would like to hear some input to Nebraska Bob's and my problem if anyone has had a similar problem or knows how to fix our dilemma.
Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Affinity CC
Huntington Beach, Ca.
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First- replace the gfci- you can get it from any good hdwe store, lowe's, etc. Make sure to read the instruction sheet in the box...on some, the load/line positions of the wires is reversed. After that, see what does/doesn't work.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Check for breakers in the basement just after the inverter

One is for the GFI circuit and one for the Microwave on my rig.

Their being tripped caused a similar problem for me.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

If you find it is the Circuit Breaker, monitor it closely. As they too can go bad from age too. (Not as common as a GFI, but enough to make sure you don't have a weak one.) With power off, and battery disconnected. Also look to make sure all of your wires are tight, and grounds too.

Please come back and update us with what you find...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

You can not reset a GFCI unless it has power comming to it.

You need to look at the breakers supplying it, as some have mentioned.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can not reset a GFCI unless it has power comming to it.

You need to look at the breakers supplying it, as some have mentioned.
A simple test of the wires feeding the gfci will tell you if the gfci is defective. As stated, it will not reset if there is no power going to it. If there is power, its probably the gfci. If no power to it, start looking upstream to where the power comes from.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

I doubt you will get power to the A/C's if only plugged into a 20 amp outlet. Look at your schematics and see what is powered at that 115v / 20 amp source. You may have to be plugged into a full 50 amp 4 wire connection to get the # 1 & 2 A/c's to come alive.....Or crank up the genset and see if that cures the problem.

As others have said the GFI will not reset if it does not have power.

Good luck and keep us posted. Electrical issues always make us scratch our heads...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

My electrical mystery

Hello All

My 1997 Country Coach Affinity was having problems with my zone 1 & 2 roof air fans not coming on, but zone 3 roof air fan would work. Also, I had a GFI that would not reset. I looked all over the basement electrical bay and found no problems with the inverter, breakers or fuses. I was scratching my head to find the problem. I thought maybe the electrical bay was to warm due to our hot weather and turned on the fans in the electrical bay area. I was also only plugged into an outlet with 20 amps. I came back the next day with a new GFI receptacle to replace my original GFI. I first tried again to reset my original GFI and it worked. I then went on to try my zone 1 and 2 roof air fans and they also worked fine. Could this be due to being plugged into a 20 amp outlet and maybe at the same time I was trying to run my zone 1 and 2 roof airs my inverter was trying to charge the domestic batteries off the same 20 amp outlet, causing the roof airs not to engage? What do you all think happened?

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 Country Coach Affinity
Huntington Beach, Ca.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #9

My electrical mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
I doubt you will get power to the A/C's if only plugged into a 20 amp outlet. Look at your schematics and see what is powered at that 115v / 20 amp source. You may have to be plugged into a full 50 amp 4 wire connection to get the # 1 & 2 A/c's to come alive.....Or crank up the genset and see if that cures the problem.

As others have said the GFI will not reset if it does not have power.

Good luck and keep us posted. Electrical issues always make us scratch our heads...
Think you for your input, but everything started to work fine the next day with no problems. I have no idea what the problem was that the fans or the GFI wouldn't work that day.

Tim and Linda Neal
Huntington Beach, Ca.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

My Electricsl Mystery

[QUOTE=timneal49;3795287]Hello All

My 1997 Country Coach Affinity was having problems with my zone 1 & 2 roof air fans not coming on, but zone 3 roof air fan would work. Also, I had a GFI that would not reset. I looked all over the basement electrical bay and found no problems with the inverter, breakers or fuses. I was scratching my head to find the problem. I thought maybe the electrical bay was to warm due to our hot weather and turned on the fans in the electrical bay area. I was also only plugged into an outlet with 20 amps. I came back the next day with a new GFI receptacle to replace my original GFI. I first tried again to reset my original GFI and it worked. I then went on to try my zone 1 and 2 roof air fans and they also worked fine. Could this be due to being plugged into a 20 amp outlet and maybe at the same time I was trying to run my zone 1 and 2 roof airs my inverter was trying to charge the domestic batteries off the same 20 amp outlet, causing the roof airs not to engage? What do you all think happened?

Tim and Linda Neal
Huntington Beach, Ca. Have a GREAT day you all!
Old 09-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

[QUOTE=timneal49;3795306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
Hello All

Tim and Linda Neal
Huntington Beach, Ca. Have a GREAT day you all!
I hate it when that happens... Electrical issues do not fix themselves. It is usually something that obviously we are not aware of. With these complicated coaches and all of the different voltages, 115v a/c, 12 v d/c and different sources, shore power, gen set, engine and inverter it can get complicated.

On my coach when plugged into shore @ 20 amp I can run the roof air but not for long as it will trip the breaker. I'm guessing something to do with the Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger could be the root cause. If you have those schematics, get them out and trace out that circuit. It should lead you to culprit...

Good luck...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
20A will not support two roof AC units normally. Sometimes will not support one.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #13

My electrical Mystery

Hello Dean

I have the 1997 Country Coach Affinity with the electrical mystery. What I was running was just the roof fans on the air conditioning units and not the compressors for the air conditioning. It started with just zone 3 roof air fan in the bedroom that ran and zone 1 and 2 fans in the front of the coach wouldn't come on. Then the next day, all of the fans , zones 1, 2 and 3 would come on and work. I have no idea why one day zone 1 and 2 wouldn't work and then the next day, just start working again. Same thing with my GFI in the bedroom. That same day that the roof fans in zone 1 and 2 wouldn't work, my GFI wouldn't reset. The next day, everything was working as it should. Go figure!

Tim and Linda Neal
Huntington Beach, Ca.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #14

I had a similar problem when I was home last month. I overloaded my inverter by plugging in a air compressor to a basement outlet.

It was hot that day so all of the roof a/c units were running while I was plugged up to the 50amp service from the house.

I couldn't get any power from the gfi outlets until i reset the inverter that showed an overload fault on the control panel.

Your problem sounds exactly what happened to me, except your inverter did a self reset after the over load condition was removed.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, fan, problems