Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

How can I stop this horrendous entry door squeaking?

It's a very loud chatter caused by the entry door or screen rubbing on the door opening when on well traveled roads. I've used Miracle Oil, dry silicons and am presently using WD-40 but all these are so messy. Short of driving with headsets or earplugs, any suggestions?

aaamarine
2005 Allure 430 Hood River #31125 tag axle
aaamarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you tried tightening the door?
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Door Rattle?

If you can rattle the door with the handle you may be able to adjust the deadbolt retainer (the metal around the hole that the deadbolt locks into). You may have to pull/push harder to close the door but it will reduce the movement.

Also try weatherstrip insulation. 1/4 inch thick, 1/2 to 3/4 wide. Apply between door and wall, top, sides, and bottom. Can be on the door or the wall. Again, enough to stop the rattle but allow the door to close and lock.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #4

I know this sounds crazy but it worked for me. Take electrical tape and wrap it around the round striker post. About 3 times. My door has not made any noise for a couple of years now.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
I know this sounds crazy but it worked for me. Take electrical tape and wrap it around the round striker post. About 3 times. My door has not made any noise for a couple of years now.
X's2! That noise about drove me nuts and the dealer couldn't fix it, so I searched iRV2 threads and saw the electrical tape solution. It worked for me right away (thanks iRV2!). The tape just needs to be replaced every month or so. BTW, I use black Gorilla Tape as it's sturdier than electrical tape.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #6

Try the pass seat! My DW thought the door was squeeking untell she got up to get a soft drink and the noise stopped! Found the rotate latch was squeeking and a little lube, no more squeeking!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
I had to do the same exact thing. Have to replace the tape every so often when it gets worn through.

I tried adjusting the striker post and tightening all the screws in the door frame. That's when I discovered Monaco used three different type of screws with unique heads to attach the door. Oh well, more tools in my kit now.

But the tape cures the problem.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #8

squeaking door

Some door posts come with a nylon rap to stop the squeak. They are split and snap over the post
Dues Paid
dues paid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dues paid View Post
Some door posts come with a nylon rap to stop the squeak. They are split and snap over the post
Dues Paid
I looked for some of those and couldn't find them. They would be great.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaamarine View Post
It's a very loud chatter caused by the entry door or screen rubbing on the door opening when on well traveled roads. I've used Miracle Oil, dry silicons and am presently using WD-40 but all these are so messy. Short of driving with headsets or earplugs, any suggestions?

aaamarine
I have found that some squeaks and rattles sound like they are coming from one place and turn out to coming from somewhere else. Follow everyone's suggestions here and then look for other sources for the squeaks and rattles different from where it sounds like it is coming from. Also make sure to apply silicone on your step on any moving parts. I found this area to cause a lot of squeaks. Good luck
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaamarine View Post

aaamarine
Unlike our previous coach, the entry door on the Allure is quiet. However, we did have an intermittent squeak/groaning sound whenever we hit a dip in the road and the coach bounced. I thought it was a dry slide seal and lubed all of them to no avail. Another CC owner suggested it was dry rubber bushings in the suspension and to spray every bushing I could find under the coach with RuGlyde or WD40. I had some silicone so I gave the bushings a good shot of that and we are now driving in as much silence as I've ever had in any motorhome. No squeaks, no groaning just an occasional rumble when we drive over rough pavement.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #12

The tape works for us! We have a sort of metalic clanging coming from behind the concertina curtain directly behind the passenger seat which covers the slide when it is in. Why there is a curtain on this side and not the other I do not know, but I am loathe to release the screws as I am concerned about the strings that support the curtain. Has anyone removed this curtain and what is behind?
Michael
2008 Allure 31683
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Michael, we don't have any clanging when in motion from that slide (galley slide) but it creaks and groans loudly whenever it is deployed or retracted. It works fine but it really makes a racket when it is moved.

I've also pondered releasing that pleated curtain to see what I can see that might need lubricating but have decided to leave it until I retire in early 2014 and we can get out to Junction City and let CC check it out.

Gary
Old 09-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #14

I found that if you close the screen door separately from the main door most rattles go away.

Tags
door