RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

How to remove front heat exchanger?

Our Country Coach Allure 470 had the fan motor for the front heat exchanger (of the Aqua Hot system) fail yesterday. Since it is below freezing where we are and we are heading back toward Michigan for the holidays, Iím trying to replace the fans. My problem is that I canít figure out how to access the heat exchanger which is directly above the floor vent shown in the picture.

One idea is to remove the top of the dash and access the heat exchanger from above. Is that possible without totally dismantling everything?

Would it be possible to remove the molding (with the vent and the air conditioner vents) and access it from the front? I thought that might be the way to go so I removed all the screws I could find, plus removed the caulk along the floor. But there may be at least one fastener that I canít access on the floor.

Has anyone replaced the heat exchanger behind the dash before? Any help you can provide in helping me do this would be appreciated.

The other option is to bring it to Elkhart, IN and have a company there fix this. If anyone has a suggested place to have this done, that would be appreciated as well.

Attached is a picture of the dash area. The vent for the heat is in the lower right just above the step. The heat exchanger is above the vent, about 4 or 5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	266690  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

It's different of course, but on my Magna the vertical panel above where your heat exchanger is is removable.

Rich 2002 Magna

birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Community Moderator

I assume the front panel has to be removeable, definitely not to touch the dash. On our rig, there is an access panel about 16" x 12" in front of co-pilot chair, once it's removed the heat exchanger is right there, along with HWH control module to its right hand side. Focus on how to remove the vertical panel! Or wait someone must have done it.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

I have the same dash and have given it a shot at trying to decode the way to remove the front or top to get in there, but haven't been successful yet. I'll be watching this thread to, hopefully, learn the correct method. I did repair a fan motor for my bedroom heat exchanger and was successful. It's a 12 volt DC motor with brushes. The brushes were fine but the commutator was wearing down so I cut the insulator grooves deeper between the commutator contacts and the motor is now working great. The go-to replacement is the Cozy III heat exchanger. It has brushless motors that should last a long time and are also quieter. Here's an example of one: https://hydronicheatingwarehouse.com...heat-exchanger

Or here:
https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterre...XE-103-0EX.htm
Old 11-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

I don't think an 8,000 BTU heat exchanger is adequate for the front/dash unit. For context, I believe that your dash HVAC heat exchanger is 42,000 BTUs. I don't think you need this much for your hydronic unit, maybe 20,000 would be adequate. The reason the Cozy is quieter is because it moves far less air across the heat exchanger than the OEM device.

Of course if you're never in cold weather the 8,000 BTU may work for you.
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

I have 5 heat exchangers in my coach so all together they will put out 48,000 BTU's + 8,000 for hot water + 8,000 for engine pre-heat and that's all of the 65,000 BTU's of my Aqua Hot 525D. I've never seen specs for the original squirrel cage blower and heat exchanger that was OEM.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Allure heat exchanger

My previous coach was an 07 Allure, and years ago i had the same problem - The repair news is not good.

You have to remove the entire dash and cut a access hole through the steel plate to get through to the heater unit. Lots of labor and fabrication costs.

Premier did the work on my coach and it was expensive and was a big project. It all turned out fine, but Gary's comment was "...the factory sure screwed up on this as there is absolutely no access for repair without cutting a hole in the dash structure..." (This is the structure under the padded dash covering)

I would suggest you call Gary at Premier and discuss your problem and he can describe what you will have to have done to make the repair. I believe, several years ago, my repair was the first one they had done of this type. I sure they have now encountered this several times, and may have developed a quicker or simpler approach.

Then you will need to find someone in the midwest that's willing to take on the project. It'll take a few days for the work as they will have to fabricate a new cover for the hole they have to cut, plus get the necessary parts.

I already feel your pain, as I've been there......

Bill
08 Affinity, 600 Cummins
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee
07 Club Car
12 Electric Mountain Bike
Past CC's: 02 Allure 32; 05 Inspire 36; 07 Allure 42
Willee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #8

Wondering the name of the person that designed the coach
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies... especially Willee who basically gave voice to my worst nightmare. I just couldn't see a way to get at this exchanger. I have a place in Elkhart... Master Tech RV... who said they can do this. I just don't think they know exactly what this coach is built like.

I'll call Premier and see what they have to say.

Right now, I have a ceramic heater working in the front part of the coach to keep it warm and the rear of the coach still is working with the Aqua Hot. So my wet bay is still ok from freezing.

Rick
Old 11-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Wondering the name of the person that designed the coach
Me too. CC didn't design it from blue; they had had models with access panel removeable why suddenly they made it not? I could only spin my head

CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat