Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

Hauling a Jeep and a side by side

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea on how strict the DOT or police are if you are over the legal length or width. I have a dilemma ... I own a 42 foot Country Coach, a 4 door jeep and a Polaris side by side and would like to haul them this winter to California, Mexico and Utah....I know I am over the length (id be a total of 70 feet) so I thought I could put the side by side on side ways on my trailer but then I'm over by 2 feet on the width. I thought I could build something so that the machine is possibly up in the air but so far I have no idea how to do this...I saw an old post on a Polaris web site that I fellow did this but couldn't download the pictures to see how he did it. Any ideas out there on how strict the laws are, how to go about getting a permit or if you can to haul longer loads or how I can build something to haul both...other wise something has to stay behind and I'd really like to have both machines with me when we go. Thanks
Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #2

It's less a matter of how strict the laws are and more a matter of how strict the Law Enforcement OFFICERS are. I think they would be more liable to pull you over and site you for being over WIDTH, than over LENGTH, besides, being two feet over width is much more obvious than being (I think) 5 feet too long. That's assuming the length restriction is 65', but don't quote me on that.

I think the more important item is the length restrictions are there for a reason, and personally I would not want to gamble with it. If you are absolutely set on having both items, consider pulling the side by side on a trailer behind the coach, and driving the jeep. Otherwise I would leave something behind. Not worth getting a substantial ticket, sitting on the side of the road with a LEO while he gets a measuring tape etc. Just my take . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:57 AM   #3

I've seen a lot of folks who run over length. Never seen anybody claim over width. I'd think the width would get you more attention especially considering toll booths and places like that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #4

I have a friend with a 40' CC pulling a 24' enclosed trailer without issue traveling in Oregon, Idaho and Utah. I also have a Jeep and SXS and have contemplated getting a 22' flatbed trailer so I can haul them both. Mostly so I can have a "get around" vehicle when we are at the dunes. Current trailer is only 6x10 so just barely big enough for the SXS.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
"... I'd really like to have both machines with me when we go."

A Stacker
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

I have a good friend whom runs all over the "West" in a 45' super C pulling a custom 30', 14' tall stacker trailer with 2 race cars in it. He runs from WA to Nevada, AZ, and ID on a regular basis during race season...
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
"... I'd really like to have both machines with me when we go."

A Stacker
If you've got the money that's the way to go.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

A stacker trailer may be an option. Otherwise go for over length instead of over width as mentioned previously.

We wish to carry a side by side as well, but have opted to replace the jeep with a pickup as our new toad, so we can carry the SXS on the back of the pickup.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #9

About 7 yrs ago I saw I guy who was pulling a PKU that had a rack on the bed of the truck with a winch and he could haul his boat up on to the PKU and tow it with his MH. You might be able to build something like that and incorporate it into your roll bar on the jeep. Kind of a do it your self stacker.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #10

I have always heard to stay out of CA. with over length stuff. i am 78ft and have been all over the south east with no problems
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #11

Hauling a jeep and rzr

I figured it out,thanks.i have pics if any one is interested
Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171202_202531.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	184480
Saw this at FMCA Ralley this summer.
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot53 View Post
Attachment 184480
Saw this at FMCA Ralley this summer.
Wow! I wonder how tall that is? It looks to be 18" to 24" higher than the AC units on the coach . . . . . I've be pretty leary of that additional height driving down the road!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhoy View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has any idea on how strict the DOT or police are if you are over the legal length or width. I have a dilemma ... I own a 42 foot Country Coach, a 4 door jeep and a Polaris side by side and would like to haul them this winter to California, Mexico and Utah....I know I am over the length (id be a total of 70 feet) so I thought I could put the side by side on side ways on my trailer but then I'm over by 2 feet on the width. I thought I could build something so that the machine is possibly up in the air but so far I have no idea how to do this...I saw an old post on a Polaris web site that I fellow did this but couldn't download the pictures to see how he did it. Any ideas out there on how strict the laws are, how to go about getting a permit or if you can to haul longer loads or how I can build something to haul both...other wise something has to stay behind and I'd really like to have both machines with me when we go. Thanks

If you are involved in an accident you will be at fault no matter what if you are not legal to start with. when I had my fiver I was 92 foot long going from Iowa to Canada fish and never was questioned about length worrying a bout it now did it for more than 20 years.
tacaem is offline   Reply With Quote