Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Girard slide topper replacement

We're in central Florida and are going to be in need of Girard Slide Topper replacements. At least 3 of the 4 are loosing stitching in all seams. Where is the least expensive place to get this done that will still do a good job? I got an estimate from Tri-Am in Ocala. For all 4 the estimate was $2700+. This included $270 each for labor, plus original Girard material. Can I do better? Please advise.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

A few years ago, I had a CC Intrigue....All of my slide toppers had stitching come loose also.
I had the toppers removed and took them to an upholstery shop and they re stitched all of the seams and I had them re-installed. Good job+saved some bucks too. When I sold it, they were still "like new".
My 2 cents worth...

Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #3

We have an 04 Essex with Carefree slide out toppers and I used RV Goop on the seams over 5 years ago and still have the same slide out toppers on today. 11 years and I think they will last another 3 or 4 more. A little had to put on the bottom of big slides but it can be done and it works. Can get the RV Goop at Wal-Mart.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

I might try the RV Goop. Pulling the toppers and taking them to a seamstress seems like it would be fairly expensive as well. The labor involved might be high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same issue - seams came apart on the driver side front slide-out in my 05 Essex - that was the only thing wrong. I took it to a local RV repair shop. they took it off and had an Amish sewing shop restitch it all for $97 and it looks good. They are not that hard to take off, but sturdy ladders and two people.
Good luck!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #6

I had heard the Girard toppers were more difficult to remove and required special tools. Eventually we decided to replace the 2 worst toppers, both on driver's side, as these are subjected most to the harsh sun conditions at our lot in Silver Springs, Fl. Remember our original estimate was $2700 for all 4. The 2 in question were $1260 at Tri Am in Ocala. We are heading to Alliance Coach in Wildwood (approx. 40 miles) on Monday. They will be replacing both for $800 total. They estimate 2 days because they have to see the toppers on day 1, order the fabric, then do the work on day 2. If the ordered material does not quite match they can reorder and do the work on day 3.

We have some uses for the original material so we felt this was out best solution. Once again Alliance Coach seems out best alternative!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I had heard the Girard toppers were more difficult to remove and required special tools. Eventually we decided to replace the 2 worst toppers, both on driver's side, as these are subjected most to the harsh sun conditions at our lot in Silver Springs, Fl. Remember our original estimate was $2700 for all 4. The 2 in question were $1260 at Tri Am in Ocala. We are heading to Alliance Coach in Wildwood (approx. 40 miles) on Monday. They will be replacing both for $800 total. They estimate 2 days because they have to see the toppers on day 1, order the fabric, then do the work on day 2. If the ordered material does not quite match they can reorder and do the work on day 3.

We have some uses for the original material so we felt this was out best solution. Once again Alliance Coach seems out best alternative!
I wonder if they will get the fabric from StoneVos in Brooksville, FL? Chris at StoneVos has a stellar reputation for making great topper and awning fabric.
We ordered all four slide toppers from him. I know he sends a lot of his customers to Fountain RV in Lakeland to get the actual replacement done.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

As posted
Stone Vos for new awning fabric

here is the link to there website: http://www.stonevos.com/
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #9

I'm not sure where they get the material, but they state it will look the same. If the first batch is not right they will reorder. It will take an extra day, but that's OK.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I'm not sure where they get the material, but they state it will look the same. If the first batch is not right they will reorder. It will take an extra day, but that's OK.
I know that when I called Chris to order my toppers, as soon as I told him the model and year of my coach and that I had the Carefree SOKIII toppers, he knew the fabric color. It was a perfect match for my big awning and the window awnings. Also, the fabric is much heavier and better stitched than the OEM.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #11

I hope that is the case with mine as well. Eventually I will probably replace the right side toppers as well, but finances require the worst to be fixed first. Like I said, I do have another use for the material so with the lower replacement costs versus my first estimate, I can definitely live with the new toppers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 AM   #12

Stonevos in Brooksville, FL is great to work with. I just received two Omega II slide covers/awnings from him last week. The turn around time is very fast. The color is a perfect match.

Check what the warranty is from Alliance. You don't want to have to be doing this again too soon. I replaced my Carefree's with Carefree the first time and they didn't last. Stonevos warranty is three years and I think the thread warranty said lifetime.

Pati
2005 Country Coach Allure For Sale
Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #13

The topper replacement went without a hitch. Arrived at Alliance Coach on Monday late morning. Material was ordered that day. Tuesday morning old toppers came down and went to sewing room. A couple hours later new toppers were going on. Done in one day. We stayed a second day because we were having the bottom step tile replaced (Two tiles were cracked and allowed water under tiles, getting spongy). Tearing out the old tile and 3 layers of plywood, cleaning and drying, installing hardy board, thin setting the new tile took all day (on/off to allow drying). Next morning special flexible grout is added. After a few hours drying, on the way home. The new tiles are covered with a thin board to keep dirt out during the 72 hour complete drying time recommended by the grout manufacturer.

I cut a special deal with Alliance, $400 for the tile job. At $125 per hour the tiling job would have been much more expensive. $400 for each topper (these are one piece of material without any seams), I am pleased.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
replace, replacement, slide