Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #1

How can I avoid winterizing my Allure 2005 coach

I have it in a pole barn but I only have 15 amp service I have aqua hot and I want to use it in the winter. I know the aqua hot prevents me from blowing the water out with air and I have a washer dryer combo.

Anybody have any tricks? I thought about putting lite bulbs in all the compartments like the drain station, fridge and aqua hot compartment but what about the washer near the back, fresh water tank, holding tank and all the other lines?

Thanks in advance Shawn

Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #2

Shawn
I always ask myself, "If what I'm doing to save the time or the money is worth the expense of a big repair". While a light bulb will keep an area free from freezing. What if the light bulb were to burn out on a very cold night? What if there were a power failure and everything failed. I personally wouldn't want to take that chance. IMHO i would just winterize it and sleep well at night.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

I agree with TonyDi. But you don't say in what part the of the country you live in. If I lived in a part that the winters were extremely cold I would winterized it completely. I happen to live in the PNW and close to the water so I don't get much freezing days. I am just able to drain all areas and when I get cold weather I put a small heater inside to keep it from freezing. If I lived in Eastern Washington I would do a full winterization.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am in E TX so freezing is not a frequent concern for us. But in that situation with my coach, I would use lp furnace (or aqua hot if I had it) set at 40-45, and/or light bulbs in key locations if temps would be below mid-20's for several nights. If you are concerned about a bulb burning out, use two. If temps are below freezing most nights and/or days, the only options I see are paying for lp or diesel for the furnaces or aqua hot, or heated inside storage, or winterizing. When living in VA with open storage and no power, I sometimes winterized/de-winterized a couple of times. And we also used the coach some when fully winterized by carrying bottled water and keeping gallon jugs of water (filled from hydrant or bathhouse tap) in the bathroom to be used for flushing. We then dumped the tanks and put antifreeze in the taps before parking the rig back in storage.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks good stuff, I live in Salem Oregon so it only gets cold a few days in the winter maybe a week at the worst. I have a back up generator for a power outage I live in the woods. It just seems extreme to put in the pink stuff with a aqua hot tank for a few days then flush it back out.

I left the aqua hot on electric last night and it did not pop the fuse so the draw with the 750 watt heater and aqua hot electric on worked I'm more worried about the outside stuff
Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If you are that worried,you could run the coach over to Junction City and store it inside at Premier.

Me, I would set the heater to 50 and let it run. 15 amps is enough to keep the batteries topped off.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssgritton View Post
Thanks good stuff, I live in Salem Oregon so it only gets cold a few days in the winter maybe a week at the worst. I have a back up generator for a power outage I live in the woods. It just seems extreme to put in the pink stuff with a aqua hot tank for a few days then flush it back out.

I left the aqua hot on electric last night and it did not pop the fuse so the draw with the 750 watt heater and aqua hot electric on worked I'm more worried about the outside stuff
what about taking a week vacation in cal? when you see the whether drops and forecast confirms that, drive south for couple hundred miles you will not need to worry about winterizing
Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #8

If you have a gas/electric refrigerator, a trouble spot in freezing weather is the back of the refrigerator, where water lines for the ice maker are exposed if not insulated properly.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Aqua hot water is for your showers and baths.
The fluid in system is already protected and if you run the heater it may already supply heat to your tank areas---shows heat sensor and heat registers.
Some refrigerators water lines have electric cable wrap around the water lines.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Options:
Go somewhere warm
Run a new 30 or 50 amp service out to your pole barn
Go somewhere warm
Insulate the pole barn and put a heater in.
Go somewhere warm.
Move it to heated storage when it's going to get cold
Go somewhere warm
Get it winterized
Go somewhere warm
Install a remote thermometer that will let you know when it's getting too cold (38 degrees +-) then go start it up and let it idle for a few hours.
Go somewhere warm
Put a wood stove in the pole barn and heat it up with that
Go somewhere warm
Put a propane salamander type heater in the pole barn set it on a thermostat to run when it gets below 38 degrees.
Go somewhere warm
Plug in a few heat lamps in outside the buss so they shine of areas of concern (might have a negative effect on the finish)
Go somewhere warm
Or finally pull it out of the barn and go live in it when it's cold with all the systems for power and heat running and as long as you're moved into when it's cold you may as well go somewhere warm
Good luck
Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you increase the power size to feed the motor home make sure you use correct outlet and wired correctly. if not stand the chance of blowing out all your electronics in coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #12

Ok this is what I ended up doing. I winterized with the pink stuff. I found it easy to just pump it into the water tank useing a drill pump after I drained the water and then just turn things on until it comes out. This was a one man show so it made it easy plus I have the pink stuff in the water tank just in case. I do like the fact that I can drain what I don't use back into the jugs in spring.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
what about taking a week vacation in cal? when you see the whether drops and forecast confirms that, drive south for couple hundred miles you will not need to worry about winterizing
Right now California is experiencing the cold front that just passed thru Oregon and Washington so that won't do, you may have to go all the way to Mexico!!! Or keep doing what your doing already...
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I have 10 gallons of the pink stuff sitting in my basement. We have a trip planned over Christmas and thru New Year so I won't 'winterize' until early January when we get back. I have 50amp service for the coach here at home and have left the AH (electric and diesel burner on) and put a 75watt bulb near the water pump. T stat set on 50F. I know I'm using some diesel fuel but at this point, I may just continue this strategy and forgo the pink stuff since we plan to use the coach in March.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter