Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Hurricane Heater part what is it???

My Hurricane Heater in my 2002 coach has started leaking from a part outside the heater and dumping antifreeze on the ground. I need to replace this part or get a plug. However I have no idea what the part is. Please see attached photo and let me know if you know what it is. (red arrow) I have speculated that it's a pressure relief valve but I don't know.
Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012720.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	185396  
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 AM   #2

I don't know where to get part of technical name but it is an automatic air burper. If air gets in the line it rises into the can and is allowed to escape and burp out the hose going through the floor. There is a float inside that keeps fluid from coming out but allows the air to escape. Should be a standard burper, maybe a heating supply store? Try this.

113222 - Bell & Gossett 113222 - Model No. 97, 1/8" Automatic Air Vent (Male Threaded)
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

"Air burper" sounds good to me. The Hurricane manual does call for a air trap to be installed in the coolant line but their part doesn't look anything like ours. I would think the one that is linked to will work, I would for sure not use a plastic one.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Thank You funjnt I think you nailed it. I've ordered a new one and it should show up tomorrow. I will report back here with the results. Donw346 it appears to be all brass "non ferrous metal".
Old 12-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
My Hurricane Heater in my 2002 coach has started leaking from a part outside the heater and dumping antifreeze on the ground. I need to replace this part or get a plug. However I have no idea what the part is. Please see attached photo and let me know if you know what it is. (red arrow) I have speculated that it's a pressure relief valve but I don't know.
Thank You
My Magna has one as well. Where does that black hose go?

Rich 2002 Magna
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:19 AM   #6

The black hose is technically called the atmospheric burp delivery mechanism. When a burp is initiated the burper burps thus sending the burp into the atmospheric burp delivery mechanism which vents the burp to the atmosphere.

So when air is in the line it goes into the trap and is vented ouside by the black hose. This keeps the coolant smell outside the coach. In the event of a bad vent unit or burper this keeps the coolant from collecting inside the coach.

Our rig has a webasto and I would like to install a burper actually. We don't have one and once I had the system open and it was a pita to bleed the air out of the system.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

Birdhunter the hose just runs down through the floor of the compartment and vents outside underneath the compartment.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

Update. I thought I needed one of those with a 1/4" pipe thread. However I found that the 1/8" male on the auto vent is screwed into an existing adapter. My new one has what looks to be a valve stem in it and it was removed on my old one. I didn't get it installed until just before dark so We'll use the heat pumps until it gets too cold then turn on the furnace in the morning and check it out for leaks. Thanks again Funjnt it was right on.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #9

Final update: The new air relief valve works no leaks. I have taken the old one apart and found a build up of sediment. I suspect that if I cleaned it up and put it back in it would continue to work. But with a new on costing less than $10 I'll keep the new one. However I have a recently cleaned one for sale if you need it.

Tags
heat, heater, hurricane