Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Terry Jay, a couple of comments:

1. We have an ESP from Cornerstone and it has served us well. Like you, I usually pass on ESP's but the Allure was the most complicated coach we've had so I decided to get a 4 year plan. Cornerstone has paid out more than we paid for the plan. They have quickly approved every repair.

2. Being able to go to JC for annual service is a real advantage, for sure. You have several great options for service/repairs/upgrades there, and from folks who really know Country Coaches.

3. Kevin's tech support plan is $350 per year. It includes access to him and his BIL, Butch Williams who is also a former CC tech. Butch is now the service manager for Fountain RV in Lakeland, FL. Butch is the electrical expert. I've used them both and saved far more than the annual fee by avoiding having to take the coach a shop, pay high labor fees and have extended down time. Their plan includes not only talking you thru troubleshooting and repair but also any tech you might have working on your coach.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #16

darstar

Great story, thanks. Also appreciate your insight on the maintenance costs, a bit higher than I expected but not in deal breaker range.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

smlranger

Thanks for the reply. I presume that the extended warranty service plan was purchased thru the dealer. Am contacting Kevin as well
Old 09-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #18

Terry Jay,

Thanks for the update.

I will be in no hurry, more concerned with the cars flying by in the opposite direction kicking up rocks.
Even though my 02 is 14 yrs old the paint still looks new with very little rock chips.

Once we get north of Ft. St. John I plan on driving mostly in the early mornings and late evenings when there is less traffic.

Good luck with the purchase, keep us posted on how things turn out.

Brett

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
smlranger

Thanks for the reply. I presume that the extended warranty service plan was purchased thru the dealer. Am contacting Kevin as well
Thanks you ! My annual cost of 10,000 a year includes items I will not have to do again, so hopefully this winter season will give us a break.....I still have 4 tires and 4 rims to purchase next month and we should be set for Snowbirding.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
smlranger

Yes, we purchased the Cornerstone ESP thru the dealer when we bought the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks you ! My annual cost of 10,000 a year includes items I will not have to do again, so hopefully this winter season will give us a break.....I still have 4 tires and 4 rims to purchase next month and we should be set for Snowbirding.
I have heard of this Snowbirding you speak of. I think we are Rainbirds, summer in Alaska in the rainy season, winter on the Olympic Peninsula where they measure rain in feet 'cause inches has too many digits. The worst is November and December, or Thanksgiving and Christmas, so maybe after the first of the year we may try AridZona for a bit.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Terry Jay,

Thanks for the update.

I will be in no hurry, more concerned with the cars flying by in the opposite direction kicking up rocks.
Even though my 02 is 14 yrs old the paint still looks new with very little rock chips.

Once we get north of Ft. St. John I plan on driving mostly in the early mornings and late evenings when there is less traffic.

Good luck with the purchase, keep us posted on how things turn out.

Brett

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brett, we tend to get on the road around 6am, no later than 7, and target 350 miles a day. Traffic really picks up about 9am. North of Dawson Creek there can be heavy traffic as the oil and gas operation is still going strong. Now, heavy traffic is one or two vehicles per mile. About 80 miles N of Ft Nelson (a guess, check the map) is Steamboat Mtn after which traffic dies out, as in a vehicle every 5 miles. I am looking into Rejex or something similar for the paint and mud issue, as that mud just sticks to everything and is quite gritty. Think a Teflon coated coach or trailer.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #23

I found Kevin Waite's phone and email, sent him an email, and we will get together in JC. He will have a suggested spares list for me. Kevin, this is Wallet, Wallet, this is Kevin...(Insert Smiley Face with Grin here). Pushed back delivery a week as there are a number of foggy window repairs to be made and because i want at least 3 days available to go over the systems and maintenance. Lots of time in Diesel and lots of time in Towables, but no time in a coach.

Thanks to all for the comments, and I sure hope you keep them coming.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #24

Quote:
I have heard of this Snowbirding you speak of. I think we are Rainbirds, summer in Alaska in the rainy season, winter on the Olympic Peninsula where they measure rain in feet 'cause inches has too many digits. The worst is November and December, or Thanksgiving and Christmas, so maybe after the first of the year we may try AridZona for a bit.
Words of advice: That is if you are considering coming on down the the deserts, there are three of them. First is the Chihuahuan desert: so dry you can't spit ! Mostly in NM can get snow in Jan. February...even March depending where you are. Not as hot as the next desert , the Sonoran, hotter in winter, two flowering seasons, and yes hotter than anyplace on earth in the summer, almost anyway. More green areas ( brown ) and mostly in Az. Third is the Mojave , the smallest of the three , but to me , the best of all. Covers southern NV. And southern parts of Ca. .....Not everyone will agree with me, so chose your poison , but try to base your winter visits by which desert you are in. The thing I most miss is not rain , but trees., there are few, if any. ....yes, you seem to live your life .so far with moss growing on everything you own, including yourself. ! I do have to ask why however. The Olympic. penn. is not a lot different than southern Alaska, and I like both too, it's the trees mostly.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
.......... The thing I most miss is not rain , but trees., there are few, if any. ....yes, you seem to live your life .so far with moss growing on everything you own, including yourself. ! I do have to ask why however. The Olympic. penn. is not a lot different than southern Alaska, and I like both too, it's the trees mostly.
GRRR, trees are my enemy.... I try to keep them away from the house and RV, too much shade where sun is a precious commodity, and too much moss and fungi in the shade. They are nice to look at. On a serious note, trees and forests are pleasant, and we like them a lot, it is just that we prefer they be back far enough to let in the sunshine and not present a falling object hazard.

I take your point about the various deserts. We went to Death Valley some years back in March and did Scotty's Castle, then went to a fellow up the road in NV who was building his own Castle as a work in progress. After, we went over the hill, to be confronted with several hundred feet of snow drift. All others in the group had Jeeps and flotation sand tires, and I had a 2007 Ram Diesel 4x4. Second down the hill, put it in 4WD Lock and went Truck Skiing. What a hoot. Tires never did find earth, but the grade and speed/momentum sufficed to get down.

Have some neighbors who winter in Tucson, will likely go see them, and a brother down near Tombstone. Tombstone and Bisbee are kind of neat as well. So far we like Nevada and AriDZona.

On the Kenai in 2015 and 2014 we had fires, very large wildland fires, got within a couple miles of the place, so a tense week or so each year. Had an evacuation plan, but the State and Fed fire guys kept them pretty much contained on the Fed wildlife refuge. The place is in an open field and the well will put out 19 gal/minute, so keeping the worst away is doable. The firestorms dropping burning ash and debris may be a different issue. Insurance current and paid.

We like the Kenai because....
Easy access to the store, such as Fred Meyer and Home Depot
Relatively sparse population, but some available RV services
Good fishing. Salmon in the Kenai, Halibut in the Inlet and Ressurection Bay (Seward)
Good local medical
There are trees, they know their place, and we are at peace....
Old 09-10-2016, 03:58 AM   #26

Quote:
GRRR, trees are my enemy.... I try to keep them away from the house and RV, too much shade where sun is a precious commodity, and too much moss and fungi in the shade. They are nice to look at. On a serious note, trees and forests are pleasant, and we like them a lot, it is just that we prefer they be back far enough to let in the sunshine and not present a falling object hazard.

I take your point about the various deserts. We went to Death Valley some years back in March and did Scotty's Castle, then went to a fellow up the road in NV who was building his own Castle as a work in progress. After, we went over the hill, to be confronted with several hundred feet of snow drift. All others in the group had Jeeps and flotation sand tires, and I had a 2007 Ram Diesel 4x4. Second down the hill, put it in 4WD Lock and went Truck Skiing. What a hoot. Tires never did find earth, but the grade and speed/momentum sufficed to get down.

Have some neighbors who winter in Tucson, will likely go see them, and a brother down near Tombstone. Tombstone and Bisbee are kind of neat as well. So far we like Nevada and AriDZona.

On the Kenai in 2015 and 2014 we had fires, very large wildland fires, got within a couple miles of the place, so a tense week or so each year. Had an evacuation plan, but the State and Fed fire guys kept them pretty much contained on the Fed wildlife refuge. The place is in an open field and the well will put out 19 gal/minute, so keeping the worst away is doable. The firestorms dropping burning ash and debris may be a different issue. Insurance current and paid.

We like the Kenai because....
Easy access to the store, such as Fred Meyer and Home Depot
Relatively sparse population, but some available RV services
Good fishing. Salmon in the Kenai, Halibut in the Inlet and Ressurection Bay (Seward)
Good local medical
There are trees, they know their place, and we are at peace....
Good words........I like rain , wrote an essay once , about outrunning it , with the top down...........( Open Road ,still available on Amazon ) I lived 18 years on the Highlands Plateau in the NC Blueridge Mtns. We were just one or two props from being a rain forest , I know the feeling.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #27

Terry Jay,

I'll second Kevin being a great resource! We've bought many unique items with his help. And we did have his and Butch service phone support plan, it's a comfort kind of thing. Which shifts to a 'Sure glad I have this!' kind of thing when you have a problem...

When you are in JC, suggest you have a CC knowledgeable hope go thru things for you. Anything that you are not sure has been taken care of, and even then, inspection can find 'other opportunities to spend'. My point is to take sometime with the talent in Junction City area, to have your rig looked over by those that know it well. House, and chassis.

Kevin for sure can help on this. Other local J.C. talent includes: Country Coach (Winnebago), Premier, and Oregon Motor Coach.

Full disclosure. I've never worked with Kevin on my coach. And I started a relationship with Oregon Motor Coach, prior to visiting the reborn Country Coach. I did visit CC in the early years, and elected to remain with Oregon Motor Coach.

But, I feel any of these shops, and others too in J.C., would be worth spending a few shop hours of labor on to look over your rig.

====

We have Coachnet, and glad we do. Hope to never need it. But will keep with them.

===

If looking for Extended Warranties. Suggest calling Wholesales Warranties - as when I was shopping, they provided me with excellent guidance on the very confusing world of EW's. (We ended up not getting a EW. But I can tell you that the Dealer I bough my used coach from off of consignment, really pushed a specific well thought of EW on me. And, of course, in the final signing of documents, amazingly the 'nice Finance Manager', not wanting me to risk having such a complex coach with out EW, offered to shave the costs to 'bare minimum' as far as the Dealer was concerned. Wholesales Warranties, had the exact same plan (A good one.), for about $1800 less...

Go do some shopping, and see if this is something your want.

But most of all, go have some fun.

Oh, and Yuma does have trees too. Many of them. Just not pine trees! A mix of palms, and others....

Best,
Smitty
Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #28

Hi Smitty
Talked to Kevin Friday, we will connect when we are down there. The coach is at Premier. We want to take delivery on a Monday so we have the week available to keep going over the various systems with people who know what they are talking about until my feeble mind grasps what they are saying. My current sense is that Premier is doing a credible job on the comprehensive PDI, including repairing 5 foggy windows, which delayed us a week.

We currently have Good Sam on the roadside service, but would switch if it was warranted.

Will try Wholesale this week to see what is on offer.

Looks like we need a spare parts stock, and will get suggestions from both Premier and Kevin. Also need a tool list, hopefully not an entire Snap-On truck, just enough to cover the likely requirements. We built in an added 15% of purchase price to cover WA sales tax and registration, repair and upgrade at delivery, spares to keep on hand, and a dedicated tool kit sourced at Harbor Freight.

One extra I may include is a comprehensive inspection of all the electrical grounds. In reading the posts for the last year the electrical issues seem the most vexing, and are often related to grounding issues, and I do not want to crawl under an air suspension bus while on the road.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to more responses.