Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

groaning sound when applying the brakes

Im new so excuse me if this is a dumb one.

I notice a groaning sound from up front under the coach almost center when I apply the brakes. It sounds like an air pump. is this the pump bringing more air to the brake system as I use them ? the sound is fairly loud and starts and stops. It may do it as little as 3 times or as much as 6 or more. Does that sound normal ? Should I be able to hear this in the coach ?

Also the air dryer out back seems to blast off a lot. Is that normal ?

1989 CCC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The only dumb question ; is the one you don't ask !
Particularly if not asking ends up costing you $$$.
Questions.
Is the groaning , only on the first 3>6 brake applications of the day ?
Then not heard again till the coach has been sitting for several days?
Reason for asking ; my coach will have noise from the brakes , after sitting for extended period , and it comes from a slight build up of rust on the brake drums ( I live in an area with high humidity) and as soon as the rust wears off, the brakes a quiet for the rest of the trip.

Air pressure for the coach air system is provided by a compressor mounted on the engine and you can't hear it over the diesel operation.
Rapid cycling of the air dryer purge valve , could be an indication of servicing being required; most dryers have a 18>36 month service interval.
Are you aware that the air system in your coach may have , manual water drains on the tanks that should be used every 6 months to check for water accumulation.
There are several different air dryer systems in use on motor home chassis this document covers service on two of them ; just to give you an idea of the work required. If you find a different name on your dryer; and post it , I'm sure members can provide a service manual for it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Dryer Maintenance web version.pdf (161.5 KB, 17 views)

Old 07-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

thanks for the response. I know it is not build up on the drums making the sound. The coach does have more than one air system on it. The noise is in conjunction with the air gauge. As the noise happens the air gauge moves up. I believe there is an air pump where the sound is coming from. It seems like it would be located right behind the generator
Old 07-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootjack View Post
thanks for the response. I know it is not build up on the drums making the sound. The coach does have more than one air system on it. The noise is in conjunction with the air gauge. As the noise happens the air gauge moves up. I believe there is an air pump where the sound is coming from. It seems like it would be located right behind the generator

Is you generator on a slide in the nose of the rig or in a side compartment?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

air slide in front nose
Old 07-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

My generator is in the nose also.

There is no pump in the center of our rig.

Groaning could be something to do with the generator slide, exhaust extension or other attachments when stressed during braking.

When my generator is running, I get noises from the generator and its slide in hard turns.

Or you might check your bushings on the front axle components like tie rods, or the air bags for evidence of wear and movement.

The air brake diagram does not show a pump behind the generator slide. That would be very difficult to service and be crowded against the fuel tank.

I do have a 12v air pump that feeds the air leveling system, but it is mounted in the forward driver side basement. That compressor only services the air leveling system, not the braking system.

The only other air pump I am aware of is the compressor mounted on the engine.

There is possibly a school bus water pump in the coolant system behind your passenger side front bumper that should not be affected by slowing the rig.

This is new one to me so I am not much help.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 07-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

You re making me think and thats a good thing. I was just reading in my manual and it says that there are relief valves mounted there for the air brake system. I am sure this sound is connected to the air brakes. When the groan happens the air gauge moves up. as I use the brake the pressure move slightly down then the groan moves it back up. Is the reservoir air tank mounted up there ? Could it be a valve opening and letting air into the system from that tank ? I wish I was explaining it a little better. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

here is a picture of what I think might be going on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	132162  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
TR4

Check valves on the air tanks?

Bill
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

My air tanks are on the passenger side of the chassis rear of the passenger seat I think.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 07-06-2016, 01:39 AM   #10

Just a couple of thoughts. Some rigs have an air reserve tank in front so it could be a fluttering valve. Have a helper press the brake and crawl under and listen.
If your finding the air dryer purging frequently as noted it may need a cartridge replacement or it could mean an air leak. On most rigs the air purge is tied to the air compressor governor so when the air has reached full when the air compressor shuts down it signals the dryer to purge. You want to watch your air to confirm pressure is not going down when sitting and not touching the brakes.

Tags
brake, brakes