Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Headed to Salt Lake City

We are headed to FMCA rally in Wy. leaving there going to Salt Lake City any suggestions on routes to take and things to see and do along the way. How are the wild fires in Utah plan on doing the canon loop while in Utah.

Tommy Townsend
2006 Magna
tomtownod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #2
GBB

I wouldn't wish Salt Lake traffic on anybody...
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stay at the KOA in Salt Lake City.

Tour the various LDS Church building which are located within a mile of the campground.

You can go to the choir rehearsals during the week. Very good singers!!!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #4

I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as routes. Easiest of course out of most of Wyoming is I80 which goes right through Salt Lake City. I-80 or I-15 are heavy traffic during the morning and evening rush hours. If you're coming more out of the North Western part of Wyoming most routes will dump you out on I-15 which again goes right through Salt Lake.

Campground wise, I haven't ever stayed in the Salt Lake area itself other than Antelope Island with the grand kids. it's not someplace I'd recommend in the main summer months due to heat, and bugs. Sightseeing in the city itself the most common tourist area is the Mormon Temple grounds. We actually have a pretty nice zoo, aquarium etc as well. From Salt lake you have a lot of good options for hiking, mountain biking etc if you're in to that sort of thing. With a little more info on what you're looking for I could give some good recommendations.

The wildfires are popping up like wildfires this year (Sorry for the pun but it fits unfortunately). The wind direction is changing a lot so it really varies how much the smoke might affect the area you're in. A big fire up around the Strawberry Reservoir and Duschense area has been closing roads and resulting in a lot of evacuations. It's also kicking out a lot of smoke. My neighbors also just came back early from an atv trip down around the Bicknell Utah area due to fires in that area. You just kind of have to play it by ear.

As far as the Canon loop, I'll assume you meant the canyon loop down through the national parks. It's hot, but crowded like always this time of year, and other than maybe a little smoke spoiling the views somewhat you shouldn't have any fire issues down there.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A worthy stop is Golden Spike National Historic Site https://www.nps.gov/gosp/index.htm Get there early to watch the engines leave their sheds.
We stayed at Golden Spike RV Park and visited The ATK Missile Garden, Golden Spike, and Bear River Bird Refuge. You can walk to the Old Grist Mill Bakery for really fine bread, pastries, and sandwiches.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

If downtown make sure to go see City creek mall. It has a creek running through it, and a roof that opens and closes
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #7

Expect warm temperatures in SLC! My wife and I ran thru SLC, coming from Santa Fe, NM on our way to Newport, OR for the eclipse last year. 107 if my memory is correct!! We spent a very 'cool', and fun day, at the Utah Natural History Museum. Great exhibits. And I'm a fan of good architecture - and give the building two Thumbs Up!.

No info on the fires or smoke situation... And that can vary quickly, so use the info provided here to check out what's going on!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #8

Lots of fires but the smoke isn't too bad here right now
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:20 AM   #9

Hey Tommy, check out the kennecott copper mine tour in SLC.....Luther
lwikle is offline   Reply With Quote