RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

House battery switch question

I'm storing the Coach for two months, I'm plugged into 50amp, is there any reason to turn off the switch in the front of the coach marked battery disconnect or just leave it alone?

My only reason for the ask is if the power went out for a few days will it help? My Generator is set to start at low voltage and charge back up either way.

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
I'm storing the Coach for two months, I'm plugged into 50amp, is there any reason to turn off the switch in the front of the coach marked battery disconnect or just leave it alone?

My only reason for the ask is if the power went out for a few days will it help? My Generator is set to start at low voltage and charge back up either way.
I don't have the auto-start feature and I'm not sure if your coach is wired like mine, but if you turn off the battery switch, disconnecting the house batteries, then your generator will not start and, I assume will not start in the auto start mode either. If you are connected to power, the batteries will be kept fully charged with the switch ON, and if there is a power loss, the auto start will kick in the generator.

Others with the auto-start feature can confirm or correct the above.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #3

i'd turn the auto start feature off. if you lose shore power for days, even weeks, the batteries will stay charged and when power comes back on it will recharge the batteries back up to full.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

trust me you want auto start on when you paid $1300. for new AGM lifeline house batteries and if they drain to dead that can damage to no return.

I would rather have the Gen start and charge them back up then go dead, there is always a small drain on house batteries.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #5

When our coach is not in use, we're have it plugged into a 20A outlet, with a good 12GA extension cord (Short run, of 15', and we use it vs the thicker shore power cord, as it is easier to have the 15' extension run to the outlet.). We leave both the main chassis battery switch, and inside the front door salesman switch - in the On position. We also keep our Samsung RF18 powered up, and keep many items in the fridge and freezer.

We leave our MS2812 Inverter on 7/24, even while the coach is not in use. We also have 1200W of Solar, and leave the Solar Controller on while the coach is not in use. But due to our parking location, between two homes tall homes, we are shadowed so much of the day, that solar is not enough to keep the batteries topped off, while also providing Inverter power the coach during power failure. And for a few different reasons, I turn the AGS off, while it is parked not in use. (Mostly due to a neighbor, that was not happy to have diesel smells come into his house. So we keep peace by turning off AGS.)

So, if we have a power outage, we want to know - as we do not want our X's 4 L16's Lifeline's drained...

We installed the iSocket3g to send me a text, when power goes off. We have one outlet ran on the non inverter side of the Circuit Breakers, so when power does go off, we get the text.

https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

So far this has been working well fo Rusty. A plus, is if we're out from the coach during the day, we also are notified of power outages in the park. And we do have AGS On while using the coach. A side benefit, is I can send a request to report the temperature of the iSocket3g, which is in our rear bedroom closet (Where we ran the non inverter supplied outlet too.) - so we can monitor coach temperature for out Dog too.

Best of luck to you, and all,
Smitty
04 Allure 31017
Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Minimizing power consumption will help mitigate battery discharge damage in the case of power fail. Whether that power is coming from shire or AGS/generator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #7

I assume its stored outside? i had mine in closed storage and forgot to turn off auto gen and the breaker tripped in the space and the gen ran on and off for two weeks. Stunk up the coach pretty good.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

Good point it is in a 40x60 shop inclosed, since my rig is the only coach in there I thought if the Gen kicks on to charge the battery, the smoke would dissipate but it sounds like you have experience on this so I will shut gen start off.

Anybody have experience with this?

Tags
battery, switch