Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

How Much Do You guys Shut Off When Stored?

When I get back from a trip I just plug it in and unplug when I go on another trip. Today I went to start gen and it didn't start and silverleaf said communication error. I shut of bat disconnect to shut everything down and after turning back on gen worked fine. Got me thinking . Do you guys shut off batteries while stored? How much do you shut down?
Rod
08 magna

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We get out usually once a month or more often, year round. Between trips I turn off the refrigerator, water pump, water heater, and lights. No battery disconnects or switches are changed. The propane is turned off at the tank. Solar panels provide for battery charging. Slides are usually in and jacks down. Typically 2-3 days before a trip I run my preflight checklist to ensure all is working as it should, fluids and tires are ok, exercise the generator, etc. And turn on the refrigerator. The day before heading out we load food, clothing, etc.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have installed 50amp service where I park my rig at home so I don't really shut much off. I have the TrikLCharge which keeps the chassis batteries charged. I shut off the Aqua Hot unless the weather is cold and I leave it on to keep things from freezing up. Sounds like you had some sort of gremlin.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #4

I have the coach plugged into 50 amps. The only things I turn off are the water pump, and the water heater. I leave the residential refer running now as it draws less than half of the electrical power of the old Dometic
Old 06-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Between trips during the summer: Propane and hot water heater get shut down. Lights, radio, TV, etc., are off, just like going to bed at night. Inverter stays on. Fridge stays on. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #6

Shut down the following:

refer defrost and clean
hot water heat
water pump
chassis master switch
house master switch

1 solar panel on the roof keeps everything up.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #7

I turn off everything. This includes making sure both inverters are off. I turn off both chassis and house batteries. Open fridge doors. I have solar which keeps batteries fully charged. I do not plug in as not needed. Why do you need things like fridges to run when you are not using the coach?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

"Why do you need things like fridges to run when you are not using the coach?"

I tinker with my coach when it is on our lot. When I want a cold beer, I have it.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Why do you need things like fridges to run when you are not using the coach?
Keeping it running keeps it from stinking as well. I HATE that musty stale smell when a refrigerator/freezer has been used, and is shut off. Yes I know there is baking soda, but it is never quite the same.

Plus we tend to leave things in it, like the half used bottle of ketchup, BBQ sauce, drinks etc. The Samsung 197 SIPS energy, so the cost is minimal for the ease and convenience.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

I just bought an 04 Allure 40' and was getting ready to place in storage for another NY winter and noticed a few of you had mentioned using solar panels for maintaining a charge. Any specifics on these solar chargers and where can I get one?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljsz View Post
I just bought an 04 Allure 40' and was getting ready to place in storage for another NY winter and noticed a few of you had mentioned using solar panels for maintaining a charge. Any specifics on these solar chargers and where can I get one?

Are you the DIY type ? If you are you can do the project yourself.

If not, you have two choices.

1.). Pay for a solar system to be installed.

2.). Get a portable solar and either place it on the dashboard (so it gets sunlight through the windshield). Or place the portable panels on the ground and hook the cables to the batteries
using alligator clips.

If you want to do 1.) A 100 watt panel is perfect for storage....no need to pay for any more.
http://amsolar.com is a well respected company

If you put the solar panels inside the RV, the sunlight is diminished greatly coming through the windshield, so power output is not great.

Here is one of the portable options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411049845.430335.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	74177
Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
"Why do you need things like fridges to run when you are not using the coach?"

I tinker with my coach when it is on our lot. When I want a cold beer, I have it.
Very good reason to leave it on.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

We park it next to our garage where it gets pretty full blast of sun from around 9:30AM to 1:30PM. The front cap, is in the sun for the full day. (We have it facing South, parked right up next to garage with a unit above it, so two stories of shade. Our neighbor to the East is on a raised lot, also with a two story house. These two homes provide early AM shade, and afternoon shade, except for the front cap.) We are long the coast in San Diego, but it still gets warm inside that coach during the day. So what we do is:

-Leave bathroom and kitchen windows cracked about 1-2"
-Both roof vents open, with the front one having a cover over it
-Turn off the fridge, clean it, and leave the doors cracked
-Turn off the LP Leak Detector, but do not turn off the valve at the tank. (Can't open the basement door where it is parked, and if we need the fridge or LP in an emergency, I want to be able to turn it on without moving the coach.)
-Inverter is off. We usually turn it off most of the time, out of habit, turning it on when needed. We tested leaving it on for several days on a recent trip, and no problem doing so as far as battery draw, so we may change our habit to 'leaving it on' while on a trip.
-Due to wanting to be sure the Fantastic Fans can auto close from moisture if needed, we do not turn off the battery.
-Windshield drapes closed, shades down, front tires covered (back and tag are in shade 95% of the time).
-Water pump off

We no longer plug in, as the Solar Panels keep everything topped off battery wise.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 09-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #14

Mine is garaged and plugged into 50amps, but I shut everything down. Biggest thing I question is how well the Xantrex inverter really does at maintaining the house and chassis batteries. I'm due for some battery love time, so I'll see just what kind of shape they are in after 6 months.