Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #1

House Battery Disconnect doesn't work

I have a 2002 Country Coach Affinity. I changed the house batteries a few months ago, and everything was fine.

A few weeks ago, the house battery disconnect switch began having a delay. It would take a few seconds to turn back on or I would have to press the switch more than once. This last weekend, the switch seems to have failed completely.

I went through the forums, and I have seen conversations about resetting the breakers. Suggestions? Could the switch actually be going bad? The previous owner told me that when I replaced the batteries I would need to check the fuse under the middle of the coach behind an access panel. When I changed the batteries, I check and everything seemed to be fine. I will check this again this weekend. I read in another forum about a Thor...has anyone with a Country Coach had this problem?
DaveWoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #2

The switch you push controls a solenoid near the batteries.

Have someone push the switch and listen for it clunking.

When you locate it, you can test it.

You will need a volt meter. If your equiped, I can explain the test.

If it tests bad, you can decide if you want to change it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:43 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Dave:

I had a faulty solenoid in our CC that is controlled by the same switch. While it maybe the switch, it's likely the solenoid. As this is an aircraft part it's expensive ($300.00). While I was waiting for CC to send me the part, I hot wired (Placed the red cable on the left on top of the red cable on the right (Same post) to confirm the failed part and to restore power to the coach. In the interim, the downside is the power is always on. So if you need to store the MH, then you need to separate the two red wires.

The solenoid in my MH is located in the center of the MH with the inverter. You must climb into the bay, remove a panel and then its immediately in front of you. Not easy to find, but once found, easy to replace. Good luck!
TonySheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Tony,

I found the solenoid in the center of the MH as you described The switch was not working when I started this weekend. I changed the oil and took the MH for a test drive. After this, the switch was working again. However, I want to replace the solenoid.

You mentioned it was a $300 part from CC. I did not know you could still get parts from Country Coach. Do you know how to contact them for parts? Do you know the part number for this part? Also, do you know any other places I might be able to buy the parts?

I appreciate your help on this. I also noticed there is the same solenoid above it that seems to be for the battery boost. In a pinch, you could probably switch these out. Did you have any problems switching out the solenoid? It's rather tight.

Dave
Architectural Woodwork and Design
Downers Grove, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySheri View Post
Dave:
I had a faulty solenoid in our CC that is controlled by the same switch. While it maybe the switch, it's likely the solenoid. As this is an aircraft part it's expensive ($300.00). While I was waiting for CC to send me the part, I hot wired (Placed the red cable on the left on top of the red cable on the right (Same post) to confirm the failed part and to restore power to the coach. In the interim, the downside is the power is always on. So if you need to store the MH, then you need to separate the two red wires.

The solenoid in my MH is located in the center of the MH with the inverter. You must climb into the bay, remove a panel and then its immediately in front of you. Not easy to find, but once found, easy to replace. Good luck!
DaveWoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Hi Dave:

Country Coach is now owned by Winnebago. They are located in Oregon at the same location as before, but do not yet produce new CC MHs. The parts department is alive and well! Jump on their website and you will see the phone number and email link. They will look up your MH and ship you the part directly in a few days. Easy breezy!

You can also get you MH history, just provide them the build number.

Tony.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #6

Dave:

Here is the link:

Country Coach Parts - OEM Parts from the Country Coach Factory | Winnebago - Country Coach
Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

I've not had to replace the battery disconnect solenoid but I would assume that a Cole Hersee 24213, 200 amp solenoid would suffice since that part of the circuit is protected by the 200 amp circuit breaker near the house batteries. On my coach, I've used this solenoid to replace the ignition solenoid. It costs about $45 from Boat And RV Accessories

Check the coil lead to ground and make sure it is secure. It is not unusual for these connections to be faulty. Also, if you replace the solenoid note the orientation of the diode that CC used on the coil leads.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same house battery solenoid fail on my Allure. I also used a jumper wire to restore power until I could replace the solenoid.

The OEM solenoid on mine was a Blue Sea which is a good one. CC wanted more than $300.00 for a replacement. I found it on Amazon for less than $150.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst.../dp/B000MMH2Y8
Old 10-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

I Like Kissling relays and though they are really expensive and hard to source in US they can be found new on ebay for less then $50.The last one a bought was 500amp.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

Nice job on the pricing! We were traveling and still a newbie when it comes to repairs and parts. Learning all of the time!! Thanks for the good advise.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect