Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

How to adjust rear airbags?

My rear airbags appear to have too little resistance - coach bounces multiple times even with a little bump or a dip. If this happens in a car, I know replacing the shocks will do. I heard an adjustment can be done to all CC 2000 and onward for this issue. Have anyone run into this and know how to adjust it? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #2

I think you had the right answer to start with, don't know mine is an 06 and looking at new shocks with just 19k on it
Road king shock absorbers for motor homes and RVs
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine floats more than I'd like in the front. My research reveals that after National RV bought CC they started using Koni FSD shocks which are apparently not up to the weight of many of the CC's. In fact, when I talked to Koni in Kentucky about replacement shocks, they told me the FSD's were not the best option for a coach with a 14K+ GAWR on the steer axle. I ordered their SP3 adjustable shocks for the front and will set them at the firm setting.

My coach also has FSD's on the rear axles so I suspect I will be replacing them at some point. My floating/bouncing is in the front only.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

I have a 40ft '02 Intrigue and have no bounce in the rear. The first thing I would do is to make sure your ride height is set correctly all the way around. There are 2 valves in the rear and one in the front. I have found that ride height is pretty critical on the 278" wheel base.

I have installed Road King shocks and they made a huge difference. Had the original red Koni adjustable set on the firmest setting, then went to the FSD and finally wised up and went Road King.

The FSD is the worst shock you can put on a CC.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I have a 40ft '02 Intrigue and have no bounce in the rear. The first thing I would do is to make sure your ride height is set correctly all the way around. There are 2 valves in the rear and one in the front. I have found that ride height is pretty critical on the 278" wheel base.

I have installed Road King shocks and they made a huge difference. Had the original red Koni adjustable set on the firmest setting, then went to the FSD and finally wised up and went Road King.

The FSD is the worst shock you can put on a CC.
How long ago did you have adjustable Koni's? According to Koni, their newest version of adjustable shock, the SP3, is firm enough for my coach. In fact, they suggested I adjust one notch back from the most firm setting.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Thank you all for your inputs... I called a shop in oregon a few months ago the rep did mention that mine has koni shocks ... hmm, is it a diy type of job? Been lying on my back under the engine area but couldn't recognize shocks or something resembling that. Any instructions or write-ups out there?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I replaced shocks on my rig, not hard to do. I did use a 1" ratcheting tie down strap to compress the shock to fit it on the bolts. I did all 4 in less than an hour.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
My rear airbags appear to have too little resistance - coach bounces multiple times even with a little bump or a dip. If this happens in a car, I know replacing the shocks will do. I heard an adjustment can be done to all CC 2000 and onward for this issue. Have anyone run into this and know how to adjust it? Thanks.
2000 had the height control valve recall. Has this been performed. The shocks are Koni and have 5 positions. They were shipped from the factory at number 2 setting. Meaning three more in the tightening position. I have done this job at least 30 times.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I replaced shocks on my rig, not hard to do. I did use a 1" ratcheting tie down strap to compress the shock to fit it on the bolts. I did all 4 in less than an hour.
good to know it's diyable... i'd do more research on it. considering its size and weight, i'd make sure safety first.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollocat View Post
2000 had the height control valve recall. Has this been performed. The shocks are Koni and have 5 positions. They were shipped from the factory at number 2 setting. Meaning three more in the tightening position. I have done this job at least 30 times.
Great info... Flipped through the files from previous owner, I didn't see evidence of the recall being done. However, there were records related to height adjustments on 02/2008 about 20kmi ago from a coach service co:

1) Checked ride height in front suspension and found low. Found bag height at 8 inches and should be at 9 inches. Adjusted ride height to factory specs; Checked rear and found too low as well. Found rear at 9 inches and factory spec is 10 13/16 inches. Raised to factory specs.

2) Checked rear shocks and found no indication of worn out parts. Would recommend not replacing them at this time.

5 years have past since I am not sure the heights are low or not now, is there a way to measure it? Since the old CCC was out I think the new CCC is not in the position to honor the recall, so I'll get it replaced if need be. I am interested in knowing the procedure on changing the koni settings, assuming it's not too hard. Appreciate it if you could elaborate more, such as what to look for, how the #s are indicated, etc.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Great info... Flipped through the files from previous owner, I didn't see evidence of the recall being done. However, there were records related to height adjustments on 02/2008 about 20kmi ago from a coach service co:

1) Checked ride height in front suspension and found low. Found bag height at 8 inches and should be at 9 inches. Adjusted ride height to factory specs; Checked rear and found too low as well. Found rear at 9 inches and factory spec is 10 13/16 inches. Raised to factory specs.

2) Checked rear shocks and found no indication of worn out parts. Would recommend not replacing them at this time.

5 years have been past since I am not sure the heights are low or not now, is there a way to measure it? Since the old CC was out I think the new CC is not in the position to honor the recall, so I'll get it replaced if need be. I am interested in knowing the procedure on changing the koni settings, assuming it's not too hard. Appreciate it if you can elaborate more, such as what to look for, how the #s are indicated, etc.
To adjust a Koni adjustable shock, you have to fully compress the shock and rotate the top of the shock clockwise. I believe every 1/4 turn is one 'setting.' Once you reach the desired setting, extend the shock a bit to disengage the adjuster. I have Koni SP3's to install on the front of my Allure and I wanted to use their most firm setting. They advised me not to suggesting I adjust it fully clockwise, then back off 1/4 turn.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ride height is measured between two points, one on the frame, one on the axle or suspension, you'll have to check with the chassis manufacturer for exact instructions. On the Koni adjustable shocks, this video shows how:

how to adjust the KONI adjustable shock - YouTube

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #13

Big thanks Bob. This is very informational I'll try to adjust koni first, and may need to call CCC for height thing. The new CCC is very good on customer support.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #14

You can adjust the ride height of your air bags just go to your books to figure out what it's suppose to be. But if you're kind of bouncing and floating around it's probably your shocks. If you're planning on keeping your coach for awhile you might consider Road King shocks. I put them on my coach and they are great.
Good luck