Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 04:43 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=
The solenoid on the 2000 Intrigue is located above the chassis battery inside the compartment with the inverter. I have replaced that one 3 times in the last 18 1/2 years and that has fixed the same problem you are having.[/QUOTE]

Ray,

I’ve attached 3 pics of the area in the chassi battery bay compartment. There are 2 solenoids, a charger of some sort and the last pic I have no idea what it is. Any help would be appreciated in identifying which solenoid I need to change, what the item on the left side is and how to determine if the charger is working properly.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAF50098-67B4-473E-A88E-0171F7CA9770.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	215356   Click image for larger version

Name:	395673A8-7D8E-498B-895A-98FFA00E1E0B.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	215357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	F8EE9212-850F-4286-92F9-7F85C908BD01.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	215359  
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #16

Ours had a bigger and different solenoid set up, it was single not two. So here is what you do. Two things. If you have the key on have someone push the battery boost button and see if you can hear one of the solenoids click. The one clicking is the one for the connection of the two batteries. Or trace the wires from the echo charger. The echo charger is what supplies a trickle charge to your chassis batteries from the house batteries when the house batteries are being charged.

Echo charger:

Red wire with
Ground wire (black) to the negative battery ground.

Starter Battery wire (red with yellow trace) to the starter battery

positive (+ red) terminal. A 20 amp fuse in this line protects the wire.
House Battery wire (+ red) to the house battery bank positive (+ red)

terminal. A 20 amp fuse in this line protects the wire.

So follow the red wire to the solenoid it is connected to. That should be the solenoid that connects to the other battery bank thus allowing the house batteries to charge while driving. I will try to take a look at pics again, can't edit while writing this.

Also, our oil pressure switch was leaking and failing. I replaced our solenoid first and we still had intermittent charging issues while driving, to the house batteries that is. I then replaced the leaking oil pressure switch and that fixed our problem. Has been fine since.

Note: If and when you go to change solenoid disconnect the grounds from both battery banks to avoid any fireworks.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #17

I recently had the same problem of no house battery charging while driving my Baystar Sport. Turned out to be a 7.5amp fuse in the electrical box up high under the hood....the box with the clear plastic cover that contains the Bidirectional Relay and solenoid. The box contains many fuses but the one I found blown was in an inline holder tucked behind the other wires. I think it is part of the Boost switch circuit.
Turned out to be a cheap fix but finding the problem was the result of a lucky google search.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #18

Another way to determine which is which is to have unit unplugged so house batteries aren't charging. Apply a load to house for a little bit to get the battery voltage down and stabilized. Then start coach and let it run. Take a test meter and test the leads and see which leads have the higher voltage. 13.5 ish will indicate the chassis batteries charging from alternator while house batteries should be 12.5 ish.

You can tell if the echo charger is working this way. The echo charger only allows current to charge the chassis batteries when it detects a certain amount of voltage on house batteries. So when the rig has been plugged in and house batteries are fully charged check voltage on chassis batteries and they should show same higher voltage same as house batteries.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 08-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Black "solenoids" at the left are battery disconnects. Two at the bottom are isolation solenoids. Appears that there are two, perhaps in parallel, but one may be for something heavy duty. Both of them come from the same battery on their right lug, as you can see there is a jumper on them. Put a voltmeter on the small lugs, if there is 12 volts they are trying to connect. Try the boost switch and look for the 12 volts on the small wires. When they are firing, put the voltmeter across the heavy lugs and you should see less than .1 volts. If you see 12 or 13 and the solenoid is powered, it is bad.

The black box is a device to allow one bank to be charged by the other. With a working system, this is normally not required, so either there was a problem or the chassis was never designed to charge from the converter (shore power.)

You can also follow the leads from the black box as it has one for the house and one for the chassis.

It is strange since normally the solenoid only has one heavy duty connection on either side.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #20

The lower right solenoid is house disconnect. Large battery cable on one side and small gauge wires leading to house loads.

The lower center solenoid is boost solenoid. Large cables from both batteries for boost and isolation funtion.

Left solenoid probably starter motor, slave solenoid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The lower right solenoid is house disconnect. Large battery cable on one side and small gauge wires leading to house loads.

The lower center solenoid is boost solenoid. Large cables from both batteries for boost and isolation funtion.

Left solenoid probably starter motor, slave solenoid.
Of course, anything is possible, however, I have never seen powered solenoids used for disconnect purposes. More common are "trombetta" style, such as what looks to be the two on the upper left of the picture. Power them once and they turn on, power them again and they turn off, but unlike boost or starter solenoids, they draw no current in either state.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #22

Xdr
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #23

Thank you all! I’ll be out there tomorrow with my multi meeter and testing as per your detailed instructions! I’ll keep you posted.

BTW, there was a 7.5 amp fuse blown that comes from one of the colenoids. Interesting!
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:02 AM   #24

In reference to the black box. That wasn't added because something isn't working properly, that is how the coach came. Our coaches have the echo charger from the factory. That is how the chassis batteries are charged when plugged into shore power or gen power.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #25

I have two boost systems; one for engine start and one for generator start. Each system has a pair of solenoids for a total of four. I found it was easier to just replace all four solenoids with new and I even carry a couple spares since they are not too expensive and done take up much space.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 AM   #26
hrw

I don’t hear a clunk when I press the batt boost switch. Works well though in either direction. If house batteries are low and the gen needs a boost or on warm starts for the big engine. Press the reset buttons on your inverters and confirm charging switch is on in the silverleaf. (Not sure what model coach you have)
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries