Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Heavy Rain killed my Cat

On Monday we left the Oregon coast headed to Junction City to have my Samsung 197 and Magnum 2812 inverter installed. About 40 miles out of Portland on I-5 in one of the worst rain storms that I have been in, down to 35mph heavy rain and fog my coach started to miss thinking it may be fuel filters it would not go over 1000rpm so I changed both filters but it did not change. Thinking it may be an injector or 2 I called Good Sam they sent out a tow truck, there in about 30min. Just before he got there I checked the oil and it looked good BUT out of the corner of my eye I seen the air filter indicator gauge in a full yellow. We pulled the filter cover and we got a bath, it was full of water. He called Cat, no filter in stock then he called Napa they had one so he dispatched another driver to pick it up $87.44 installed it and it ran just fine. With 2+ inch of rain on the freeway I think a semi went by and drowned the side of my coach filling the air intake.
This is the first time I have ever had to use Good Sam in 9 years they are great in my book and B.C. Towing out of Salem, Or are great.
The Samsung install went well along with the Magnum all in about 7hrs, Bobby and Scott at Amazing Creations in Junction City are great and the best price in town.
Has anyone had this happen to them or am I the first with a CC to get stranded by water killing my Cat.
2 stroker
2006 Inspire 51744.
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That happened to my Onan 7500 diesel generator once. We were coming up from Flo-Rida after buying the coach. Had the Genny running the whole time, Ran into a HEAVY rain storm coming into Georgia. The genny quit. I just left it and didn't bother with it. Trucked on a bit more and the rain finally slowed. We decided to call it a night in Valdosta. I tried to start the genny again and it did start but coughing and sputtering and smoking black. The little filter was just plugged with water and finally cleared itself and ran fine. Once got home gave it a full service with new filters. Good thing didn't pull in too much water and hydraulic the engine.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Floyd, it looks like you got some answers on the CC forum, hope that fixes the problem.

By the way, I love dead Cats, they taste like chicken
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Floyd, it looks like you got some answers on the CC forum, hope that fixes the problem.

By the way, I love dead Cats, they taste like chicken
Don
There is nothing wrong with the coach, just a lot of water on the road and it got washed will going down the road. There is a rubber dust plug cover on the bottom and it is open. All I can say it will never happen again!!
You got one up on me, I have never tasted Cat but I do like Chicken
Floyd
Old 09-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have read where others have had similar situations and it doesn't have to be a CAT.

It really depends on the location of the air intake vents.

Mine happen to be way up high near the roof on the rear. It would be very difficult to get a lot of water into the intake vent holes as they are pointing down with somewhat of a cover over them.

For those that have vulnerable air intake vents, take heed when driving in heavy rains, etc.

I have included a photo which isn't my exact coach but if you look up where the rear view camera and two rear docking lights are located that whole area is my air intake vents.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19602-4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	46747  
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have read where others have had similar situations and it doesn't have to be a CAT.

It really depends on the location of the air intake vents.

Mine happen to be way up high near the roof on the rear. It would be very difficult to get a lot of water into the intake vent holes as they are pointing down with somewhat of a cover over them.

For those that have vulnerable air intake vents, take heed when driving in heavy rains, etc.

I have included a photo which isn't my exact coach but if you look up where the rear view camera and two rear docking lights are located that whole area is my air intake vents.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard
You are right, mine is about 5' off the ground and to top it off it is on the drivers side, it should be up high or on the curbside. My daughters coach is high on the driverside.
2 Stroker>>Floyd

Tags
cat