Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
Electric heaters -1500watt will drain your batteries extremely fast. 120 amp pull on your batteries. So you really need to run a generator or shore power to run a electric heaters. That's why we use propane or diesel( aqua heaters ) fuel for heat.

Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #16

Originally Posted by airduds View Post
We have almost new 2 8D deep cycle house batteries and I will program the silverleaf to to start the gen if power is lost and the batteries draw down too far. But what is this I've heard about not letting heaters run off the inverter? Hooked to shore power I can turn my inverter off and let the heaters run straight through but if I do that they won't be powered if the shore power goes down. Maybe I'm over-analyzing. Cold weather is new to me.
The issue really is a small relay which will "pass-thru" shore or generator power (if present). When the shore
or generator power cuts off, the relay lets the inverter start supplying 120 vac to the outlets using batteries.

Some people have found a very high wattage appliance placed too great a load over time on this
relay, causing it to fail prematurely. Too many variables here to say this is a hard and fast rule. They
might have had older and/or lesser quality equipment. The inverter might have been only a 1500 watt
Unit, which would mean it was operating at 100% capacity- with no margin of error. Who knows ?

I would suggest that when running an electric space heater, you always run it at less than full power.
Many heaters can be switched to only use 750 or 1000 watts instead of the full 1500. I submit to you
that if you do this, there is much less worry. If you have a very large inverter, say something like a 2800
watt unit that is becoming more common these days, you also should have no worries.

And remember, your original question was asking about backup scenarios "should" your main
Hydronic heater fail. So in this situation, the electric space heater is just a fall-back option, and not
something that needs to run at full power 24x7. I would not worry. Set the space heater thermostat
5 or 10 degrees colder than the main thermostat. Program the generator for auto start. Now if the
main heater fails, the space heater takes over. If shore power fails, the generator will power the space
heater. Double redundancy.

pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #17
Have to remember there are a lot of dogs living outdoors in this country that only have a dog house. Of course sounds like one of your dogs is quite old. You probably won't experience those extreme sub zero temps during the day very often. I'm thinking your pets would do fine even if the heater goes off if you are coming home every night especially if they like to snuggle!
Ken Boerman
2000 Country Coach Allure
Maxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
Originally Posted by Maxout View Post
What kind of pets do you have. Many breeds of dogs would be fine at zero degrees inside MH especially if they are in smaller carrier that they can warm with body heat.
No dog should be left in an unheated space at zero degrees unless they have been living outside and developed a winter coat. Even if they have a winter coat most should be brought into a heated space when temperatures get down to zero. What do the dogs do when they have to go during a 10 hour absence? Please have someone look in on your dogs at least once during the time you are away and let them out to do their business and check on the heat in you MH while your gone. This will give you peace of mind during your absence.
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
We bought one of the devices that was recommended above. It will send us emails on the temperature inside the coach. We will only be 10 min away.

2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote