Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
HELP>AV System redo...a good idea or not?

Hi Country Coachers. I have a problem and am reaching out to my universe for help.

My '05 CC Allure 470 has had so many people working behind the component rack that few things work. The area looks like something out of a briar patch. So I want to redo (or more likely have redone) my AV updated to modern times.

Here's what doesn't work — surround sound system, security system, I've dumped the audio CD player, the rear TV is receives nothing, the Winegard dish. The main TV flashes on and off when it is hot outside. The local TV antenna is iffy. The TV flashing seems to be temperature related: what component of it would be in the sun?

In the component rack now are the Dish Network boxes, the switcher box, the DVD player. I have two original digital TVs, both working (rear TV doesn't get signal). The radio works in all speakers.

I don't give a scrap about surround sound, or the security system. I have Apple TV, but it's not connected. I just want to get my TVs working, Apple TV working, and whatever else I need to enjoy watching videos. I have a Soho system for Wifi installed, but it's too complicated for me to use. The manual is over 1200 pages! I don't know how to attach my Wifi to my Apple 3TB AirPort Extreme.

First question: What should I consider installing?

Second: Is there someone I could engage to help me figure out what to do and then who or how to do it?

Third: Has anyone had experience with USA Luxury Coaches in Tampa? If so, how did it go? Is a RV repair place such as USA the place to go for electronics work? Im going to then in November for insurance claim work.

Last: I have a budget of $1,000-1,500, is this enough to do an upgrade w/o new TVs?

I Look forward to your wise council.

8Birds, Tom
2005 CC Allure 470 #31177, full-timer and painter Tom, his "kids" -- 2 African greys & a happy Havanese greeter-pup -- lugging way too much kit and being pushed by 8Birds, a wee Mini Cooper 6-speed toad
8Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Wish you luck, $1500 should buy 2 TV's. I feel your pain.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:56 PM   #3

TVs OK. Added AppleTV to both, so I have smart TVs for $300. Am down to a switcher, 2 Dish boxes, 1 Apple TV box, digital TV box & DVR player, Pepwave WiFi extender in rack. Have modem and 3TB Apple Airport in box to left of slide out controls. Getting a sound bar to replace the dead home theatre. This mess will come in under a grand cuz I have some components already.
2005 CC Allure 470 #31177, full-timer and painter Tom, his "kids" -- 2 African greys & a happy Havanese greeter-pup -- lugging way too much kit and being pushed by 8Birds, a wee Mini Cooper 6-speed toad
Old 09-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
TTD

I'm in similar boat so I'll be watching this thread closely.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

I have a rack for the A/V equipment.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

8Brirds, assume you looking for a signal switcher for HDMI? I have used a Monoprice blackbird 6x2 matrix at home. It would work in an RV, its very small 10x1x4d. 6x2 means 6 inputs that can be switched to 2 independent outputs. How are you feeding the HDMI signal to the rear TV? Some people have used an HDMI transmitter to varying degree's of success.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

The Directtv Genie I have uses the SWM hardware. Basically, it uses Coax and it works. There is a RV forum here on web, TV etc. Let me know if I can help.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #8

First off, the Dish brand DVR's run hot. I had this issue with my home system, mounted in cabinet with glass doors, until I switched to directv. My Intrigue has 3 exhaust fans mounted in the front tv area and AV cabinet that are controlled by a "smart box". Temp sensor probes, one each for the tv and AV cabinets, monitor temps and adjust the fan speed based on that. I was told this was installed by CC when the coach was built. I believe you can get a similar controller in the aftermarket. The fans are just small biscuit fans like used in a computer.

I just had the Bose removed and a Samsung surround sound/DVD player installed in the AV cabinet. It uses the Bose speakers and "talks" to my TV which is also a Samsung. The people who did the change over did a crappy job, I had to go back in a tidy up the wiring as it was a rats nest. I would not recommend them (they also did the satellite install), sloppy work and they left tar in the carpet in several places that I had to clean up. It also took a second trip on their part to fix my dash stereo as the tech cut a main cable between the satellite radio and the dash unit. A long story

The switch box only operates the cable tv and OTA antenna options, everything else uses HDMI cables.

I also have an alarm system but I have no idea if it works, the dealer we bought from didn't tell us anything about it. I don't think they even knew it was there. I'm not too concerned about it at this time.

After my experience with having a "professional" work on it is o do it yourself. None of it that hard and after the install you will know all you need to trouble shoot any issues later on. And save some money too.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

I have too agree with the "DIY" part.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #10

OK Folks. The dust has settled on my AV redo, here’s what I've done for a grand.
▪️INTERNET...New Arris modem above steps next to awning cabinet. Next, 3TB Apple airport (had), same cab. In rebuilt rack, SoHo WiFi extender (bought used from friend).
▪️AV...replaced front TV with 2017 ICL that was a perfect fit! Decided not to replace the rear TV since I seldom use it so as not to disturb my puppy. I use my iPad Pro and ear phones to watch TV in bed. Installed a smart sound bar under the new TV for better sound than I could ever get from the 2005 “home theatre”. This smart sound bar has Bluetooth so I can stream music from my Apple PD's. Installed an Apple TV in the rack next to my dish network boxes. Have Verizon hotspots on my iPad and iPhone so I can stream Netflix, etc. from either device almost anywhere. Dumped all the old stuff (VCR, TV, etc.) to a place that recycles electronics to vets.

The net result is that I have a strong, wide-ranging Internet system, a strong computer network system, and a modern, flexible AV system...all for under a grand. The rack looks so good that I may not reinstall the plastic door that is cracking around the hinge holes. Found a great black plastic rack front at Home Depot ($6) that's cuttable with a mat knife and I coped the openings to closely fit the equipment (looks great!).

This is the end of this thread, hope this helps those who want to upgrade their Country Coache's old time electronics.

A few last things, I rigged a really short (12”) 6 outlet extension cord behind the rack and put it by the side vent. Into this, I plug the transformers so I can disable equipment quickly and easily. I ran 4 wire pulls from the modem cabinet to the rack to pull new wires if I need to. I chopped much of the grisly mes of wires out from behind the rack so the rack slides in and out easily. I also removed a lot of electronic components that appeared to have no function.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:25 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Pictures please.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote