Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

Glass bowl, driver side, near air compressor

On our 04 Allure, the electronic's cabinet below the drivers seat, also has what looks to be an electric air compressor (assume it is what is used when the engine is not running). Next to it is a glass bowl. This looks like it has something to do with capturing moisture. This bowl has dried up white like particles, down in the bottom area.

I don't have my manuals with me, but was wondering if this something that should be taken apart to clean out periodically? It's not much stuff in it, but it is stuff in it!.

Does anyone know if I'm correct in assuming it is related to the compressor air to contain moisture? And, if the two boxes of manuals provided by CC has anything in it that covers how to open this bowl and maintain it?

TIA, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

Could be a moisture filter or an expansion tank. When do you hear the compressor come on? It's strange that there is one under the seat.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Could be a moisture filter or an expansion tank. When do you hear the compressor come on? It's strange that there is one under the seat.

My bad on how I try to say where it was. It is electrical basement cabinet below the drivers seat. I hear it when I have turned the engine off, and then try to do auto leveling. It is used to pump the air in needed to raise a things up. (Note: I 99.9% of the time, level with the engine running, and it feeds the bags the air needed to raise.)

Yeah, moisture filter of some kind, ans I suspect the dried up substance is the residue from moisture accumulating and then drying out.

Smitty
Old 01-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The plastic bowl is a water (and crud) trap for that air compressor. The compressor helps keep the coach level after you shut down the engine. You may hear it run briefly at times when it needs to adjust the level a bit.

I have not seen any water in mine but I did have the white scales in it. I put a new filter in the thing and cleaned out the bowl when I changed the filter.

I can't remember right now but I think there is a crude check valve in the bottom of the bowl that will allow any water to drain out whenever the compressor is not running and there is no pressure in the bowl.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #5

Smiranger is correct.. There should be a small solenoid on the bottom of the bowl..it opens to let water escape and also releases head pressure on the compressor. Cleaning the crud out will keep the solenoid from freezing up..
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #6

Ah, makes sense now. The compressor for your air system. Ours is a gasser and works on hydraulic fluid instead of air. You should be able to remove the glass and clean it up.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Opened up, and bowl cleaned out. Was not a big deal!

Best to all,
Smitty

Tags
compressor, driver