RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #43

As an alternate to Silverleaf you can get a ScanGauge D that will plug in the diagnoise port. They run $160 on Amazon. It will display 4 parameters including turbo boost. The display is smaller then the Silverleaf and made for an easier installation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #44

A couple of folks have commented that this my be your exhaust brake. We had a similar situation this summer with our CAT-C9 400HP. Coached seemed sluggish, went down a long exit ramp with exhaust brake on, at bottom of ramp, could barely get across intersection..seemed like a potatoe in the tailpipe. Sure enough, the exhaust brake butterfly was stuck in the 3/4 position.

Found out that unless the unit is driven on a regular basis, it requires a specific lube from PacBrake. Easy to do especially if you have side radiator.

Cleared mine and all of the sudden the coach ran out 100% better than before, like a 400HP should.

This would be my first check before looking at CAC's and Turbos.

Build #52000, CAT C9 400HP.
2015 GMC Terrain Tow Vehicle
kandlwaddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #45

The Brake seems to be working ok on and off, does anybody have a picture on how to check or lube it? I should that no matter what.

So I took it into a shop that works on Trucks and motor homes (authorized Cummings repair shop) to get it checked out, the mechanic found three of my injectors with fuel around them, he thinks the loss of power is because of them leaking. They did not have the parts until next week. He says he is 85% sure that will fix the problem, anyone have this problem? It's a spendy trouble shoot
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
You will have to examine your exhaust system to find the installed PacBrake.

I found this explanation by a well respected RVer for you by using a Google Search engine........

http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index....ic,6857.0.html
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #47

Thanks Dean
Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
The Brake seems to be working ok on and off, does anybody have a picture on how to check or lube it? I should that no matter what.

So I took it into a shop that works on Trucks and motor homes (authorized Cummings repair shop) to get it checked out, the mechanic found three of my injectors with fuel around them, he thinks the loss of power is because of them leaking. They did not have the parts until next week. He says he is 85% sure that will fix the problem, anyone have this problem? It's a spendy trouble shoot
Did they hook up a computer to the engine? I'm thinking it should show the injectors or the cylinders that are not firing correctly to prove his diagnosis...
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 186,000 and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:03 AM   #49

No they did not.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #50

Quote:

I have a fleet of trucks about 40 both gasoline and diesel. Our experience on injectors with one or two we replace the bad injectors with three or more we do the complete set of six. To answer your question can this cause a power loss, yes it can. There may be more than just a leaking O ring. I would definitely run a scan on your engine and check all six. If you don’t you may be right back doing again.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
No they did not.

Leaking injectors are a “must fix immediately” in my book, so I say do that, and see what happens. If it fixes the issue, great; if not, you have addressed a serious fire risk and can continue the investigation. Best of luck on this!!
Mike
Old 10-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #52

Quote:

Chances are if the repair shop is going to replace the injector O-rings or fuel lines they will or already have taken off the dog house cover under your bed. The Pac Brake is mounted in the exhaust pipe directly behind the turbo. There is an air line coming from an electric solenoid that should be mounted on the front panel of the engine compartment. You can pull the wire connection apart and take a 12v jumper wire from your battery compartment and operate it manually (must have air pressure to do this). That way you can tell if it's opening and closing properly and lube it at the same time.

For me I would be somewhat leary that leaky injector O-rings or fuel lines would cause the engine to go from normal power on the way home from camp to no power the next time you drove it. But that's just my opinion, I'm not very trusting of most of repair facility's, especially since they did not hook it up to a diagnostic computer. JMHO Best of luck
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
Chances are if the repair shop is going to replace the injector O-rings or fuel lines they will or already have taken off the dog house cover under your bed. The Pac Brake is mounted in the exhaust pipe directly behind the turbo. There is an air line coming from an electric solenoid that should be mounted on the front panel of the engine compartment. You can pull the wire connection apart and take a 12v jumper wire from your battery compartment and operate it manually (must have air pressure to do this). That way you can tell if it's opening and closing properly and lube it at the same time.

For me I would be somewhat leary that leaky injector O-rings or fuel lines would cause the engine to go from normal power on the way home from camp to no power the next time you drove it. But that's just my opinion, I'm not very trusting of most of repair facility's, especially since they did not hook it up to a diagnostic computer. JMHO Best of luck

Agree, as a leaking O-ring would not typically go from no leak to huge leak. You should also have seen the evidence of the leaking fuel under the coach.

I can't believe the shop did not hook up to the computer and see what results that provided. Assuming that you changed both of the fuel and the air filters, it sure seems to be some mechanical issue. Like a closed exhaust brake, bad leak in charge air cooler or piping, or other like a turbo faillure. Mechanical would tend to be more of a sudden failure potentially.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel filters

Make sure you fill the new filters with clean fuel or starting can be a problem.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #55

I'd ask the shop why they didn't hook a computer to your rig to diagnose the problem. That would be the first step for most modern shops. Are they a Cummins dealer or just "work on Cummins"?
Leaking injectors could certainly be a cause of your problem but if their approach is going to be throw parts at it until they fix it you will have a big bill in a hurry.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #56

No power on hills

I had the same problem with mine, and I changed my air filter. My engine was starving to breath. Give it a try.

tomburden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power