Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 04:57 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
House Batteries not charging while driving.

I’m missing something. We have a Trace RV2012 and a RC7-GS remote module. The house batteries are not being charged with the engine’s alternator while we are under way. It used to...but I must have switched it off?

I’ve read both manuals and can’t find the setting if there is one.

Thanks!
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't switch it off, that functionality is not in the inverter/charger, it is in your battery control center and more than likely a bad fuse or solenoid switch. Do you have a battery boost switch that allows you to help start the coach with the house batteries? Do you hear a clunk when you press it. That is generally the same solenoid switch.

However, not being familiar with your coach, I will wait for someone who has one to respond.

But put down the trace manuals and look for a BCC, or something from Intellitec, RV Custom Products, Precision Circuits...etc.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

Time to test your boost solenoid. The boost connects the two system batteries together and is what is used to charge your house batteries going down the road. Normally, an oil pressure switch closes at 4 or 5 psi and activates the solenoid. The switch works by grounding one side of the coil terminals. The other coil terminal is hot all the time. Your boost switch does the same.

Locate the solenoid and with the engine off have someone toggle the boost switch and listen to hear if if clicks. If no click, then use a jumper and jump the non-12 volt side of the coil to ground. If it doesn't click it is probably a bad solenoid. If it clicks, then measure the voltage across the large terminals on the solenoid. One side is connected to the house batteries the other to the chassis batteries. If the solenoid is clicking with either the boost switch or the ground wire jumper and the voltage is zero, or very close to zero, then the oil pressure switch is probably bad. If the voltage is not equal then the solenoid is bad.

You can charge the house batteries when driving by connecting the positive side of house and chassis batteries with a heavy jumper. When mhy boost solenoid failed, I connected the batteries together through a heavy duty battery cut off switch so I could easily disconnect the batteries when parked and connected to shore power.

If it turns out to be the oil pressure switch you can just leave the boost switch on while driving. This switch is usually a momentary switch and you will have to find a way to block it on.

BTW. Post your coach year and model when asking questions. Just in case your question is specific to your model coach.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Time to test your boost solenoid. The boost connects the two system batteries together and is what is used to charge your house batteries going down the road. Normally, an oil pressure switch closes at 4 or 5 psi and activates the solenoid. The switch works by grounding one side of the coil terminals. The other coil terminal is hot all the time. Your boost switch does the same.

BTW. Post your coach year and model when asking questions. Just in case your question is specific to your model coach.
Thanks for this suggestion and detailed instructions! Very helpful! I’ll first set out trying to find the solenoid! Hope it is in the chassi battery bay...seems likely.

Oh, I guess I need to revamp my signature block to include Country Coach! SOrry. Again, thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
You didn't switch it off, that functionality is not in the inverter/charger, it is in your battery control center and more than likely a bad fuse or solenoid switch. Do you have a battery boost switch that allows you to help start the coach with the house batteries? Do you hear a clunk when you press it. That is generally the same solenoid switch.

However, not being familiar with your coach, I will wait for someone who has one to respond.

But put down the trace manuals and look for a BCC, or something from Intellitec, RV Custom Products, Precision Circuits...etc.
Scott, Thanks for that help! I would not have known that. I’ll start looking for the solenoid switch. Maybe it is in the bay with the chassi batteries? The house batteries are 15’ forward in another bay!
Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Be sure to test the solenoid with a multimeter as mentioned by phays. I’ve had two failed solenoids that we’re still making the clunking sounds but not working. With the blessing of CC I replaced all of mine with 200 amp continuous duty solenoids and also replaced the boost switch in the console with a toggle instead of a momentary switch. In my case I did it so I could just run the generator and flip with switch in case of an alternator failure. This has come in very handy on two separate occasions where my alternator failed.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently replaced mine with this one - although the same size, it's rated higher and hopefully will last a long time. So far so good!
Power Relay battery Isolator 500 Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5Q7846?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #8

I would suspect the battery isolator is more likely to be the problem than your boost solenoid/s.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I found the wire had fallen off the oil pressure switch under the coach. My guess is it got hit by something while driving, but reattached the wire and no problems in 3 years so far. Safe travels.

Jeff Thurston
2003/4 Intrigue 42ft Ovation
11630 400ISL
Old Dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #10

We had same issue and sometimes the boost button wouldn't work. So I replaced the solenoid first and it worked again sometimes, intermittently that is. Kind of what it was doing before although better. Then I had an oil leak from one of the sending units, a three wire sender on the passenger side of the block. I ordered the sender and replaced and bing bang booom, she is fixed. I did that last summer and she has been fine since. It's nice now when we have a crock pot going in the sink while traveling I am assured that my house batteries are being charged and my crock pot is singing along with us. Ha.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
[QUOTE=Gatesway;4330444]I’m missing something. We have a Trace RV2012 and a RC7-GS remote module. The house batteries are not being charged with the engine’s alternator while we are under way. It used to...but I must have switched it off?

I’ve read both manuals and can’t find the setting if there is one.

Thanks![/QUOTE

The solenoid on the 2000 Intrigue is located above the chassis battery inside the compartment with the inverter. I have replaced that one 3 times in the last 18 1/2 years and that has fixed the same problem you are having.

Ray
2000 CC Intrigue
Old 08-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFitz View Post
I recently replaced mine with this one - although the same size, it's rated higher and hopefully will last a long time. So far so good!
Power Relay battery Isolator 500 Amp... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I5Q7846?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
Does it bolt on the same as the OEM Eaton 200amp solenoid? That is a great find! Thanks for sharing. There are good things about the internet. Not sure they outweigh the evil.
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dinghy View Post
I found the wire had fallen off the oil pressure switch under the coach. My guess is it got hit by something while driving, but reattached the wire and no problems in 3 years so far. Safe travels.

Jeff Thurston
2003/4 Intrigue 42ft Ovation
11630 400ISL
Jeff, Where would I find the oil pressure switch?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 AM   #14

The oil pressure switch is on passenger side of block and I want to say towards the transmission. Our had three wires with quick push in connectors so you can easily disconnect wires and unscrew the sensor. I may have the part number at my shop or in rv. If you search this under country coach section you should get our thread on this and part number too. It may be under Cummins section also.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, house batteries