Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hurricane Hydronic Heat

I have a used 2001 CC 42' Affinity with Hurricane hydronic heat. The manufacturer shows surge and overflow tanks, I can't find them on this coach. Also the air intake has something missing, as there is only a round plastic flange at the rear of the heater. One picture of the battery bay shows what appears to be a round air filter. Anyone know if there are surge and overflow tanks and is there supposed to be a air intake filter? The dealer was suppose fix the hydronic heat before I picked it up, but when I tried the system at home it shuts off indicating running flame out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The surge tank is actually the radiator expansion tank. CC did this to save a few bux and it doesn't make any difference anyway. CC did put a nice, chrome air cleaner on the unit but it isn't needed and is not recommended according to Hurricane.

Depending on how long it has been since the unit has been run for any length of time, you might want to open the purge valve on the unit a turn or two to purge air out of the system. Air in the system will cause a flame out. There are other things that will cause a flame out including a plugged nozzle.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #3

I spent a year and a half getting mine to run well. Air in the lines can be caused by fuel lines that have leaks. Mine did. I had them replaced. You can look in the fuel filter line on the hydro hot to see if there is air bubbling up. If there is you likely will have to replace fuel lines.

In the regular maintenance of the Hydro hot you either clean or replace the burner. When I replaced my burner and replaced the fuel line mine started running well. Almost all the time.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Like any hydronic system there is a certain amount of maintenance required for a Hurricane system, but ours has run over 1,000 hours this year without serious issues. When I've needed support, the folks at Hurricane Heating Systems | International Thermal Research have been very helpful.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hurricane hydronic heat

Thanks for all the replies. I did see the surge tank, but didn't realize it is for the heating system. It is empty but the larger engine tank is full. Buddy Gregg had the coach for a week after we bought it, working to get the hydronic heat operating. Should have checked it out before we got home in Cincinnati. I'll check out the noozle. Do you use the purge valve while the unit is running, sometimes it will restart a couple of times and cycle on and off for 30 to 45 minutes and then die. I did replace the fuel filter, which appears to have extended the run time. The fuel filter does not have air bubbling in it, but there is an air pocket at the top of the filter above the inlet line. The filter is on it's side. If the air filter isn't there I guess there should be a pipe or hose extended up away from all the road dirt and water that might be present at the low level of the air intake? It is cold up here and this coach is not fitting in our barn. Either work on the heat, modify the barn or just head south for the winter. Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #6

About 9 or so years ago, I had a Safari Serengeti with Hurricane Heat. I had several problems with it flaming out also....How I finally fixed it was to replace the fuel pump. I went to Napa and bought a 12v inline pump and replaced it including a new filter and never had any more problems with the unit.
Just a thought....I worked for me.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

Hurricane Heat

Hey Hawg,
Just a for what it's worth, my Hurricane heater came with a small chrome air filter holder (with air filter) on top of it. 2 set screws hold it on the air intake.
On the bleeder (purge) valve, I run mine about 1/8 to 1/4 turn open all the time. For me it eliminated flame outs.
I keep my coach outdoors, and although it isn't too cold here in NM, I leave the Hurricane on just in case.
I am just guessing, that you will have to eventually replace the Hurricane fuel lines. That's on my list as they were notorius for cracks and leaks during our year production.

Luck
Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hurricane heat

Howdy Bob,
Thanks for taking time to help me. Assume there was one on the coach at one time. Buddy Gregg in Knoxville worked on the coach for a week and I assume the filter got lost in the process. I work part time at an auto parts store and can obtain the parts to replace the filter if you can give me the approximate size of the filter? Figured the MH would have some issues due to age. Next hurdle is an air leak somewhere in the front of the of the air system.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #9

Hey again Hawg,

I will get you the dimensions etc for the filter housing and filter probably tomorrow, (snow predicted for southern NM) also, somewhere I have the NAPA filter element part number.

What kind of air leak are you experiencing?

Luck,
Bob
Old 12-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air system leak

Bob,
Not sure of where the leak is. The left front appears to bleed down further than the right front. The back does not seem the leak. If I level the MH the front will go down relatively fast, in a few hours. I do have some the user information which shows a diagram of the air system but I'm not comfortable getting under the MH or up in the front with the generator out without the battery disconnected and chassis raised up to allow room should the air bags deflate. You have snow and we have record rain (184 days this year). Had a 2004 gasser before this MH, which was alot simpler and easy to work on. The gasser fit in our barn, but I will need to modify the entrance to fit the CC in. Would be nice to be able to work inside

Herb
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #11

For what it is worth, a Hurricane company employee told me to get rid of the "cute" air cleaner. It is not needed. The Hurricane moves a lot of air and the air cleaner impedes that flow.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #12

Herb,

Couldn't find the NAPA part number, but the air cleaner element is basically a 4" x 2".
A Mr. Gasket #1489A fits perfectly.

Mr. Gasket - Air Filter - Replacement Element - 4" X 2" - White - Part #1489A

The diameter of the air cleaner chrome housing throat is 2.6 inches where it attaches to the Hydronic heater.

Luck,
Bob
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #13

What fuel filter(s) are folks using? I have a Hurricane 45k btu unit in my 2003 Lexa, there's a samll 1/4" inline fuel filter, a Mahle something.06.01 (can't read first digits) and can't find on the web. I assume any similar 1/4" inline diesel filter should work?

There's a MUCH larger screw-on 10-micron filter shown at the Hurricane site in their accessories (page 13 of http://itrheat.com/wp-content/upload...cessoriesF.pdf ) but I think I'd have to extend one line and find a place to mount the filter to, which is probably overkill.

I got an error 3 (and furnace shut off overnight, had to go outside and reset the unit, couldn't reset from the remote) "Fuel pump/solenoid shorted" but it worked fine for another two days once reset (haven't tried using since then, other than a quick trial today, which is a couple of weeks after the problem happened). I'm thinking that perhaps there was a high current draw on the pump as I've never changed the filter and perhaps there's a fuel restriction (had the unit one year, but it's now been 9 years since it was built).

If I still get the error with a new filter, I'll likely just replace both the solenoid and pump as well as the nozzle and basically rebuild the unit.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #14

My Hurricane has just the little opaque filter on the outside. I have replaced it with a generic one from the auto parts store. On mine, you can watch the fuel in the filter pulse as the fuel pump pumps.

Don't go just replacing parts to see if something works. I would wait until I had a hard failure before replacing anything. Rixen is an excellent source of info. Call them and they can walk you through some troubleshooting procedures so you can narrow down the problem.

You might have had a air pocket in the fuel line and that caused the shutdown.

Tags
hurricane