Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Gillig chassis shocks, anyone have any experience ?

My CCC needs new shocks bad, it's in the shop now, waiting for instructions from me, or so it seems. There is very little info other than Monroe part numbers from the service book. ( may be Gillig numbers actually ) . Looking for any feedback on my replacement paths. There are 4 shocks on drive , 2 on tag , and 2 on steer.
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #2

When time comes for mine I will most likely go with Koni.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

I had koni's on my beaver marquis they were awesome, they were adjustable for ride difference, I recommend them. I had 100 thousand miles on them & were still good!
milehitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Adjustable Koni on my rig.

They are original, so 1994-95 build by Gillig.

They seem to work fine and have no leaks at 98,000 miles.

What is the symptom for your replacement of shocks?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitruck View Post
I had koni's on my beaver marquis they were awesome, they were adjustable for ride difference, I recommend them. I had 100 thousand miles on them & were still good!
My thinking as well on the Koni. My main consirn is if Koni has a shock designed for the CCConcept.?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I thought my CC needed new shocks but didn't want to spend the money on Konis, so I bought Monroes for it and replace the Monroes with new Konis after one 7,000 mile trip.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
My thinking as well on the Koni. My main consirn is if Koni has a shock designed for the CCConcept.?
Don't know what chassis your on. Nothing in your sig or profile. Maybe a Gillig.
Might start here if you know the chassis. http://www.supersteerparts.com/produ...ni-shocks.html
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Adjustable Koni on my rig.

They are original, so 1994-95 build by Gillig.

They seem to work fine and have no leaks at 98,000 miles.

What is the symptom for your replacement of shocks?
Symptoms are . constant "porpoising" when pavement is less that perfect. second, and the worst, is side control, centering on the air bags, in a side wind.I have to fight the wheel all the time. Coming back from Vegas a week ago, with a lot of wind, convinced me I needed shocks....or and my shop is checking out all other causes too. Considering I have one broken shock ( missing ) on drive, and a lot of weight to carry around, about 52,000 lbs. my ride should be stable as the Winnie gasers that blew by me in the same cross wind , well , it actually is embarrassing to say the lest ! Many times I was down to 50 or less fighting that crosswind.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Don't know what chassis your on. Nothing in your sig or profile. Maybe a Gillig.
Might start here if you know the chassis. http://www.supersteerparts.com/produ...ni-shocks.html

Thought everyone knew what I go down the road in....sorry ,. My chassis is a Gillig.45' with tag.Country Coach Concept 1998 , Mine must have been one of the last Gillig chassis made for Country Coach. Engine is Detroit 60 series 500 hp.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

With that kind of weight, I would call Gillig and ask their RV parts department the question.

Also, there might be some help at a bus conversion web site in their threads history.

I doubt our version of Koni would be useful.

You could also research the Road King shocks that some folks have used on the newer heavier CC models.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:45 PM   #11

I don't know first hand but I have asked the same question and others have told me to put Road Kings on my CCC when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
I don't know first hand but I have asked the same question and others have told me to put Road Kings on my CCC when the time comes.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
That was recommended to me also , but at over 600.00 per shock , I find using Road Kings not a viable option. The Origional shocks Gillig used ( in part Monroe 6" as described in the parts book ) must have been OK when new, or that seems reasonable to me anyway. I am not consigned about " long life" Shocks, that's for the next guy that comes along........
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 PM   #13

Darstar,

What shocks did you end up going with on your CCC and are you happy with them?

I have a 40' CCC on the Gillig chassis and need shocks in a bad way. I installed Comfort Control Valves on the front air bags which helped slightly and will install them on the drive axle air bags when I replace the shocks. On my coach someone put the drive axle shocks (Koni 90-1951) on the front axle and I'm not sure what is on the drive axle. The Koni rep told me the drive axle shocks are way too soft for the front axle and I need the original Koni 90-1968P shocks on the front.

I am considering the Road King shocks but they quoted me $395 per shock compared to $190 for the Koni, so more than double. I also looked into Bilstein but can't seem to find a crossover for the Koni number.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #14

If you are planning on owning your coach more than 5 yrs or 25k miles I would go with the Road Kings.

When I had Source install the wax valve, and was taking care of the bill, I asked about the Motion Control Units they install. His response was "it wouldn't make a difference on my coach because it handles so nice now." I give most of that credit to the Road Kings, and the new bushings on the sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, shocks