Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Grey/Black Tank Probes Location

Our Black tank probe sensors have decided to no longer play well with us. Have tried to cleanings while in this park (Calgon first. TSP 2nd.). When first drained after these cleaning attempts, all report accurately. But after several hours, assume after the probes have finished drying completely off, two of the gauges are reflecting full to that mark (tank is empty).

I will add more cleaning and a 20lb bag of ice when we head out to our next location, and see if that might get them running again. But, I also don't mind replacing the probes with the "Horst Miracle Probes" at about $45 a set. (And it really is not that big of a deal to not have Black Tank sensors for us. Except I like to know that I'm at least at half a tank before draining. So I don't feel i want to do the See Level monitors.)

So, my question is does anyone know if the 04 Allure era coaches have probes accessible by removing the full panel of the plumbing bay? Will probably just tap drill in new holes for these Horst sensors, but need access to the existing probe wires to move them over.

TIA,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
IC2

Smitty - there are probably 3 probes screwed in the tanks at the usual three levels the readout gives you for amount. They may come out - but then, maybe not. A couple years ago I gave up on our 5er and installed a SeeLevel assembly. They have sensors mounted on the exterior of the tank and read by electronics and give you a continuous percentage of full at the push of a button. I left the existing sensors in place (fresh tank still worked OK and black - occasionally, if well flushed and gray - never worked again). They aren't the easiest installation as you have to locate the monitor as well as run new wiring though others used the old sensor wire. Not inexpensive, but you have 3-4 tanks, LP if you have a tank or set of tanks that have senders plus battery voltage. I found that they were pretty dang close to being right on the money though the tank height was such that the first 3-4 inches weren't read as I mounted the sensors higher. You can purchase extra sensors to add to the height. Here's the website: SeeLeveL RV Gauges by Garnet Technologies Inc.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed the See Level system on my previous coach and was thrilled to see that same system on the Allure. The See Level system is not hard to install unless access to your holding tanks is difficult and the system just works. The only issue I ever had with See Level was a defective sensor strip which was my fault....I broke a little gizmo off the strip when I was working in the wet bay. Pulled it off, stuck the new one on and back in business.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
We used a similar cleaning method and had some pretty good success. It did take several times to get them working and I throw some detergent and borax (calgon is hard to find out west) in the black tank and the borax in the gray tank after I do a dump. I also try not to dump unless they are at least 1/2 full usually 3/4. One thing I did notice is that when the tanks are empty (Gray and Black) they may show all full until the levels get up to about 1/4. I have found that the fresh water gauge is pretty accurate and have used it to judge when the gray water is full. For the black water gauge when I doubt it's reading I just grab a flash light and take a look down the toilet
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

Thanks gang. I have a follow up call in with a tech on another item (heater fan problem). He, and many of the shops crew, were on the assembly lines for the Allure when it was built.

I'll ask him if he recalls if the probes are accessible, or tucked in towards the sides with poor access. I'm going to assume they must have good access, as the wires needed to be attached to the OEM probes during assembly. Was hoping to not need and pull the front panel off of the plumbing bay to look before ordering.

And who knows, a few hundred miles of sloshing around ice and detergent might get the OEM probes working again!

(I always empty and flush before parking the rig at the end of trips. And unless asked not to by an RV Park (water shortages), I flush with each drain... So was surprised that three of the sensors in the Black tank started acting up.)

Best to all, and may off of your Grey and Black 'flow well!'!
Smitty
Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

Thought I'd share that we have our OEM probes working again. The two earlier attempts to clean them that failed, the third time worked.

I went to get some packets of dishwashing soap, but ended up with something I had not seen before. Tide has a Washing Machine Cleaner.

http://www.soap.com/p/tide-washing-m...8-f295a9ee4787

These come in a box with three packets, to be used once a month in your washing machines.

We drained, flushed, added 17-18 gallons in our 40 gallon black tank. Then stopped at the store and got twenty pounds of ice cubes (I'm pretty sure that one 10 lb bag would have done just as well.) We drove from Prescott to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Drained, flushed again.

All probes now working again!

I had never heard or the Washing Machine Cleaner. And frankly don't know if it was that, or the old ice cube method, that made the difference.

I'm still going to check out where the probe wires are after this trip, and go ahead and replace the probes with the ones mentioned above.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
IC2

Smitty, that Tide stuff looks like a winner.

I started to read a few of the reviews on your posted link and the very first one I came to suggested that you could make your own in bulk and use it often. This is a quote from that review:

".......All in all, it works. But after looking at the ingredients I realized I'm using the same ingredients in my homemade laundry detergent plus an oxygen booster. What's the difference? I use 1 TB per load and the pouch contains about half a cup or more. And my laundry detergent contains soap. This product doesn't.

If you need a product like this and don't care about the perfume, buy some Washing Soda, Borax, and Oxygen Cleaner (like Oxy-clean or Oxy-Boost) Combine equal amounts in a container with a lid. And once a month, run an empty load with a cup of this mixture. You'll save money and get the same results."

I'll probably try the Tide but I am thrifty (cheap??) so might even make up some of the DIY stuff, especially after seeing what came out during the final, season end flush even after a many, many gallon flush at a the last CG.

Tags
cat, tank