Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hurricane Heater Issues Prevalent?

We are looking to downsize from our 2007 42' Allegro Bus, and I've been a long time fan of CC. After reading here a bit, I am concerned about the reliability of the Hurricane heaters in the older models. I know the Aquahot in our bus required a bit of maintenance--and I saw a lot of other owners having issues, but it worked fantastically most of the time. Is the Hurricane especially problematic?

We are looking specifically at the 36' models in the 2002-2004 timeframe, which I believes spans the time when the Hurricane was dropped for the Hydro(Aqua)hot. system in a couple of models.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have an '02 with the Hurricane in it, It only heats the coach and does not supply hot water. The '03 models still had a Hurricane but CC added the larger model which did supply hot water. They changed in '04 to another unit.

I use mine only when we head south and it works fine. The only parts I have replaced besides the fuel filter are the nozzle and a fuel pump.

The Hurricane is a very simple unit to operate and to troubleshoot if you do have problems. Support for the unit is very good.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

Fuel filter and nozzle are all I've changed on my Hurricane. Mine does not heat the hot water but the book says it 'assists' heating the hot water. The term 'assists' is used loosely.

When I last had mine serviced by ITR at the Gillete FMCA rally the tech said I should run the furnace through at least one heat cycle once a month. I have to admit that I disobey that recommendation as I either don't think of it during hot weather or just can't convince myself to turn it on during the summer.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #4

I have a 2002 36' Intrigue and have only had one problem with my heater, out side of forgetting that when the fuel tank goes below 1/4 it will shut off. I have had to clean out the nozzle a few times and replace one prophetically and carry a spare. The problem I had was a fin in the burn chamber broke loose so I had to take it to a shop and have the parts welded and it works fine. The design is extremely simple and the the folks that support it are fantastic with phone help and have some online videos on how to fix stuff. They did have a recall on the circuit board and I recommend that you contact them about that part. They sent one out for free along with instructions on how to install it. Ours does not heat the hot water but does keep the coach toast on sub freezing nights. I've only had it down to the low 20's or upper teens a few time but it worked great. By the way we love our 36'er. It can fit in a lot of tight spaces and if you just toss some of the stuff you just haul around and don't use you will have plenty of space.
Good Luck
Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Pumper, do you know what the recall on the circuit board corrected?

I know that there was a recall on the units installed in the '03 coaches as they caught fire!

Haven't heard anything about a recall of the '02 models and I did register the warranty card
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #6

We have a Hurricane in our 2002 Affinity. Our experience pretty much parallels the other posts. It is definitely simpler than the Aqua Hot we had in a previous coach, but as others have said, it does not heat domestic hot water. However, there is another feature in some, if not many, Hurricane equipped Country Coaches called "Motor Aid" (sp?). It circulates engine coolant through a heat exchanger bolted to the domestic hot water tank. So going down the road your hot water is kept hot.

We have not yet dry camped so I don't know what the best method of keeping hot water available in those circumstances. It's an "all-electric" coach thus no propane.

All that said, I would not let a Hurricane stop me from buying a particular coach. Like you, I was a little apprehensive at first but the Hurricane has turned out well.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #7

04 vintage Allure with HdroHot. Heats coach and water supply, and has the loop to the engine for both cold weather assisted starts, and conversely the engine also keeps the tank hot so when you pull in off the road you have water ready to go.

We have a single electric element in out model, that keeps the water hot and is good for washing dishes, and for heating over the coach overnight. Unless we're below 40, it usually keeps up with the coach heating demands. Below 40, the diesel will also cycle on when the single element is not enough to keep it hot. The higher models of that year, have a double element (required 50amp, drops to single if on 30amp, I believe). I've been told this does a better job of keeping up with the heating without the diesel needing to kick in.

Normal filter and burner tip maintenance. I will say that in our coach, we can hear the HyroHot burner very clearly when it is on. Much more noise then I had anticipated. Do not know if this is the same for the higher models or not.

Roger Berke's (SP?) site on Aqua/Hydro Hot, is a good source of info. Roger has kits for my specific model, where he recommends preventative maintenance replacement of a few plastic fittings that can go bad. We'll do this in early 2015.

Best of luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Old 07-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #8

We got to Two Rivers, Wi in mid-January of this year. Our Hurricane Heater kept us toasty many, many nights below zero, including two to -16. We were here six weeks before it ever got above freezing. We were able to make arrangements to get heating fuel delivered via truck just like at your home. I think we burned through about 250 gallons.

Ours won't run to make hot water, but when it's running to heat the coach it heats the water also. Our engine will also heat our domestic water.

Keep fuel in the tank, air out of the lines (we keep the fuel return line cracked open about 1/8 turn), and a clean nozzle; and you are good to go.

The people at ITR are stellar for customer service.
2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
However, there is another feature in some, if not many, Hurricane equipped Country Coaches called "Motor Aid" (sp?). It circulates engine coolant through a heat exchanger bolted to the domestic hot water tank. So going down the road your hot water is kept hot.
There is no heat exchanger involved. It is a piece of pipe that is welded to the exterior of the water tank. Hot water from the motor is circulated through this pipe and heats the water.

Some people think that this pipe is on the interior of the tank but this is not true.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

The heat exchanger is internal to the water heater. Coolant lines from the engine connect to a supply and return connection on the tank.
Interestingly, the ultra-high line Country Coach Rhapsody included a Webasto (similar to Hurricane) heater and two tanks to heat water rather than the Aqua-Hot used in the "lesser" coaches.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

Recalls 2002 Country Coach

Here's the sit,e I just googled recall country coach 2002

Recalls of 2002 Country Coach Intrigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Pumper, do you know what the recall on the circuit board corrected?

I know that there was a recall on the units installed in the '03 coaches as they caught fire!

Haven't heard anything about a recall of the '02 models and I did register the warranty card
Old 07-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The heat exchanger is internal to the water heater. Coolant lines from the engine connect to a supply and return connection on the tank............................
There is no heat exchanger per say. It is a piece of pipe welded on the exterior of the water heater tank. The piping is not internal because it could spring a leak and for sure contaminate the fresh water. Here is a paragraph from an Atwood manual.

"The engine heat exchange system allows a motor home to heat the water while traveling. This convenient
option allows you to arrive at your destination with hot water. Operating a pilot or electronic water heater on
gas while in transit is a dangerous practice.
This system consists of a U-shaped aluminum tube that is attached to the outside of the tank with welds. SAE
hoses are attached to both ends of this tube and are spliced into the engine coolant system.

When the engine is running, the hot coolant flows past the tank through this tube and by means of heat
transfer through the welds, heating the water. The design of this system will not allow the water to reach a
boiling point. It will typically heat the water to about 130 F. in about 2-3 hours of driving."

Old 07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
There is no heat exchanger per say. It is a piece of pipe welded on the exterior of the water heater tank.
The pipe transfers heat from the line to the tank and vice versa. Doesn't that make it an heat exchanger?
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
The pipe transfers heat from the line to the tank and vice versa. Doesn't that make it an heat exchanger?
If you want to call it a heat exchanger fine, whatever blows your socks off. However your statement that it is internal is totally wrong

Tags
heater, hurricane