Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
How to Maintain Exterior

I just bought a 2000 Country Coach Allure 40' (model# 30591) and wanted to get input on how others have dealt with polishing/waxing the exterior and the roof. My understanding is that this model has gelcoat along with a clear coat finish. I don't want to screw it up so thought I would check what others are doing that works well.

cthowards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
In looking at your picture, I can see that the bay doors are painted and the upper body is gelcoat and accent stripes painted. The whole coach is clear coated. I use regular auto wash soap and a soft brush and dry with micro fiber cloths and a chamois. For everyday clean up, I use a product called "The Solution".

dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
I have mine waxed once a year before the summer trip. Between that I just get it washed before I pick it up. They use a little standard car wash soap.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
The steps I follow:

-Full wash roof down, Dawn as it has alkaline that will cut wax and grime.
-Spot clean as needed with tar removal, and medium down to fine rubbing compound
-Wash those spots again, to get clean
-Examine the gel coat. If it is dull, but not real bad, then try a 'all in one' type cleaner and wax compo. I've had good luck with Zaino AO1 on our first Bounder, bringing it back. Watch for decals if you have them. This can be done by hand, but if you feel you need the extra cleaner/light polish 'all in one', might be time to rent or buy a orbital buffer, as it makes the job easier.
-If real bad, then come back and do some searches on Poly Glow.
-If all looks OK on the gel coat, then I have been going back and forth between two different products (testing my old tried and true Zaino ZCS, against Eagle One's Nano Wax/Sealant - so far both are holding up about the same.) I like Zaino ZCS, as it is a one step process. Just apply and walk away. I use it on all windows, as this stuff is like Rain X on steroids. I jokingly call it 'Wax on, No Wax Off'...
-I used Zaino Z8 for touch up on the road. When bad, I use Griots waterless cleaner, then go over it gain with ZCS of Eagle One's Nano.

One more comment on ZCS, it has one of the best UV protectors I've seen in a product. When you add that to how easy it is to apply, it made it a simple decision for me. (Plus I've used other Zaino products on our cars and trucks for over 10 years now.). The only reason I'm checking out the Nano from Eagle One, is a good friend said 'It is the best, Nano in general, as things do change.' So, I'm doing the year test to see... (So far, they both look good on the shine front, and both seem to be as easy to put on, with the Eagle One being a wipe on/wipe off, so one more step. (Not like real wax, where you have to wait for it dry, I just keep one hand going with the spray and application, and the other going with the dry cloth wipe off. Yes more work, but not major.) They so far both seem to hold up about the same, from what I can see. I do not know, or recall, the UV protection in the Eagle One. Over time, UV will have impact.

Mid year, I wash with Zaino car wash using a water softener for spot free as possible. I never let the water dry, and have several 100% cotton beach towels for RV drying only. I repeat the Dawn wash once a year, at and this is when I'm also inspecting for calk, and any other areas that may need attention. This process keeps me in tune with the condition of the coaches I've owned, and gets me up off my behind. Though, I admit what I used to do in four to six hours, now seems to be a full day opportunity!

Last tip, be careful up on the roof!! And, I must admit, I sure like the way Bob does it, helping the economy along the way!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Thanks for all the input. Today I went and bought a Dewalt buffer, some polishing compound, wax, foam buffer pads and other supplies and got started. What a job this is! I have alot more polishing to do tomorrow before I start waxing. I'm using a finish polish made by Presta with a foam pad and a buffer. It is working awesome, really cleaning up the surface, removing scratches, and leaving a shiny smooth finish. It looks great. The next step will be a coat of Presta wax. This is a huge effort, way harder than I thought!
cthowards is offline   Reply With Quote